I worked at Urban Systems full-time
-flexibility to pursue interests on consulting engagements.
-limited integration between practice areas
I have been working at Urban Systems full-time (More than a year)
- Fairly flat organization so there is so much respect from senior level employees all the way to entry level employees
- There is no attitude from people who perhaps have a higher level of education or more experience
- Professional development opportunities are endless
- Employees have a say and it actually matters
- With no official job titles it can be hard to know who to report to sometimes
- The small office mentality can be a struggle since this company does have close to 400 employees
I worked at Urban Systems full-time (More than a year)
Nice staff, friendly and helpful.
Decent work / life balance.
No chance for promotion.
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Review
The apparent lack of a hierarchical management system and the open office concept can lead to good collaborations and teamwork on projects.
Support staff often have heavy, competing workloads, are often stressed, and have to be willing to stay late whenever a Project Manager is in a rush or has an urgent proposal for which they have not sufficiently planned in advance.
There is indeed the standard hierarchical system, it is just disguised to seem more democratic; however, one has to understand the nuances of it to succeed, and this can be tricky.
Advice to Management
Be clear about roles, duties and responsibilities.
Provide helpful feedback.
There is lots of freedom to find whatever kind of work you would like if it's available
You have to look for the work if you want to be able to keep busy
- a lot of freedom and possibility esp for younger employees
- a lot of collaboration and support
- very much a values-based company, geared toward a higher purpose
- difficult to navigate if you are used to a managerial, top down org structure
- expectations not always made clear- often the expectations are your own
- trust has to be earned and it isn't earned quickly
Advice to Management
- trumpet more the good work we are doing, so that more people know and more people can participate; sometimes we can be too humble
- help us learn more about what it takes to be successful in a network, as that is the predominant leadership style
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?