KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Urban Outfitters Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2021

Found 3,675 of over 3,807 reviews

3.7
Urban Outfitters CEO Sheila Harrington (no image)
Sheila Harrington
Pros
  • "Great discount, amazing colleagues, understanding about mental health(in 343 reviews)

• "Employee discount is good (40% off Urban Brands, 25% off home/lifestyle(in 251 reviews)

• Cons
  • "None I can think of, except standing for long hours but that's the case with most retail jobs(in 165 reviews)

• "Staff receive minimum wage not reflective of living requirements(in 91 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Urban Outfitters and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

love

Jul 28, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

good community great discount easy job good benefits for higher positions

Cons

grueling work long hours for difficult customers tedious work sometime management is unorganized

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

I Got Paid To Fold Clothes

Jul 14, 2021 - Sales Associate in Emeryville, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to come as you are, which I love. Dressing in a uniform has never been something that I wanted to do. I got to flex my creative/style muscle by constantly putting new fits together that would've just been sitting in my closet collecting dust with the tags still on them. Speaking of clothes the discounts by far were what kept me working aside from the homies I made working at the company. A standard 40% off clothes and then UO Brand Clothing items (3) 60% a month was amazing. I can't speak for every store however, my store was pretty dope, I got to meet some amazing people and have grown as a person and not only as an employee within the company. All of my managers where pretty chill with me. I came in did what I was told and clocked out.

Cons

If theft is something that irks you, please leave your emotions outside the store, this was something that irked my soul to its core, however I had o realize that there was nothing I could do. I've also had co-workers be physically assaulted by customers ( punched in the face) and there's nothing that was done. I've also had other sales associates talk to me about feeling like they've received unfair and racial treatment from managers.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Extremely boring

Jul 10, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee discounts Ability to meet cool people

Cons

This position was genuinely mind numbing for me. I mean that in the way that it was an extremely boring job with very little mental stimulation. Unless I was put on the register, which was quite rare, I would spend hours and hours standing walking around the store with nothing to do. They had a few main people they would put on registers for their every shift, while everybody else was on the sales floor bored to death. When the standards of clothing were absolutely perfect and there was nothing left to fix, there was nothing to do. They tell you "just keep working on standards" which is so hard to do with everything looks perfect. So Id walk around alone in silence for hours on end with no mental stimulation. We would get in trouble for talking to other coworkers, even when the store was empty. So with so little social contact, and nothing to do for hours, I was miserable. There were many other issues I had with working here and issues with managers not being the nicest, but honestly what I mentioned was the worst part.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Average Experience

Jul 29, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working retail isn't typically outstanding. I think the pros you can look forward to are pretty standard across the board: employee discount, connecting with diverse people groups of people (depends on location of store), exposure to new trends.

Cons

Urban Outfitters needs to pay their employees more. I've worked at several locations at often times we were severely understaffed. Employees have to take on several roles to keep the store afloat. This needs to be reflected in pay. I worked this job in undergrad and I was essentially living paycheck to paycheck. There are very few competitive benefits. Also the shoplifting policies are very discriminatory, which is ultimately a reflection of the company's racist and queerphobic leadership.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not a great work environment

Jul 30, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This job has good employee discounts. At least three times a year you may get 60% as employee gratification. Every other time you get 40% off items (both online and in-store), some household and sale items are excluded.

Cons

Depending on the store it may be managed very effectively or it can be a total disaster. There is not a lot of room to grow with the company. Management positions are usually held by a number of employees for a long time and promotions are not really big within the company.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

na

Jul 24, 2021 - Assistant Manager in Dedham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

this discount is really good. 40 percent of everything and 60 percent a month. also the mix of employees.

Cons

favoritism can really be the worse enemy at the job. i can’t really say that i have had a huge negative experience with the job though.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Overall company

Jul 28, 2021 - Retail Manager in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great employees who are eager to learn, good pay and benefits, easy(ish) room to grow

Cons

People who have been in the company for a long time seem threatened by external hires, some store managers weren't personable or knew how to get a management team to come together. Some co-managers may explain or teach you something incorrectly to make you look bad. This was just one store experience however, other store experiences were much, much, much better

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

great company

Jul 28, 2021 - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

creative, upbeat, inclusive, motivating, exciting

Cons

Pay could be better for all positions

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic Environment

Jul 6, 2021 - Designer in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The campus itself is awesome. Many of the assistants and mid level designers & buyers are super hard working, good people and v talented.

Cons

Unfortunately many of the upper level staff eg directors, managers, don't know what they're doing. The structure and ways of working changes on a monthly basis. To get ahead you must have a narcissistic personality. They hire and fire on a regular basis and there is no HR, so there is no one to go to if you have any issues. I enjoyed my time there for the first few months and then quickly realized just how toxic it was. Pretty much scarred for life after my experience there.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Assistant Manager

Jul 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay Fun team Benefits Vacation and sick time Room for growth

Cons

Higher management doesn’t seem to care all that much about in-store employees

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,675 Reviews