Cover image for Urban Outfitters

62% Recommend to a Friend
56% Approve of CEO

Found 4,712 of over 5K reviews

3.6
Urban Outfitters CEO Sheila Harrington (no image)
Sheila Harrington

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with Friendly customers for the most part Comfortable ambiance in store Really enjoyed the music taste(in 413 reviews)
  • "You will meet great coworkers here & make friends that also make you want to stay(in 251 reviews)
  • "Fun work environment and coworkers(in 128 reviews)
  • "Benefits are good and dress code is good(in 97 reviews)
  • "Great team to work with and I had a manager I enjoyed who invested in my growth.(in 93 reviews)
Cons
  • "Pay is low and you feel like a second rate employee if you don't work at the philly campus(in 482 reviews)
  • "and poor management(in 371 reviews)
  • "The department managers don't ever help with floor maintenance and delegate tasks without knowledge of time(in 221 reviews)
  • "We were all on zero hours contracts.The hours were long and we were never given rewards or praise.(in 201 reviews)
  • "There is clear and obvious favoritism(in 95 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Urban Outfitters and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Chill workplace

Dec 4, 2022 - Team Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is really cool. It’s not super exhausting.

Cons

No fixed schedule which can be annoying.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Plenty of Opportunities, Low Pay

Nov 7, 2022 - Keyholder
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Fast upward mobility if you have a DBL who is actively promoting from within. - Relaxed environment where you’re free to express yourself. - Enjoyed the team I worked with. It was a collaborative environment where management looked out for each other. Highly dependent on the store you’re working in. - Generous employee discount. - Good health benefits if you’re full time. - You can grow here.

Cons

- Heavily dependent on the district you’re working in. The district manager can make or break the environment. Some prefer promoting existing employees, some don’t. Some are hands on and supportive, some aren’t. - Hilariously low pay depending on where you live. Pay is non-negotiable. - If you’re in lower level management, expect to get worked past your limits for low pay. Lots of responsibility without the title. - Training is nonexistent. You’ll teach yourself what you need to know. - Lots of callouts every single day. Other managers are always reluctant to discipline associates for this. It creates a stressful environment where you’re trying to do two jobs at once.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Urban Outfitters team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Standard Retail

Nov 7, 2022 - Retail Sales Associate in Princeton, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

- you get 20-30% off employee discount - very flexible with hours. I was a college student that was commuting to school every day. Management was very accommodating to my schedule - not difficult work - It's a pretty standard retail job. I've worked at three retail stores overall. Looking at the level of stress and responsibilities, this was on the lower end and fairly easy job to do

Cons

- The employees, specifically the Team Leads are the most difficult to work with if you do not see yourself moving higher up in the retail industry. For most of the employees there with me, we were working and going to school or planning to- so priorities were not on learning how to perfect a t-shirt fold. The managers are great - super nice and hands-off. I had positive experiences with them - it's the Team Leads that sit on the cusp of being an entry level sales associate and manager that think they own the store and probably yell at the newbies more than management. - I thought I would deal with more difficult customers - but rarely every had to do that. People are generally sweet when they come in. It is Princeton, so I thought the customers would be rude or snobby, but rarely got any difficult customers.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Starting Job

Dec 2, 2022 - Retail Associate in Omaha, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

discount is great, fun environment, can wear fun outfits to work

Cons

after my manager left, we did not have good leadership

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good

Dec 5, 2022 - Sales Associate in Cardiff, AL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Discount is good! 40% off full price

Cons

Not a lot really! Maybe rotas

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good experience

Dec 5, 2022 - Part Time Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

In a very communicative and positive environment, there were a lot of creative individuals I worked with. Very organized and social workplace while being professional at the same time. Many sales associates were highly knowledgeable about the merchandise of the store.

Cons

Not enough hours were given with full availability

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Enjoyed it

Nov 21, 2022 - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment to work in. They care about you and have an overall positive environment. Good discount too. Respect your class schedule.

Cons

No major cons come to mind besides basic retail struggles

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Used to be a fun workplace, not so much now

Oct 22, 2022 - Store Brand Leader
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits! Good discount, amazing health insurance, even pet insurance!

Cons

Whew… there’s a lot to unload. Too top heavy, as in sooooo much money is spent at the home office level while stores get the bare minimum in resources. My store comped three years in a row, but home office continually cut our payroll to the point that it was unmanageable and unsafe. I won a contest and got a trip to home office, which was nice but I would have preferred to have the money spent for my trip on extra payroll for my store. Long story short, the high ups were pompous and disingenuous. They acted like the feedback from the people that actually run their stores was worthless. Totally disrespectful. Trish, I’m looking at you.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee

No Hr. No one to turn to.

Dec 6, 2022 - Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Dogs, a free gym and casual attire.

Cons

No hr. Managers run departments how ever they please. Aged our employees are often exited. Low pay for the industry

11. 5.0
    Current Employee

Perfect company to work for

Oct 4, 2022 - Urban Outfiters Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company strives at making all their employees feel like a family, as well as perfectly show how much they value their employees. As a minority, when an employee mentioned something to me that was racially motivated, the staff and company handled it perfectly. They were able to take their time and execute how to properly manage this problem and reminded me that I do have every right to be upset. Urban Outfitters made me feel valued and appreciated for all three years I worked with them.

Cons

Urban Outfitters circulate clothing pretty quickly, so it was hard to keep up with what should be displayed to customers and what should not.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 4,712 Reviews
</>Embed

Urban Outfitters Reviews FAQs

Urban Outfitters has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 4,905 reviews left anonymously by employees. 62% of employees would recommend working at Urban Outfitters to a friend and 45% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Urban Outfitters employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Urban Outfitters. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

62% of Urban Outfitters employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Urban Outfitters 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Urban Outfitters to be benefits, workplace, coworkers and the cons to be culture, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Urban Outfitters Job Seekers