Urban Decay Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Urban Decay Cosmetics CEO Tim Warner
Tim Warner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Your up to date on the latest make up trends and from time to time you can get free makeup (in 11 reviews)

• Great people, bring your dog to work, free make up (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I carry my work phone with me everywhere, so it can be tough to create work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management has unrealistic goals for Beauty Artists with 0 trainings or support (in 20 reviews)

"Best "Start-Up" Experience of my Life :)"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management: There is no other Cosmetic Brand who's Leadership Team works hands on with their teams, one on one, on an everyday basis. They are encouraged and challenged everyday to figure out how they can provide the best support to bring out the best qualities in their employers/beauty artists.

Growth: Starting from the interviewing process, this brand looks for candidates that they potentially see growth in, so there is opportunity for growth on many spectrums. Such as leadership, artistry, event planning, training, and business development.

Teamwork: Ive had the pleasure to work with some of the brightest, and highly driven minds at this brand. The open door policy is naturally practiced in their culture. When you had an issue with finding a solution, your fellow colleagues would gladly help assist you for support. Because the interview process was selective, it was because the brand was selecting "family members" to grow and develop together with. I never felt alone when hitting a wall in my roll in the sales field, someone was always there, happy to help me. In turn, the Brand challenged me on how I could continue to motivate my teams with working together towards a common goal daily.

Entrepreneurship: As a Beauty Artist, you are taught to develop a skill set of running your own professional business. By gaining a client base, maintaining relationships, and networking when new product launches or events are happening. These skill sets are essential in running any business like in Real Estate or owning a Boutique of your own. I commend Urban Decay for introducing realistic concepts of entrepreneurial skills that are needed in any role you have in your career path.

Product: Its the best! Amazing quality at a great price. Innovating and inspiring with their marketing of product launches. Beats out luxury, name brand cosmetics!

Cons

Organization: If you haven't had the opportunity to master organizational skills, you may run into some riffs with managing your role. Urban Decay is a fast paced brand that is growing rapidly, so rolling with the punches and adding more to your plate comes with the territory. This is hugely important!

Feedback: If you have a difficult time remaining open to feedback, this Brand is not for you. Urban Decay delivers clear objectives on a weekly basis to their employees to help develop them in mastering their roles.

2. "Positive experience as a Regulatory Specialist"

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Emphasis on teamwork, time management, organization are required.

Cons

A hands off approach my management my at times lead to frustration.

"Once upon a time, Urban Decay was great. Then they expanded and stopped caring about their employees."

Former Employee - Beauty Artist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Beauty Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gratis. Cool T shirts with new product launches. Benefits- PTO and vacation. Cool Brand. Good Products. Some great management. Paid Weekly.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    -Upper management has unrealistic goals for Beauty Artists with 0 trainings or support. There is never any artistry trainings or coaching, so most of the time we have to fend for ourselves.
    -There are 0 weekends off, which means no work life balance. If we want a weekend off, it must be requested for approval, which means a bargain or compromise will be thrown at you to get you out of it. Or the "no coverage" rule will be thrown at you and a vacation time must be used. Which is ridiculous. What company never allows at least one Saturday off while their is coverage.
    -The Stock issue is Embarrassing. Their is never enough stock to meet the high demand for their most wanted products. Yet, we are still held accountable for reaching our goals. Let's not talk about the 5k event goals, that we are expected to make with everything almost out of stock. Repeat customers have to be sent to other retailers just to restock on the foundation or favorite items in which my influence and expertise made them buy it and love it. So there goes my sale and repeat business. There was a point my location was out of stock of ALL black eyeliners. Deeper tone foundations and powder were gone for months. Replenishment takes months. Upper Management's response was sell a lighter foundation, "your the expert".
    -NO GROWTH with in. They will sell you the dream and tell you to keep selling and keep proving yourself. I was with Urban decay for 3 years, I knew the ins and outs, I was a very good seller. I was due for a promotion because of my abilities and passion to lead a team. I was denied a promotion TWICE, while they searched outside for management or field positions. To only hire under qualified Managers that needed MY training and my direction to perform their day to day job functions.
    -They are the ONLY company that do not pay Time in a half (For working on holidays such as 4th of July, Thanksgiving, New Years Day) or holiday pay. At one point, we were getting it and the next they labeled it as a mistake. Because it is a counter operated with 4 people max, you will always work a holiday or so.
    -Upper Management, can be too much. They constantly change rules and paperwork. A lot of times their rules, just ruin what was already GREAT! One of the newly appointed Sales Executives treated the counter as a Daycare, tracking our every move. If we were 10 minutes early or 5 minutes late. There was always a problem or an issue. BA's felt uncomfortable and threatened. a miserable petty work environment was created which deterred us from the actual end goal which is to sell and have fun!
    -Urban decay was great. But because of the hard work from their BA's and field team, they expanded and began to make budget cuts and stopped caring about their workers.

