Urban Science Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Urban Science President Jim Anderson
Jim Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I've also found an acceptable work/life balance and appreciate the flexibility to work from home on occasion when needed (in 8 reviews)

• There is a diverse work environment where there are numerous female leaders and leaders of different backgrounds and ethnicities in every department I (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management has no clue what is going on (in 8 reviews)

• Employees work long hours due to aggressive delivery dates (in 6 reviews)

1. "Aspects of a great company, but some issues"

Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Urban Science full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nashville has fantastic work environment.
    Management in Nashville cares about employees.
    Promote from within, so ample opportunity to move up.

Cons

Executive team seems committed to operating with skeleton crew and pushing more work out of people. When somebody leaves you have to validate the need for that position all the while sacrificing to cover the work.
    Ever increasing profit and revenue goals without increasing headcount.
    Not sure I agree that where company is trying to go is what they are best at.

Advice to Management

Urban Science is much more successful as consultants and data scientists than they area as programmers. Trying to change and become a software service provider will require a much better and organized development team.

2. "Developer"

Current Employee - Developer in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Urban Science full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Teammates are very patient and friendly. They are willing to help out all the time when you are having rough time.
    - There are quite a bit of employee events to keep employees energetic.
    - Flexible working schedule and managers allow working from home when necessary.
    - You get to work with many people from different department and from different location.
    - Great benefit such as 18 days of PTO (Starting), unlimited sick time, $7000 per year for tuition, $250 per year for gym membership, and more.
    - Game room is available for employees to play all kinds of game.

Cons

- Depending on the team, account management team could be located in different city which sometimes causes hard time communicating.

3. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Urban Science full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible working environment and schedule. My managers and overall team are extremely understanding when I need to work from home or need to step away from the office to take care of an errand.
    - Interesting and technical work. I actually use math and statistics to solve real-world issues for clients.
    - I work in the Detroit office, and it is very nice and modern. Depending on your team, you can have have a very casual work attire. I normally wear jeans in to work.
    - A lot of company and team social activities throughout the year that are very enjoyable.
    - Coworkers are extremely easy to talk to and collaborate with. Every interaction I've had, whether they've been on my team or not, have been positive.
    - This seems to be an issue in other offices and divisions, but the upper level management (people at the Account Executive and Managing Director level) in my office are very engaging and very receptive to feedback.

Cons

- There doesnt seem to be 1 prevailing "culture" with the company and it seems that your experience depends on what team you're placed into. I dont know if I got lucky with my team or not. Overall, my experience has been extremely positive.

4. "Internship"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Urban Science full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the work they were doing
    Pretty easy going culture

Cons

The clients are sometimes frustrating

"No career growth"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Urban Science full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Downtown location
    - Free Parking
    - The people working there

Cons

- No career potential
    - It's all about the clicks
    - You work hard, you don't get anything back
    - No valuation of hard-working employees who give out their best
    - Bonus is laughable when compared to competitors

Advice to Management

Quit your games and fake promises of huge bonuses; be honest with your employees.

6. "Good place to start a career"

I have been working at Urban Science full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for Urban Science for over 10 years, and I have found the experience to be engaging and rewarding. I'm surrounded by smart people who, for the most part, are passionate about their work. I've found that the company is very open to new ideas and rewards people who bring good thinking and demonstrate a commitment to the organization's success.

You also have the opportunity to work with colleagues from around the globe which brings unique points of view.

I've also found an acceptable work/life balance and appreciate the flexibility to work from home on occasion when needed.

Cons

Slow to upgrade to new technology.

Advice to Management

Management should travel more, spend time in all the offices getting to know teams and their needs.

7. "Good"

Current Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Urban Science (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of responsibilities from the tart which exposes you to new and great things. Also the 20 PTO are amazing!

Cons

Bad pay. Great place to work but they do not have a lot of energy and excitement around the office.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

8. "Very great company to work for! Current employee."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Urban Science full-time

Pros

There is a diverse work environment where there are numerous female leaders and leaders of different backgrounds and ethnicities in every department I’ve seen. The people here are intelligent, friendly, cooperative, and give positive feedback often.

We have regular meetings to talk about how to make the company culture better and how to keep employees engaged in their work. Managers meet individually with employees to go over any concerns, and to give steps on how to achieve their goals.

The company events happen about once a month and teams have lunches together and create fun events on their own as well. There is a supportive atmosphere and true interest in others that I encounter at every event.

When moving up the company there is an internal application process and upper level openings are there for the inspired employee to move up to, due to the increase in teams. Employees stay here for a long time 10+ years because of the company culture, the opportunities, and Urban Science offers great benefits.

$7,000/ year for tuition, $250/ year for a gym membership, Live Detroit Program, 18+ days of PTO up front, 12 hours if paid volunteer time, unlimited sick time, maternity and paternity leave, 1/2 of 8% 401k match, and 11 paid holidays, flex-time and work from home days vary by team. There are more great benefits than that.

There are free snacks every week, the office spaces look new and modern, theres a gaming area and employees meet up to chat, play foosball and video games to keep the hard hard play hard mentality. The dress code is very flexible and people wear jeans and business casual dress.

Overtime is not encouraged here and employees with families are met with the flexibility they need.

Cons

The cons I’ve seen is that there is a limited incentive program for employees but ideas have been brought up to and received by management to add more incentives for great employees.

The C suite disconnect does seem to be prevalent and this has been brought up in all people meetings.

No Keurig on every floor.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and improving! There are great employees in this company and they see the benefits this company brings are worth staying for.

9. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Urban Science full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is only good when you want to collect cheap paycheck to survive when looking for other opportunities elsewhere. There is no pros at all actually. Avoid at all cost.

Cons

The company does not take care of employees, and there is too much politics going on. Low salary, way below market average.

Advice to Management

If this company want to survive, they need to replace leadership team and upgrade their technologies.

"Looks good on the resume, but opportunities are limited."

Former Employee - SQL Developer/Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - SQL Developer/Consultant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Urban Science full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are nice. If you come to the attention of the client as a Subject Matter Expert, you will be widely appreciated.

Cons

The technology is old. Leadership doesn't want to invest in new ideas. The work is stagnant. All you do is maintain an existing system.

Advice to Management

This company could easily be overtaken by competitors, simply because they use better technology to get the job done.