Urban Outfitters Reviews | Glassdoor

1,945 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,945 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • employee discount and no dress code (in 129 reviews)

• great discount overall cool staff, good job for students (in 211 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time

Pros

The culture of the company is great

Cons

Difficult to move up from the retail level

2. "Good for a part time job"

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time

Pros

Staff discount
    Work friends
    Good for shift work if studying

Cons

Closing the store can take hours if everything is not perfect

3. "Yes and No"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is very relaxed. My coworkers are amazing and the environment is probably one of the best I’ve ever worked in. The learning curve was also very small since there wasn’t really much to learn.

Cons

I commute to work and the jobs pay doesn’t really afford the gas to do so. This wouldn’t be a problem if I could move closer but because all Urban’s tend to be in the inner city everything is more expensive.

"It May Be A Good Part Time Job..."

Former Employee - Customer Sales Lead in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Lead in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally, there was great team to work with, there's a changing work environment with different tasks throughout your time. Overall, you can experience a lot and have great stories to tell. If you like their clothes and products, you will like the discount (esp. during Employee Appreciation). Most stores work with employees to schedule hours that work around your schedule. If you are looking to work at a UO sister store like Anthro or BHLDN or Free People, it's not an easy process, but there is a way to move up from Urban to those stores, which typically have more intimate teams. After four years, I experienced working in every department team of our store. My final two years were working directly with the Women's Accessories & Women's Departments, where I worked directly with my department managers on a weekly basis. This really helped me learn about the business and gave me a lot of sales & merchandising experience.

Cons

UO in my experience did not encourage employees to move up in the company. They are excited by hiring from outside, frankly, because it gives some new life in the store. The pay is actually below market rate for most retail stores (with no profit share or incentive structure). The company is very top down & does not incentivize stores or employees to engage with or market to their own customer base or market. After working there for four years, having a special position created for me as a part time employee with excellent reviews & performance, I left for more money and more opportunities that UO really didn't want to give. For a company that sells a creative life, they do not reflect that in the corporate structure or management. There is a reason that they lose a lot more employees than comparable retail stores.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Prioritize promotions from within. Give individual stores greater access to marketing and sales strategies that directly engage with their specific market- instead of a top down regional marketing strategy that does not accurately reflect local needs/conditions.

Have more fun! It seems weird, but the store often got really intense and there was an immense pressure on employees that make minimum or near minimum wage.

This is a side note, but I hope UO continues to remind employees that they actually have a pretty good, anonymous whistle-blower system. There were times that warranted some serious inquiries and at the time it wasn't always known how to inform someone outside the store what was going on. Employees often forget that there is a system to inform corporate of questionable actions occurring.

5. "Good way to make extra money"

Pros

Managers were flexible with schedule

Cons

Wasn't enough money to live off

6. "Sales Associate"

Pros

good discount / work environment

Cons

not very understanding to students and scheduling

"No respect for creativity whatsoever"

Former Employee - Print Designer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Print Designer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly amazing co-workers.
    Discount

Cons

Soul crushing disrespect for designers - I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
    Do not take a job here if you have any respect for yourself, they hire talent and break your confidence through bad management and impossible deadlines.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they ask for help. Don’t just let them all leave, miserable and broken.

"Sales Associate"

I have been working at Urban Outfitters part-time

Pros

Great vibe, great coworkers, great music. Honestly, you will encounter some of the best people you'll ever meet.

Cons

Managers are a hit or miss. Hard to grow within the company.

Advice to Management

If your associates show any interest in growing with the company-- help them.

"Great Overall"

Current Employee - Designer in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Designer in Phila, PA

I have been working at Urban Outfitters full-time

Pros

Fun product, relaxed environment, dog friendly, friendly co-workers, relatively low-stress, rarely have to work late, very approachable executives, easy to talk with management. Independent and entrepreneurial.

Cons

Disorganized, unfair and unequal pay structure, bad official communication between management / higher-ups and team, physically dusty and disorganized workplace.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to improve communication with team members, work on transparency in terms of new hires, work to include designers in decision-making and cross-functional conversations

"good job but can be frustrating"

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time

Pros

Good Discount, flexible, really teaches you alot

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth, favoritism, lacking any communication between managers

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the hard workers that work their butt off, give them better opportunities

Showing 1,945 of 1,976 reviews