VCA Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
VCA Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great employee discount, good medicine (in 20 reviews)

• Generous employee pet discount, quality medical ethics (in theory), state of the art facility, great dental insurance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to doing the same job other places (in 12 reviews)

• Upper Management is disconnected from the ground operations (in 11 reviews)

"Coworkers fine; AP Management disrespectful"

Former Employee - AP Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - AP Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment was casual and my peers were friendly.

Cons

Management (Accounts Payable Department) was completely non-supportive, to the point of discouragement. Instead of any kind of praise for goal-achievement, they focused on the mountain of work that still had to be done and how the rest of the departments had no regard for us. Employees would ask a question and get a brusque retort and an eye roll. I also was brought on (and quit a company I loved in order to relocate) with an offer of temp-to-perm, with at least a 6 month stretch. I, along with several others, was laid off within four months.

Advice to Management

If you treat your employees with disdain, they will do the bare minimum and jump ship as soon as a better, or equal, opportunity comes along.

"Horrible unqualified vindictive management"

Former Employee - Technician in Westfield, MA
    Former Employee - Technician in Westfield, MA

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Getting to know a variety of people for all the employees that come through the door to be a contestant at vca.

Cons

Backstabbing co workers, fake regional management, HR is all about the company and not the employees, pathetic pay for what is expected and .10 raises after many years of employment. People hiding behind doors and ratting on other employees. Useless health insurance

Advice to Management

Treat people like they are people
    And not robots with no life. If 14 people
    Quit since new management took over maybe look at manager not the staff.

3. "Slave to the corporate machine"

Former Employee - Technical Supervisor in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Technical Supervisor in Newark, DE

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice employee Discount
    Some great co-workers

Cons

Disorganized and suffocating. Upper Management is disconnected from the ground operations. Hospitals vary greatly depending on whose in charge. Unrealistic payroll budget. High turn-over, long-term employees are usually complacent. Poor implantation of new technology.

Advice to Management

Remember that the worker bees in your hospitals got into Veterinary Medicine for the love and passion of animals. Stop taking advantage of people and pushing for them to be corporate salesman. You can afford to pay competitively. Make sure new things work smoothly before demanding they be used. Have a payroll budget for training.

"VCA"

I worked at VCA full-time

Pros

A paltry sum of money called a "paycheck".

Cons

VCA views animal care as a business with little regard to the actual well-being of animals. As soon as VCA takes over a Vet practice, prices go up (arbitrarily) and quality of care declines. They send tenured techs packing (either by firings or by driving them insane with their calloused policies) and bring in people with minimal to no experience who they can pay less.

Advice to Management

Let go of your corporate greed. Realize that you are responsible for animals, not "assets". Give quality, experienced doctors and techs reasons to stay with your practices instead of driving them all away.

5. "Client Service Supervisor"

Former Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Westfield, MA
    Former Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Westfield, MA

I worked at VCA (More than a year)

Pros

Some amazing coworkers, working with animals

Cons

Poor pay, crappy hours including nights and weekends, poor management, company does not care about employees, very money driven.

Advice to Management

Employees are more than just bodies and clients are more than money bags.

6. "Will never work for them again"

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I worked at VCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on veterinary services, can bring pets to work, flexible hours

Cons

Pay is a joke. I took a minimum wage job as a veterinary assistant with the promise of a raise/pay differential when I went to overnights, which was my goal. After 2 weeks of "training," I was put on the night shift. It took me 7 months of repeatedly emailing management and trying to get them to meet with me before they gave me the pay I was promised when I signed the new hire paperwork.

Training was a joke as well. I was thrown in there to sink or swim. I had no previous veterinary experience and it was overwhelming. A lot of things, I just figured out on my own because no one bothered to/was assigned to instruct me properly or explain why things were done a certain way or what the purpose of anything was. Most of the time when I would ask questions, I would get irritated responses to my lack of knowledge instead of people trying to teach me/help me grow. Doctors would be extremely rude and sometimes even yell at me for not knowing things that I'd never been taught. It was extremely frustrating.

7. "Not that great"

I worked at VCA full-time

Pros

Good pay, flexible working hours and discounts if you have a pet, great career growth opportunities.

Cons

Manager should respect new employees and not talk behind their back and yelling across room. Not that great benefits and parking.

Advice to Management

Be nice to new comers and train them if they are not experienced with everything that is required for job position instead of telling everyone how inexperienced an employee is!!!!!!!And making fun of them.

"Night shift"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at VCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience was okay for my first job

Cons

Night shift and split shifts

"Antech Veterinary Professional"

Former Employee - Veterinary Pathologist
    Former Employee - Veterinary Pathologist

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Are you a masochist? Do you enjoy a flat career trajectory? Did you spend 8+ years and the equivalent of a mortgage on your education only to be treated like a sweatshop worker? Then VCA Antech is just the place for you!

Cons

Overworked, under recognized, poor communications cross departmentally, no visibility on decision making, flat landscape for development or advancement, and terrible benefits. Know that you will be working to support the lavish perks that the executive clique awards to themselves as bonus for squeezing another half penny out of your compensation.

Advice to Management

Veterinary medicine, and veterinary pathology in particular, is a small community. Word of poor treatment gets around, impacts your recruitment, your turnover, and your overall reputation in the veterinary marketplace.

"If I could give them no stars I would."

Pros

Nothing.at. All. N O T H I N G.

Cons

After dedicating 8+ years to this company, I dropped down my hours because I am pursuing a masters degree. Though I worked full time hours the majority of the year, because I dropped down my new average is 3 hours any of the average at which they are required to offer medical insurance. They make me sick because they care more about penny pinching than their employees. What a waste of my time.