User Friendly Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Bruce Howard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"sales recruiters"

I have been working at User Friendly Media full-time

Pros

Vacation is good if you can use it when you want. Better be in the middle of the month though

Cons

the CEO runs the company like his own kingdom

Advice to Management

Grow a backbone tell Bruce no You are a human and will not be demeaned

"Account manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Owensboro, KY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Owensboro, KY

I worked at User Friendly Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

co=workers, health benefits, client relationships,

Cons

old school style management, threats of taking accounts, deception and lies, low salary doesn't even begin to cover expenses, no investment in promotion of products, poor delivery of print which effects sales and results for customer, cuts in delivery of print which effects success of book, management cant be trusted, sub par digital that doesn't work a lot of the times causing cancelations of clients and their trust in company, print is dying and no support to stop the bleeding.

Advice to Management

Pay gas allowance, phone allowance, stop threatening employees by taking revenue accounts away from them that they need to make a living, stop lying about delivery cuts skipping whole city areas and whole cities that hurt performance of book for clients, invest in infrastructure for new digital products and invest in constant outside media promotion, Stop relying on sales staff alone to promote products to customers. Most customers have never heard of your digital products, practice what you preach, stop doing everything on a shoestring and give salespeople the proper tools to do the job. Create a positive work environment instead of a 70's style boiler room that causes constant turnover. start managing people not just numbers. Get a true grip on what is happening in markets and not just by the numbers. Clients like to see the same salesperson and build trust especially in this extremely competitive media environment, you get rid of people that the clients trust and build relationships.

"Don't. Just Don't."

I worked at User Friendly Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got to be great friends with my clients and most of the fellow sales people that were there before me and those that left, and we have still remained friends.

Cons

Management is horrible. They have been in this industry for WAY too long and need to come to terms with the idea that the Phone Book is useless. Older people still use it, but as they fade away, so will the books. Managers don't even know how to use or sell the digital products. When a sales rep is more knowledgable than they are, the sales rep gets insulted. Which brings me to that... Sales people are constantly belittled, made fun of, and even yelled at in front of everyone. It's embarassing to sit there in front of your peers being yelled at and compared to. It's also embarassing to sit there while another good sales rep is being made fun of (even to the point of crying) in front of you. Monday morning meetings always made me ill. Sunday nights I could never sleep and knowing I had to be in that meeting on Monday mornings made me litterally throw up. The PAY is not worth being treated this way. The JOB is not worth being treated this way. The number one reason in the world that good employess leave a business is because of bad managers. They will follow you around all day and spy on you. They will call clients just to make sure you went there. This is a low paying job to begin with. If a rep wants to sit home all day they will starve. So managers need to trust employess and put more time and effort into being GOOD managers instead of harrassing and bullying sales reps. Managers take all of the good accounts and hand out small accounts that they know are in collections or are out of buisness and hand those to reps to handle. I could go on and on and on about why this is not a good atmosphere to work in. In fact, it's the worst job experience I've ever had and leaving that place was like ending an abusive marriage.
    Reasons I left:
    Bad... HORRIBLE managers
    Small accounts and accounts taken away from reps with each book and assigned to new reps
    The Phone book is dying.
    I can't even give this a one star rating. It doesn't deserve that.

Advice to Management

Retire. If you can't change how you behave and treat people then just retire. Have you wondered why there is such a huge turnover? Well... it's because of you.

"Sales"

I worked at User Friendly Media full-time

Pros

The pros are minimal. However, it was nice to be away from a very hostile office environment 4 out of 5 days.

Cons

VERY high turnover rate...for a reason. You are pushing dead media-- phone book ads. They do not utilize technology in any way, everything is old school. Just all around inefficient and unorganized. The products are all lacking, in comparison to competitors. I cannot stress enough how poor the management was in the office I worked in. Very unprofessional. If you enjoy passive aggressive comments, lying, and daily interrogations, this is the place for you. It seems they were completely money motivated and did not care about the true success of the reps. Also, very poor training was provided. Pay was low, no compensation for the many miles put on your vehicle, no extra payment for using your own cellular phone. I would not recommend this job.

Advice to Management

Retire. This company would have been a positively different experience had someone been in charge with REAL knowledge and understanding of how managers should behave. Learn how to treat employees and realize that if you treat your sales reps well, they will perform well. If you maintain your current negative work environment, you will continue to have a high turnover rate. No one wants to spend a period of their lifetime being mistreated.

5. "Phone Book Company"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at User Friendly Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They do provide benefits, 401K health insurance

Cons

No career advancement, they don't promote within the company

Advice to Management

Be more organized, recognize the work that the employees do and promote accordingly

6. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Tulsa, OK

I worked at User Friendly Media (More than a year)

Pros

Staff, product and benefits and good and commission

Cons

better training on new products and sales tools

"hard sale, a lot of calls"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Wichita, KS

I worked at User Friendly Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay, okay insurance, usually just Monday to Friday
    mileage reimbursement while out of market
    local manager cares about staff

Cons

no mileage reimbursement in market
    allot of wear on personal vehicle
    call Mondays and schedule that is pulled through by multiple layers on management
    procedure takes a preference over sales
    management will find a way to remove reviews on glass door that is negative

Advice to Management

treat employees better
    mileage and expenses in market would help
    do not go after those who post here in glass door

"Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Independence, OH

I worked at User Friendly Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management team. They have a difficult job. Office time is fun. Support staff is good. Not a long hiring process.

Cons

Yellowpages is a dying breed. Too many other options for small businesses to advertise in. Moving small businesses to internet ads is a hard sell.

9. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Shreveport, LA

I worked at User Friendly Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay with depending on account package & canvassing location.

Cons

Educate customers on your digital products,

10. "ouitgside sales rep"

Pros

Good company to work for. Lots of opportunity for advancement

Cons

Very young supervisors, no experience in management.