VARtek Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
VARtek CEO Michael E Hosford
Michael E Hosford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 2,000 professional development offering (company pays 100%) (in 11 reviews)

• It provides excellent services to K-12 schools (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Either unqualified people are let go when things go south or qualified people move on because they know better (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management lies to and pits directors/managers/employees against each other, that is the way they handle "conflict resolution" and "promotions" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Dayton, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

VARtek offers some unique benefits! For their full-time employees, they offer some amazing annual reimbursements: $500 reimbursement for technology purchase (50% of purchase price), a $500 reimbursement for wellness purchases (50% of purchase price), and a $2,000 professional development offering (company pays 100%). It is great that they promote keeping up with the newest technology trends, maintaining your body and mind, and developing yourself professionally.

Cons

Like most companies, health insurance is a high deductible plan, but is expensive. VARtek does pay for 50% of the premium. VARtek also contributes to HSA plans quarterly for employees in the plan.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote these and similar initiatives because we as employees appreciate them!

2. "Good company. Easy to work with. Good hours."

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Dayton, OH

I worked at VARtek (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Management willing to work with you.

Cons

Personally a far drive for me.

3. "Great company!"

I worked at VARtek full-time

Pros

Working at VARtek I gained valuable real world experience. I felt very appreciated while I was with VARtek.

Cons

None, I had a positive experience all around!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"A good place to be!"

Current Employee - Desktop Technician in Ben Hill, GA
    Current Employee - Desktop Technician in Ben Hill, GA

I have been working at VARtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here for a couple months now, and I enjoy it! Working with experienced people has helped me to gain confidence and experience myself in the field. Good benifits are a major plus, and the potential for advancement is high as well.

Cons

I don't have any cons, but if you don't like being around kids it may not be a good place for you to be.

Oct 3, 2017 – President

Thank you for your input and comments. VARtek is fortunate to have energetic talented individuals on our team to support our students, staff, and teachers!

"They are silly"

Former Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Flint, MI

I worked at VARtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There isn't much. Maybe it looks good on a resume

Cons

Pay was crap work was crap management was crap

Advice to Management

Probably look to hire better management that doesn't try to get their employees to go swimming with them. Also, probably pay better so you can maintain your employees and lower your turnover rate. Because trying to say you have such a great benefits package is just malarkey.

Oct 23, 2017 – President

We wish you the best in your future endeavors. After you have had time to reflect on what is important to you, we hope that you find a working environment where you will be successful.

"Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Dayton, OH

I worked at VARtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The district you work for you will enjoy and the people there.

Cons

Its hard to choose where to start. The team I worked with started off with good management but a constant turnover staff. The company had a hard time keeping anyone on board. After several years working there I would poke and prod at moving up in the company. The little advancements were just enough to make you feel important but never significant. The overwhelming expectation will collapse down on you. Just when you think you are at a good position too you will realize how much the company just truly doesn't care about you. Combine your overwhelming expectations with being underpaid and throw that together with management who treats each employee with zero respect, you have this company.

Advice to Management

Sell the business

Sep 18, 2017 – President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is unclear whether you worked at VARtek full-time for less than a year or over several years as later written in the the cons. Ultimately, your... More

"Striving to recruit top talent and extend reach to districts across the US"

Current Employee - Classroom Technology Coach
    Current Employee - Classroom Technology Coach

I have been working at VARtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for VARtek for a few months now and I couldn't be happier with my role within the company. As a CTC, I'm able to use my previous experience as an educator teaching secondary MS and HS students in the classroom to now educating teachers how to optimize tech within their own classrooms. VARtek recognizes the need for roles such as mine and strives to provide schools with knowledgeable individuals that have tangible experience to help further the vision of each district. I feel comfortable suggesting new ideas without having to worry about immediate dismissal from management. Technology is supposed to supplement the learning process, not replace it, and there is little doubt about the efficacy of a company whose methodologies align with modern policies and practices emerging in a 21st century classroom.

Cons

Communication can be derailed with a company that services districts among multiple states around the US. I've had little trouble contacting and receiving a response from individuals in headquarters but there have been a few isolated cases of getting a hold of colleagues located in other districts.

