VARtek Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
VARtek CEO Michael E Hosford
Michael E Hosford

Pros
  • We already had a great Professional Development program where we gave employees (in 9 reviews)

• I have been an Accounting Intern for VARtek for almost 6 months now and have truly enjoyed my time here (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a computer science major and had joined the team under temporary full time employment over the Summer (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great PTO and work environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kettering, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kettering, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

VARtek hears the feedback from employees and has responded positively! Effective 2017, VARtek has combined vacation hours and sick hours to become PTO hours! This, along with other benefits, rewards those employees who are healthy and take care of themselves. It is never fun to let sick days expire and now VARtek employees don't have to worry about that. Even if I save a few days and I end up not being sick, I will have the opportunity to cash out 24 hours of unused PTO at the end of the year! I am proud to work for a company that listens to the desires of employees. I am also very excited to have my anniversary day off of work (in addition to my birthday). VARtek's PTO and holiday schedule are very competitive.

Cons

In a small company, everyone needs to wear a lot of hats. This becomes a challenge when there are vacations or turnover since there are a small number of people in the organization's resource center to absorb the work.

Advice to Management

I enjoy working for this company! Continue to grow and evolve!

Jan 8, 2017 – President

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the new PTO policy. We believe this benefit will be appreciated by VARtek team members, and we're pleased to offer one's anniversary day off as ... More

"Assessment"

Current Employee - Director, Technology Management in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Director, Technology Management in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

I have been with VARtek for almost two years. My entire adult life I have worked for corporations, never having experienced life with a small company. It is the best thing that has ever happened to me professionally. I do not feel that I am a slave to the daily grind of the corporate machine. I am given the freedom to do my job. I have never been denied a day off request. I have never been called in on my off day to cover someone else's shift because they stayed home to nurse their sick pet.

Of course, we have requirements and goals we have to meet like any other company, the difference is that VARtek makes you feel as if there is more to your existence than "hitting the numbers". People who actually care about your career, and invest their time and money into you bettering yourself.

Cons

I can say, honestly, there is nothing about my job that I do not like. I work regular hours, know what is expected of me, and get out of my work what I put into my work. I am rewarded both through pats on the back and financially.

If you put my feet to the fire and made me talk about something I would say I could live with less meetings and reports to fill out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Before I came to work here I looked at this website and looked at employee reviews. I noticed somewhere about three to four years ago that the reviews shifted from mostly negative to mostly positive. Since coming on board I have learned some of the reasons why. Many of those reasons I spoke about above.

Sep 26, 2016 – President

Thank you so much for your insightful comments. We appreciate very much that you have a passion for performance and for the culture that VARtek strives to develop for our team members.

3. "Vibrant Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upstart, vibrant company doing IT as a new model for schools. Perks for employees, good working environment. Strong and understanding management team.

Cons

Customers spread out across eastern part of the states, particularly around Cincinnati/Dayton/Columbus areas, so don't be surprised if some long distance commute is called upon.

Sep 26, 2016 – President

Thank you for this honest and thoughtful review. Also, thank you for pointing out the possibility of regional travel. We outline the travel requirements by position in our job descriptions. It is ... More

5. "My VARtek Transistion"

Current Employee - Technology Coordinator in El Dorado, AR
    Current Employee - Technology Coordinator in El Dorado, AR

I have been working at VARtek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been a VARtek employee since September of 2012. I worked for the El Dorado School District for 7 years prior to the switch. Transitioning from the district to a VARtek employee was a stressful time for me at first. So much was unknown. Will my job duties change much? Will my new boss understand my current role and value me? Will I be in an environment conducive for growth? These questions, and a million others, were flying around inside my head. During the transition my fears were soon diminished as I learned more about everything VARtek has to offer. Offering money for professional development each year, the Technology Offering to help keep me up to date with the latest devices, the referral money offered for new employees, and the excellent training offered in Dayton Ohio and remotely. These support tools are unheard of in our industry! As I began to take advantage of them something occurred to me. VARtek was showing me they supported and valued me, not just saying it. This was a new experience for me. My other employers in my I.T. career have been great, but no one has doubled down and invested in me the way VARtek has. The District Resource Center staff has always been so helpful with any questions or problem I was having, easing my transition period. The culture of VARtek is one of professionalism and support. It gives me pride to put on that shirt everyday and be a leader in technology for the district. VARtek also is a great place for career advancement. If you work hard and take advantage of their professional development offering you can quickly advance your career with us!

Cons

Sometimes meeting schedules get a bit hectic.

