Urban Decay Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Urban Decay Cosmetics CEO Tim Warner
Tim Warner

Pros
  • Great people, bring your dog to work, free make up (in 7 reviews)

• Nice location, bring your dog to work, community garden (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is 100% non existent (in 9 reviews)

• Most departments are overloaded with work due to constant last minute changes by upper management (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"fast-paced growing company"

Pros

free makeup. l'oreal gratis. bring your dog to work. 401k. pension. close to beach. casual dress code. summer Fridays. free weekly in-office yoga. amazing co-workers. great health benefits including discount gym memberships, life coaches, local workout class discounts. community garden. free feminine products in bathrooms. weekly on-site car wash guy. food trucks. work life balance

Cons

open office environment - i personally like this, but it can be a con if you're on the phone and someone is being too loud. limited parking. corporate processes. slow computer network and frustrating tech issues, but IT department is awesome.

Advice to Management

encourage more general HQ team building outside of volunteer day and our holiday party.

2. "Growth-oriented Company"

I have been working at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Urban Decay HQ for less than a year but I can say without a doubt that this has been my favorite place to call a job. There's always something new taking place which brings excitement. The word "corporate" is no way to describe this office environment. The energy is light and the office pups keep it fun. The spirit of the UD brand is well represented through the halls as an edgy antidote to the "stuffy" vibes other offices usually embody. I'm fortunate enough to be part of a team I enjoy working with everyday. And of course, can't forget about the perks: lots of free product! In addition to good health benefits.

To be a part of a growing, ever-changing company is so fulfilling that it inspires you to do more and I'm hopeful that my time at Urban Decay will be a long and prosperous one.

Cons

Parking can be a little tight sometimes.

3. "Create your own destiny"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Urban Decay is a unique and fun environment. The office décor embodies the brand and makes for a creative atmosphere. I have noticed that the people that work here are incredibly driven and passionate about what they do. They all have very different personality's that make work fun and interesting. I personally love the diversity. We all work very hard and after working here for a few months you quickly learn that change is frequent. Anyone who has worked in beauty or retail know that it's ever changing, not always the easiest, extremely fast paced and UD is no different. If you embrace change and know that YOU HAVE TO BE FLEXIBLE you will excel here. Great perks with the product, bringing your dog to work and summer hours. The benefit package is nice. Overall, my experience has been positive.

Cons

The parking is mostly street parking which can be frustrating. You have to be on a wait list to get a spot.The office can get loud at times as it is an open environment. It's a hit the ground running philosophy and more training could be implemented.

Advice to Management

More training when you first start. Coaching would be helpful throughout the year. Positive feedback is always appreciated and encouraged . More team building events. Finally, more information from L'Oreal would be helpful to understand the big picture.

"Popularity contest"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free make up, traveling, no clocking in

Cons

So many to list
    Management is a mean girls club with no personal growth themselves
    Everything is run by a former NFL cheerleader and it feels like that!

Advice to Management

Grow up and get rid of the cheerleader for a boss

"Corporate Office Nightmare"

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits and pay are satisfactory. Office is close to the beach and lunch spots. They offer Summer Friday's (if you work in a dept. that embraces them) and allow a casual dress code.

Cons

Talented employees are not utilized to their fullest potential, leaving many unmotivated, unhappy and looking for new jobs. The low morale is difficult to escape even for the most optimistic personalities and results in gossip and an overall negative work environment.

Most departments are overloaded with work due to constant last minute changes by upper management. Hours a day are spent in pointless mandatory meetings with no outcomes due to upper management not being available. The company is also rapidly growing and is not staffed appropriately for the global demand with some departments enduring very long and frustrating work days due to lack of direction from upper management and an increasing workload.

As an earlier poster mentioned, office politics here are scary. Upper management lacks ownership and shifts blame to employees frequently for missed milestones. Several instances of questionable behavior by senior members, very disappointing.

If you have talent go somewhere else to work, your ideas and expertise will not be valued at Urban Decay. While it may look like the coolest place to work it's really not. It lacks good leadership, organization and passion for its people.

Advice to Management

This place doesn't want to be helped - look how many bad reviews there are, it's no coincidence.

7. "A stepping stone into the cosmetics world"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A company driven by sales and building relationships with customers. Has growth opportunities with new counters and stores opening throughout the US. Maintains it's edge in the cosmetics industry by not following trends.

Cons

There is a lack of management training, at times felt like I was being led by someone that lacked the proper training as a sales coordinator and sales executive due to their aggressive communication. There is no artistry training or product knowledge taught, it's all done on the sales floor with no hygiene standards.

"Terrible upper management & toxic work env't"

I have been working at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Like others have said, it's nice to not have a dress code and a dog-friendly env't. There's free food but it makes you fat eating all of it and there's no more gratis because no more freebie bin. Not many perks at this point.

Cons

Comments about upper management not knowing what the heck they're doing is 100% true. Office politics is real, the women are catty, and the work env't is beyond toxic. Management in my particular department is a wreck. Where is HR? Why are they not looking into this? I'm treated like a child and my hard work is overlooked. I work 40+ hours a week and I can say I am miserable. Whatever you do, look for another job somewhere else. It isn't worth it. The company culture will make you sick and the management style will ruin you. There is NO work/life balance. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Where is HR?!!!! Why are they not fixing all the issues with upper management. It's so freaking obvious how upper management's failure to do the simplest things end up coming full circle and biting everyone in the butt. It is truly a waste of everyone's time.

"Steer clear of Visual Merchandising you deserve better!"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandising in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, that is all you get here. The pros do not outweigh the cons, just don’t work for this department or you will regret it. You won’t last, you will either quit or be fired.

Cons

This particular department has the worst management I have ever encountered. Senior management would consume their own young if it helped them get a promotion or a new undeserved title. The fact that some people are punished, written off as useless or fired for the smallest thing, while some of THE most egregious HR acts (from management) went unpunished tell you enough about how this place is run.

Advice to Management

Obviously you don't want to fix the problems as this has how the department has been run for years.

"Toxic corporate environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UD is a fun and exciting brand, dog-friendly office, generous with product, part of L'Oreal structure

Cons

One of the most toxic environments I've ever worked in. Employees are more than ready and happy to stab each other in the back, and there is no authentic collaboration with co-workers. Upper management play the politics game with each other and employees, promoting those who know how to manipulate the system vs hard workers. High turnover as people get burnt out quickly.

Advice to Management

Appreciate all UD employees, not the select group of favorites. Foster cooperation and collaboration between teams.

11. "Coodinator"

I have been working at Urban Decay Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, gratis, travel, full benefits, mileage.

Cons

Lots of events that require you to work 12 hour days and still drive 2-3 hours home on salary.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice to give to them