Advice to Management

Promote from with in.
    Appreciate and Talk to the team to build morale and be successful.
    Don't work against BA's; work with them.
    Be realistic. Allow BA's to have a weekend off. Understand people have families.

4. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gratis is always a positive thing to add, and the product quality itself is amazing. There isn't much else to say that's positive.

Cons

Cut throat, secretive, unprofessional management , micromanagement, have to be a retail robot. If they don't like you, trust me, You won't last. If you are having a difficult time learning the operations, say good bye to your job.. Now I completely understand why there is such a HUGE turn over rate with this company. They would rather get rid of you then to try and support you and help you grow, then literally force you to resign. Such a huge disappointment. It's a shame because the product is amazing, unfortunately working for the company is NOT.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Get to know your employees and learn compassion and patience.

"Remember How You Got to Where You Are"

Pros

GREAT products! Great benefits, valuable opportunity to work with some of the hardest working and talented people in the industry

Cons

You will hear "Have Fun" and "Work Life Balance" often. It is everything but that. They have many buzz words, but just because they are said, doesn't make them real. Travel is sometimes 5 or more hours per day, plus 7-8 hours on the sales floor. You often have to work on your days off to catch up on paperwork. Salary is lower than industry standard, expectations and hours worked are higher. You are expected to be extremely hard, unreasonable (including what color pen they use), and have unattainable expectations with your CMs and BAs. When you don't do that, you are written up. Expected to do events with no product. CM's and BAs are extremely undervalued and just a $65 SPH to management. All retailers allow their employees a weekend off per month and time and a half for Holidays... All except for UD employees. The HR department is expanding in size, where the sales field is depleting. Too many cooks in the kitchen, no concrete policies, no communication, management works against you every day, horrible turnover at every level. I got to the point where I would stay awake until 3 AM every night because I didn't want the next day to come.
    I will also say that I had never met a more talented and passionate sales team! It broke my heart to disappoint them so often with inaccurate info or continuous changing of rules from higher up.
    When I 1st started someone there had told me that working for UD is like being in an abusive relationship... I didn't understand then, but I understand all too well now. Most of the previous bad reviews are accurate and also we were asked in February to write reviews to bring up their rating.
    So disappointing and heartbreaking because the product is amazing, people are so talented, and their message is inspiring but unfortunately not what they're really about.

Advice to Management

Value the talented employees that you have. Remember that you are where you are, because they helped get you there.

"Great pay horrible management"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, gratis, good training

Cons

Revolving door of management, no handbook, no real rules

Advice to Management

Care about your employees not just about the "needs of the business" maybe you can keep employees

7. "If You Want to Keep Your Life...Run!"

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time

Pros

- Nice perks
    - Bonuses
    - Makeup

Cons

- No work/life balance
    - Too much Inconsistency
    - Too much travel

8. "All work and no play"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis and travel were a plus

Cons

All about budget cuts and saving money with no employee recognition or compensation. No work life balance.

9. "Better to be a customer than employee"

Pros

You get a lot of free makeup. Some nice BA's to work with. You're able to get a weekend off every now and then, with approval from management.

Cons

Favoritism; the process for promotions often seems to be the ASM appointing someone w/o any particular process. Unrealistic goals. Empty promises of bonuses and growth as stores continue to lose money. Promotions so consistent, customers won't shop without them. Too few skus to realistically expect customers to return to stores beyond replenishment of few loyalty products. Pro members get a higher discount than staff (40% & 30%). No paid holidays for retail employees. No time and a half on holidays and PT does not get vacation. HR is manipulative and sarcastic and seems to enjoy bullying. Upper management knowledge is full of blind spots (serving alcohol to customers w/o liquor license, naive to CA labor laws, etc...) No clear understanding of how L'Oréal or UD works from top down, lots of confusion. Many, many terminations.

BTW-- if you are the kind of person that enjoys singing Beyoncé at the top of your lungs, saying YASSS QUEEN frequently and twerking with the ASM, you won't be out of place.

Advice to Management

Have someone qualified train upper management and HR. Create an employee handbook. Maintain a professional work environment from the top down.

"Unprofessional"

Pros

Product quality is above average.

Cons

Very unprofessional Senior Level Management Staff