Feb 4, 2016 – President

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as an individual who formerly worked for a school district before transitioning to VARtek.One of the key benefits to a school who outsources ... More

6. "I feel like I make a difference every day"

Current Employee - Senior Director - Operations in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Director - Operations in Dayton, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before coming to VARtek, I spent my career working for private businesses. While I felt satisfied with my performance, I really never felt like what I was doing gave back in the way I wanted my career to. Joining VARtek was the best decision for me because I know every day that the work we do impacts students. We aren't just providing one dimensional support to our schools. We are able to provide strategic planning, project management, engineering, technical support, strategic communications, and technology integration. These are the types of things that many school districts don't have the luxury of providing because they simply can't afford to hire the multitude of people required to effectively accomplish all of these tasks. Over the past few years I have had the privilege of visiting many school districts and seeing how much everyone cares about the success of their students. Many of these districts don't know what direction to take when it comes to technology and we get to use our expertise to help guide them and find ways to ensure technology assists their vision as opposed to controlling it.

When I started with VARtek I was part of an initiative to move from an Entrepreneurship to a professionally managed organization prepared for sustainable growth and I have seen an enormous amount of change as would be expected. We focused on adding Project Management as a daily function to what we are doing with tremendous success, we implemented classroom success stories and better deliverable tracking. We already had a great Professional Development program where we gave employees $2,000 every year to be invested in their professional development but we also implemented internal training programs. We provide training programs for new hire orientation, a minimum of 2 on-site training visits per year per area of subject matter, and we implemented an Emerging Leaders Development Program. I have been with several very large companies and even they didn't supply the amount of training opportunities that VARtek currently offers to their employees. As a leader I believe it is imperative to support employee development and ensure that your team can grow and this is something that VARtek has made a priority.

I have the privilege of working with employees both in the field and at the District Resource Center and I can say first hand that all of our employees are extremely passionate about ensuring the success of our partners because they understand that the success of our schools leads to success for their students. Everyone who works here joined because they want to know that what they are doing makes a difference. Employees in our company work hard and go above and beyond what is expected of them all of the time because they care about what they do. Very rarely are employees asked to work beyond their typical work day and even more rarely are they asked to work on holidays or weekends. A few positions within the company occasionally require travel to districts that would require them to be gone for one week at a time. On occasions when this travel is necessary and the employee must travel on a Sunday to ensure arriving at the school Monday morning, VARtek offers a very generous travel bonus. Due to the nature of my departments I have employees that have to make these type of trips from time to time. It is great to know that the company acknowledges the need for a work/life balance and attempts to reward employees when they must travel in this nature. I have heard firsthand from several of my employees how much they appreciate the travel bonus and how it makes them feel appreciated.

At the end of the day I get to do something I love knowing that what I do makes a difference in the lives of the students. I get to work with some really amazing, brilliant, creative, and caring people who all want the best for our students and I go home feeling like I have accomplished something every day.

Cons

In order to deliver the best service to our schools we have to continually be accountable. For new employees it can be a transition to learn how to measure and meet service level agreements and to ensure deliverables are submitted on time based on project requirements.

For employees working within the school districts, you will encounter users who are experiencing technology issues and may be extremely frustrated. Due to the nature of their roles it is important to be able to prioritize conflicting responsibilities with the immediate needs of teachers. If the technology is not working for a teacher it has an immediate impact on their ability to teach their lesson plan that day and must be treated with such priority. The ability to manage priorities and time is crucial for anyone working within this environment.

Schools experience a major increase in activity for approximately 6 weeks during school startup. On average we will see an increase of about 4 times the amount of tickets during the month of school startup. While resources are typically added or provided by the Operations Center, all members of the company take on more work during this time to ensure that each school begins their school year successfully.

Advice to Management

Management has been extremely focused on employee satisfaction and making adjustments to processes to encourage employee development. I would encourage this to be a continued process in which we listen to employees and ensure we are sharing our culture across all of our schools in order to make everyone feel part of the team regardless of their physical location.

Oct 28, 2014 – President

Thank you for your thoughtful post. If the time is taken to carefully read your comments, anyone within the company and certainly anyone interviewing for a position with VARtek can get a clear ... More

"My experience at Vartek Services, Inc. has been a very good experience, working for a company with great vision."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a smaller company that has a great product to sell and greatly impacts the community this is the place for you. Vartek Services, Inc. has an excellent strategic vision and plan that it offers to the k-12 educational community. As an employee, Vartek offers a warm team environment, company amenities, and fosters individual creativity, growth through educational opportunities and promotion. The business is driven by well thought business practices and processes which keeps activities in line with business goals and outcomes.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working at VARtek is ensuring momentum of executing project management processes in the mist of the VARtek team accomplishing client deadlines. Although visible, being a part of a smaller company, leadership is frequently out in the field making contacts and creating new relationships/partnerships to atttact business and secure contracts.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work you're doing! I see your passion and love for your jobs and the company.