Advice to Management

Continue to vet candidates through the application process that is currently in place. It may seem daunting initially but my experience was pretty seamless and I'd rather work for a company that takes time to get to know candidates and their previous work experience than one that desperately hires an applicant and realizes he/she doesn't fit well after a few months on the job.

Sep 20, 2017 – President

Thank you for your thoughtful review outlining both pros and opportunities. Your input is invaluable to our continued development of our systems! In particular, your advice regarding our hiring... More

"Awfule"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician in Dayton, OH

I worked at VARtek (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning there was nothing more than that

Cons

To many to count, you will hate this job after 10 mins of being there

Sep 18, 2017 – President

Thank you for your response. We are unsure if this is a valid review due to the misspellings and the fact that we have not had a Helpdesk Technician in Dayton, OH for a number of years. The one... More

"Nothing but smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at VARtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at the district level were great. My co-workers were great! VARtek is a great concept, but it will never be successful if they can't be respectful and honest to their employees and contract holders.

Cons

Terrible benefits, salary, and no HR department, any concerns brought to management are thrown aside with no care. The company looks to fill positions with warm bodies, qualified or not, just to fill a contract and collect a payday. This combined with the way you are treated as a VARtek employee creates a continuous revolving door and hostile work environment.

Either unqualified people are let go when things go south or qualified people move on because they know better. Upper management lies to and pits directors/managers/employees against each other, that is the way they handle "conflict resolution" and "promotions". They also put their employees in a terrible political position with the districts and their team due to unrealistic expectations and lies about how things will "improve". Managers/directors are micromanaged to the point they are unable to manage their own team. Uppermangement goes around them and directs their employees behind their back.

When they are in fear of losing a qualified person they will try to make them feel like they are important and have a ladder to move up, but it's been proven time and time again that will never happen and if it does, the expectations will be so overwhelming and be so demanding that you will not want to stay. So many good people have left and continue to leave on a daily basis because of this. Management will then try to find someone to blame for those qualified people leaving. They don't realize it's their selfish decisions, unrealistic expectations and lack of communication that people are constantly leaving. An employee won't stay if they don't feel respected, appreciated or even acknowledged. Everyone who has left have all said the same, they were happy to leave VARtek but sad to leave their district. VARtek never asks people WHY they are leaving, so they just look to point the finger. From the inside, it feels that the company is crumbling because there is zero communication when org changes happen due to people leaving. There is zero communication from VARtek to the district level employees on how the company is doing in general. Managers leave and people find out the day of because upper management wants everything to be a secret. Everyone is micromanaged and stressed out beyond a reasonable limit.

You can't put your district needs first, you must put the company's profit first which makes it very hard to do your job with a clear conscious most of the time. You have to sacrifice integrity working here and not communicate with the people you support every day in the field. Maybe that's "just how it is" when you are outsourced, but it's not how it should be. VARtek doesn't listen to any concerns that are expressed, either personnel wise or technology wise because they don't want to spend any additional money on anything. They have zero consideration for their employees family or home life, unless you are sitting at the top of the empire. Unfortunately, while a nice guy, I can't give the owner a "thumbs up" because he seems to be completely oblivious that his company is sadly being run into the ground.

Advice to Management

Spend the money to hire QUALITY employees, then listen to them, treat them with respect, professionalism and value them. Realistic expectations, open communication, honesty, and transparency are important.

Sep 18, 2017 – President

Dear Former Employee: Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts and feelings into this review. We do work hard to create a culture where each team member feels and knows that they are... More

"Welcoming group"

Current Employee - Desktop Technician in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Desktop Technician in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I have met here at Vartek actually seems to want to be here!
    So far work stays where it should be (during business hours) and everyone is positive and hard-working.

Cons

None, but I can see some disconnect potentially from fellow colleagues due to distance constraints working in different locations.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and grow at your own pace!

Aug 8, 2017 – President

Thank you for your input. We welcome more ideas on ways to connect employees who serve clients in various districts. Our tech directors and engineers benefit from weekly calls with one another... More