VA Health Reviews | Glassdoor

VA Health Reviews

Updated April 4, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Obviously a big pro is the pay and benefits but also for me- the job security, training and promotion opportunities, and the culture here are unmatched (in 8 reviews)

• Job Security , comfortable atmosphere, no pressure, many many opportunities to advance your career goals (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's hard to cut through the red tape with the bureaucracy involved (in 12 reviews)

• Upper Management isn't held responsible or accountable (in 5 reviews)

1. "General Contracting Clerk"

Former Employee - General Contracting Clerk in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - General Contracting Clerk in Washington, DC

I worked at VA Health (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours and days worked were very flexible and I was able to work independently without being watched closely.

Cons

The job could sometime be very stressful and additional staff was needed to carry the heavy load.

Advice to Management

I feel that there should be exceptions to the rule of hiring when you find a contractor [temp] who has outstanding work ethic. Most of these people are let go with very little warning, at-will. There should a place for these exceptional employees to go so that they're not out of work. Keep the good ones and get rid of the bad ones.

2. "Typical Government Culture"

Former Employee - Employee Relations Manager in Muskego, WI
    Former Employee - Employee Relations Manager in Muskego, WI

I worked at VA Health (Less than a year)

Pros

salary and time off accrual

Cons

Managements inability to hold employees accountable. Lost of employees that are extremely complacent.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable for their performance. Don't allow complacency to set in.

"same cycle - Monitoring and admin"

Current Employee - Statistician in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Statistician in New Haven, CT

I have been working at VA Health full-time

Pros

-There is a growing interest in equality and bringing VHA together in its mission.
    -Many people are project oriented and interested in their fields
    -great opportunities for research and publishing.

Cons

-Many individuals maintain multiple roles and competing priorities for their time.
    -Although there is a desire to right wrongs, there isn't a lot of root-cause analysis and I can see the same emphasis for quality driving us into the cycle that got us in trouble before.
    -Which ties into the emergency people hear from Central Office and desire to do their bidding.
    -very antiquated and slowly fighting against moving forward

Advice to Management

-Become more involved in your role in the business
    -Look for more incidental metrics or look at the whole system, rather than a few key figures which can be forced or leveraged.
    -Develop communication horizontally and vertically as there is a lot of us/them aspects to the roles and teams within

"So unpleasant worked less than a year horrified at things I saw."

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Marion, IL
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Marion, IL

I worked at VA Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The vets that you meet and care for are wonderful individuals. I looked forward to talking with them and doung what I could for them. It breaks my heart to see the way that some of them get treated and the lack of care and the run around they are given. I come from a large military family and had high expectations with this job. I have been in other VAs that were fantastic.

Cons

There is a lot of nepotism at Marion VA and a lot of people who are there for a paycheck. Staff is hateful to each other and cut throat. Laziness is rampant and when things are messed up the common saying is " thats the VA way" some people seem to forget they are there for the vets and are inadequately trained when dealing with those suffering from ptsd or addiction it is as if they aggitate them on purpose. Pay is low, shifts are scheduled strange if you work nights you do not have an actual 24 hours off, the horror stories you have heard are not exaggetated. Our vets deserve better. I would not recommend anyone work at this Va.

Advice to Management

Staff should be hired based on qualifications not by who they know. Sceduling should be revamped. Behaivorsl med, rehab, and nursing home (also known as viper pit) needs attitude adjustments

6. "A hateful culture"

Current Employee - Administrative in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Administrative in Louisville, KY

I have been working at VA Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leave is immediately available, after probationary period it is almost impossible to get fired

Cons

Backward culture and technology which is at the mercy of people who lack basic programming and utilization skills

Advice to Management

Do your job, stop wringing your hands helplessly claiming that you are powerless

7. "Atlanta VA"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at VA Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security. Free Parking. Serving veterans.

Cons

Cronyism, tenured non-productive staff, limited upward mobility, poor senior leadership.

8. "I am here, but looking elsewhere"

Current Employee - LVN in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - LVN in Dallas, TX

I have been working at VA Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the Vets and team members

Cons

Can be a bit political as far as scheduling and raises. Pay is not that good.

9. "As cardiac fellow"

Former Employee - Physician in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Physician in Norwood, MA

Pros

Cons

Heavy call scheduled Great work place, good administration, great nurses, learned a lot of procedures pacemaker cardiac cath echo of the heart plenty of parking,A lot to learn from everybody

10. "health technician"

Current Employee - Health Technician in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Health Technician in Portland, OR

I have been working at VA Health full-time

Pros

they all have a mission for patient

Cons

very busy place lots of diversity

"You must be an idiot to work here"

Current Employee - Staff Physician in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Physician in Augusta, GA

I have been working at VA Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outcomes more important than billable RVUs

Cons

Political nonsense, labor laws, EEO complaints, hiring policies are more important than patient/veteran care

Advice to Management

Tell Congress to unshackle the VA from the laws that prevent it from running well. Like laws that allow the former Phoenix director WHO IS A FELON for having taken bribes, to sue for her old job back and the US ATTORNEY GENERAL says the law is on her side. When your boss is Congress, you will get nothing done. As for any physician thinking about working there because of controlled hours: THINK AGAIN. There is a US Code called 38 with 7422 subjection that says that if the facility director says you need to work nights and weekends "for the benefit of patient care", you can be doing 70 hours per week. The job advertisements for limited hours is an outright lie. Forget about giving good care . . . since you'll be forced to hire incompetent veterans over skilled nurses/docs/assistants, you'll be lucky not to kill anyone.