Sep 15, 2014 – President

Thank you for providing this valuable input. We VALUE process-orientation, documentation, and a systems approach to delivering quality solutions to our clients. You help make that happen, and our ... More

"Effort + Achievement = Success"

I have been working at VARtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What is it that district leaders, parents, and legislators are all talking about when it comes to education? The short answer is student achievement. And how to you support student achievement? The answer is by using evidence based [best] practices; establishing a system of transparency and accountability; and using an objective progress monitoring system to evaluate ongoing performance. In other words, start with goals in mind and work backwards to design a system that will achieve said goals. In essence, this is who VARtek is -- and what they do -- with respect to education technology.

Cons

All businesses have their challenges. Some challenges are market based while others are internal. The challenges at VARtek tend to mirror industry challenges seen by many companies that do what they do -- and operate in the environment they do.

Advice to Management

Continue to make your customer/partner's needs your number one priority. Listen to what they need, develop plans to meet their needs, and execute the plan. Give your customer's your very best, and help them to be their very best, and everything else will tend to take care of itself.

Sep 15, 2014 – President

Your input is most valuable. Your insight is appreciated. You are correct that we should and will continue to adapt to the needs of the K12 industry. For over 25 years, VARtek has kept the needs ... More

"A great opportunity to really be able to make a difference in K12 technology education!"

Current Employee - National Recruiter in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - National Recruiter in Dayton, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with VARtek for a year and a half now and have really enjoyed my time here. There are many positives that help make my day to day enjoyable. The most satisfying thing about working at VARtek has been the relationships that I have developed and the vast amount of knowledge I've learned from my coworkers. I've had the opportunity to work with everyone from the Classroom Technology Coaches, Project Managers, System Administrators, IT Directors, Account Executives, Network Engineers, and many more. I've learned something from each of these people and really respect the hard work and dedication they put in daily. I've worked in education for over 13 years and knowing that I work with a company that have the same beliefs and dedications to education as I do really helps make my days go quicker!

As far as some of the other benefits I've enjoyed at VARtek, include their professional development program, which has helped me complete several recruiter certifications. VARtek also provides a great work/life balance and understands the importance of family, friends, and free time. Employee wellness is also a concern for VARtek, which has prompted a company wide "Fit Friday" awareness day. This is just a day that we are able to come together and do some fun things all while building teamwork and promoting a healthy lifestyle. Finally, there are many other perks that I enjoy such as a technology bonus, training opportunities, and much growth potential.

Cons

I'm very pleased with my day to day career with VARtek. If I had to list anything I would like another week of vacation, but when that's the only "con" you can think of with a company, I think you are doing pretty great.

Sep 9, 2014 – President

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding the company. You spoke of many of the aspects and initiatives that are important to our culture. VARtek is a company that believes in ... More

"Professional Work Environment"

I have been working at VARtek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

VARtek has a culture of accountability and support for employees. It provides excellent services to K-12 schools. The training and professional development opportunities for employees are outstanding. My introductory training was some of the best that I have received at any company.

Cons

High performance work environment can be stressful for some people. The drive to be accountable to each other and to our customers can be overwhelming at times, but I find that this is balanced with great support and tools that enable employees to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep providing support, training and professional development opportunities to employees. It is a great perk and encourages high performance. The professional work environment that has been created will continue to attract great employees.

Sep 2, 2014 – President

Thank you for your feedback regarding your introductory training. We believe that a solid orientation program to the company along with continued support for new team members are vital to their ... More

"A Career Full of Opportunities"

Current Employee - Assistant Director - Operations in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Director - Operations in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at VARtek full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started at VARtek over ten years ago as a technician. I was immediately put in a position where I could demonstrate the skills I had and where my input was valued. Within 3 months I was promoted and given additional responsibilities. I continued to work hard and my work continued to be recognized. VARtek invested thousands of dollars into my Professional Development to make sure I was ready to take the next step in my career when that opportunity arose. I am now the Assistant Director of Operations with my sights set on becoming Director someday. In my opinion all employees seek similar things.
     - A role that allows you to use the skills you have
     - A career path that is made clear to you
     - Enough recognition to know your contributions are valued
     - A chance to make a difference each day

VARtek has given me all of that and much more in my 10+ years.

Cons

When you have been around as long as I have you have the benefit of knowing how things used to be. Not everyone has that luxury so when a small firm moves to a model of professional management, the change is substantial and sometimes uncomfortable.
     What has worked for me, and the advice I would give to anyone, is to make sure you ask enough questions to understand why change is taking place. Often times people assume things as facts and make decisions without having sought the answers that are helpful.
    VARtek is really good at communicating the goals of the company as well as our mission, vision, and values.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your staff as you have with me. We have a talented blend of people and skills that can get us to the next level.

Sep 15, 2014 – President

Thank you for your valued response. The insight you provide continues to support a culture of evolution, growth, and positive change. When people and processes change, it does not mean the past ... More