UrsaNav Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Good company"

Former Contractor - Computer Systems Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Former Contractor - Computer Systems Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at UrsaNav as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fair pay, friendly personnel

Cons

I have no cons to speak of

2. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at UrsaNav (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good parties. The worker bees are great.

Cons

The Owner is a narcissist. Let go best BD person they had and now cannot get IT work outside of HP Trim. No raises for the people, but owners ensure they get their money.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. You have good workers that are being stifled by the management.

"Slowly Sinking Ship?"

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at UrsaNav full-time

Pros

-Friendly people
    -Great benefits including 401(k), insurance paid for the employee, and lots of days off
    -You're given lots of freedom

Cons

-Company is hurting from a lack of new business
    -Both our only HR person and only IT person left the company and they had to layoff the receptionist too
    -No bonuses or raises for the last two years. Last year we were at least told. This year, I guess we were just supposed to assume.
    -They didn't even bother to do employee reviews this year.
    -There is less communication than ever. We hear from the president and vice president about once a year.
    -Employee turnover is increasing. Seems like a lot of people are finding better opportunities

Advice to Management

Tough times are when you should be comforting your employees instead of leaving them guessing and forcing them to find more security. This company used to show a lot of pride on it's fast growth and employee retention rate. Now people leave and in some cases their work is handed off to other people as a way to avoid hiring a replacement. Addressing your employees about the situation is better management than simply pretending nothing is wrong.

"Seems to be on the decline lately"

Current Employee - On-Site Employee
    Current Employee - On-Site Employee

Pros

Great benefits package including 401(K) and both medical and dental insurance paid for the employee. They have a great paid time off system. Government work means lots of holidays off. The ability to sell back unused vacation days. The company constantly evaluates itself and tries to adapt. Working for the government is nowhere near as demanding as working in the private sector. There's very little stress, no overtime, and not all that much to do really. Working on site with a client, the company supports you going home early if the client does (just don't tell them). Clients usually only care if you work 8 hour days so you can usually make your own schedule. Company doesn't really care what you do as long as you just keep the client happy. The company
    doesn't micromanage and they pretty much just leave you alone to work with the client.

Cons

Company seems to have hit a wall recently in regards to growth and obtaining new business. There has been a salary freeze and no bonuses in the last year. Some customers are more strict than others. You may have to work 8 hours while another UrsaNav employee in the same building can come and go as they please. Difficult to increase your salary. Not much room for promotion when you work on site with a client. Workload can vary location to location and contract to contract. But from my own experience and what I've observed, there isn't a lot to be done on a daily basis. You can get bored very easily. Chance to lose your job every year if your contract is up and they don't have somewhere else to put you. People leave the company and no one is ever told. Most companies send out internal memos or post announcements. A Vice President, Director, and Finance Manager all left within the span of three months and no one said anything. You have to periodically look at the employee contact list to see who's still around! Working on site you're sometimes forced to work with older technologies and methods. With little new work to be done, it can sometimes feel like your skills are stagnating.

Advice to Management

Let people know what's going on with our contracts and personnel leaving. Even if it's negative news it's better than keeping us in the dark. Most employees don't have a clue about what kind of shape the company is in and are shocked to find out that other employees are mysteriously gone. Scale down events like the holiday party. If you can't afford to pay bonuses or give raises, there's no need for an expensive party at a hotel. Keep it simple and pass the savings to us even if it's just a small bonus. The yearly survey is nice but what does it do? After the results are in we get an email from Chuck explaining the results and what needs to be addressed but very little action is actually taken.