Utah Department of Technology Services Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Great Benefits"

Current Employee - IT Analyst III in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Analyst III in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The benefits are great. I have a lot of flexibility as well. Lots of opportunity for promotion for those who want it.

Cons

There are not enough employees to be able to accomplish what needs to be done. Lower wages

Advice to Management

I'm not sure much can be done because it all depends on the legislature. Somehow more talent needs to be brought in.

2. "Mediocre"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working 4 x 10 was awesome. The office was quiet, great view of the capitol, work was decently interesting. Benefits were acceptable. Some of the people were nice.

Cons

The sheer amount of waste that occurs here is nauseating. The first form of waste is in the form of talent. There are enormously talented folks working here who have been lulled into a false sense of security. There was one guy in particular who I asked, "Why do you stay here when you could get paid near triple in the private sector?" His response was that during the recession, no one in the office lost their jobs, so he's willing to accept the loss in pay in exchange for security.

An extension of that waste is in keeping people around who are astoundingly terrible, both as employees and people. I had a supervisor who would assign projects, then entirely redo the projects when we submitted them. I was consistently told the work I did was acceptable, only to find my supervisor had gone through and overhauled the entire project independent of anyone else. That's an enormous waste of resources and brings into question why they hired me to begin with if she was competent enough to do the work herself. She was a severely passive aggressive communicator, someone who had been in the same piddly role for several years with no intention of leaving; she was resting on her laurels. When I asked questions about assignments, I was told, "Figure it out." You don't want to work around those types. This type of energy drain is bad for an office, but the state wont reconcile that.

The other problem was the actual director of this 15-person shop never being around. Constantly in meetings, traveling, etc. So I had no one to really mentor me as an entry-level employee. I was never offered any performance feedback.

In the end, it never felt like there was any direction for this office. There was no vision. The people working there had no ambition, no goals. The department itself has no ambition, no goals. It was refreshing to move to a private organization that not only paid more, but had energy, vision, aspirations, and invested in its employees.

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They let their employees work 4 days a week for 10 hours each day. I really liked having that flexibility, and longer weekends. Benefits were really good. One of the few that still offer a pension (though it has been reduced fairly consistently over the last few years for new employees).

Cons

Management was mediocre. Would often assign projects that never got reviewed and gave the impression that no work was important. Change is almost impossible because no one is ever willing to admit that they may have been wrong or that there could be improvements to existing systems. A lot of the emplolyees are Schedule B making it more difficult to fire employees which caused lower performance. No one felt any need to do their job well because they knew they wouldn't get fired for doing poorly.

Advice to Management

Meet with each employee individually weekly for project updates. Give CONSISTENT feedback (both in frequency and in underlying message). Assign work that matters, and not work that doesn't (my first 3 months were spent going through old files and compiling them into a spreadsheet that no one reviewed - WHY?!).

"Aspire to be outdated"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pension (after 25 years of soul crushing drama). It's a perfect gig for anyone who doesn't like to deal with those pesky updates to technology more than once every 10 years. It's also great for those with little discernible talent, vision, or unique experience which might otherwise get in the way of doing whatever they are told to do by those with distinctively less ability but considerably more ambition.

A prospective employee can expect to:
    * Engage in high school level gossip
    * Realize that they never have to try again
    * Search for their own clique with whom they will spend 8 hours a day gossiping about the clique four cubicles away
    * Realize they had never truly understood the word "bureaucracy" before
    * Complain about and demean their boss when said boss is in a meeting
    * Praise their boss when said boss is speaking to them directly
    * Imagine what it would have been like to travel the world instead of settling for a state job
    * Engage in endless, lively meetings about minutiae
    * Gloss over many important aspects of a project in meetings
    * Eat pale hotdogs at every office potluck
    * Code sometimes
    * Look over their shoulder to make sure no one sees what they are really doing on the internet
    * Blame someone else for their own incompetence
    * Fret over the poor restroom ventilation
    * Learn to sleep upright
    * Engage in what can only be called technological archaeology
    * And so much more

Cons

* Occasionally one is expected to meet a deadline
    * The outside world changes so fast
    * Bedsores from office chairs
    * Having to keep up with the latest pseudo-philosophical pseudo-management techniques

Advice to Management

Change nothing.
    All the time you spend reading books and developing your character has paid off.

"Disorganized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Utah Department of Technology Services (More than a year)

Pros

The State office building, where this department resides on the 6th floor, is located right behind the State Capitol and so the general area is very lush and scenic.

I had a lot of work independence

Cons

My supervisor received another position shortly after I was hired. I had agreed to take the job with the understanding I would receive the same training that my peers had just recently received and it was never provided.

There is a general disorder to the structure and interactions in my group. Silos existed within the same office space--the development group had unnecessary friction with the PMO (the Director or each group would undercut the other). An org chart does not exist for this department. The direction of their IT plan is too splintered.

Advice to Management

Maybe consider losing a title or two and focusing on one job. Job distinction confusion makes forward progress on work excessively hindered by correspondence with people who are unavailable.

"IT Manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IT hosting, networking, software engineering, system administration and desktop support for all departments in State of Utah government provides a variety of opportunity.

Cons

Pay is 10%-20% below market.

Advice to Management

Apply the principles of good management rather than assuming that "putting the hammer down" is a management principle.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Data Center Tech in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Center Tech in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good management, health and other benefits are fantastic. Co-workers are, for the most part, very easy to work with. Stable environment. You can count on the way things work there.

Cons

Low pay. Can be stressful at times, especially when upper management demands change. Sometimes shift work is required, but for the most part things are stable.

"Working for the state of utah"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Benefits, job stability, time off.

Cons

Pay, not flexible, no way to advance DTS charges outrages rates to other state entity's then pays there employees 1/3 of what they charge.

"Cold lifeless organization that has no vision and doesn't care about the employees"

Current Employee - LAN Administrative II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - LAN Administrative II in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

It is a stable job that has good health benefits. You never have to worry about whether or not you are getting your paycheck.

Cons

The department really doesn't care about you at all. Management has supervisor mentality instead of any shred of leadership. It is a really disconnected department that is distant from anything that concerns the employees.

Advice to Management

Get a vision and empower the employees to be part of it.

"Working here is like taking a time machine back 150 years with regard to HR practices."

I worked at Utah Department of Technology Services full-time

Pros

Fairly good benefits...that is all.

Cons

Managers are dictators, power-hungry, control freaks. there are 7-8 layers of management. Employee salaries are very broad, even if they do the exact same thing day-by-day. Long-time employees have worked themselves into a niche where they do little. Newer employees who receive pittance do all the work and get all the blame for problems. No training. Expected to be up to speed on day 1. Management has said that things won't change and if you don't like it, leave.

Office is exactly the same since building was built 27 years ago. Carpet, furniture etc. Chairs are extremely uncomfortable for 10-hour day.

Zero trust. Professionals treated like teenagers.

Advice to Management

Wake up!