VCA Reviews | Glassdoor

VCA Reviews

Updated May 10, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great employee discount, good medicine (in 19 reviews)

• Generous employee pet discount, quality medical ethics (in theory), state of the art facility, great dental insurance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to doing the same job other places (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management has limited exposure to hospitals and day to day operations (in 10 reviews)

1. "ok"

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Naperville, IL

I worked at VCA full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Good experience. Nice coworkers

Cons

Corporate medicine. Detached management. Pressure to sell

2. "groomers get the shaft"

Former Employee - Groomer in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Groomer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at VCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are good and family atmosphere

Cons

Needs were not met as far as equipment. I had two pregnancies during my employment and management refused to provide a table. I was forced to sign paperwork that said I would not lift over 40 lbs and then forced to lift over 70lbs. Then to add insult to injury , I was terminated for taking maternity leave, rehired and had to start all over as a new employee.

Advice to Management

Treat your groomers better. After all they bring in a ton of revenue with hardly any overhead. You would avoid personal injury lawsuits too!!

3. "Think about employees instead of getting promoted"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Highland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Highland Park, IL

I have been working at VCA full-time

Pros

Doctors are great! They care for the patients health most of the time.

Cons

Lack of professionalism from employees that have been there for over 10 years. Lack of career growth and opportunities. There is a higher level of professionalism and work ethic from employees have been there for less than three years then from those who have been there over ten years. They work twice as had and don't get paid half as much as those who have been there over ten years. There is lots of smack talk, gossiping, stabbing in the back, passive aggressiveness, and lack of team work that management does nothing about and thus allows it to happen. They do not pay a living wage, they rely on employees to enroll in government assistance. And being an AAHA accredited practice, they don't follow AAHA guidelines.

Advice to Management

The culture of the work environment needs to change. Don't leave confidential information laying about. No should know that that person that was just hired is getting better paid than all the others in that group who has more experience by $2/hr more.

"Associate Veterinarian"

Current Employee - Associate Veterinarian in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Veterinarian in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Each hospital can practice their own style. No cookie-cutter medicine

Cons

Negative accrual is a joke. Basically end up in the hole if taking time off so no real PTO. Limited opportunities to advance beyond an associate if not board certified or in good graces of higher-ups

Advice to Management

Create more diversity is medical director and above positions. We are in a profession with poor diversit and VCA reflects that at higher highe positions

6. "Not great...at all"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Lake Success, NY

I worked at VCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a paycheck when I needed one

Cons

Poor management, very little investment in employees, more emphasis on meeting quota than the quality or accuracy of some the veterinary diagnostic tests they performed

"Okay while it lasted"

Former Employee - Receptionist in North Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in North Houston, TX

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The other employees I worked with were amazing, very close family. The discounts are out of this world awesome if you are a full time employee. Also would get free samples from companies such as pet food, heartworm and flea preventions as well as various vac merch.

Cons

The management is horrible. The team leaders fought all the time in front of employees and sometimes in ear shot of clients. They changed their polices on how they wanted things done all the time and you would be reprimanded at the smallest of things like not capitolizing a letter. I'm not joking. Since I was let go from my job the employees who I worked with and thought I was friends with now avoid me like the plague. I have a feeling that management said some less than favorable things about why I left. Being there for 5+ years leaves you with nothing and trying to find another job in a different field other than veterinary is extremely hard because employers think that all you did was play with animals all day. But that's not the case. I regret working there but I also grew from it so I guess there's something that came out from that. With as much money that the hospital made our compensation was atrocious. We would have several clients that came in and drop a thousand dollars or more and that would be more than I made in a month. Was there over 5 years and never made a dollar more per hour than what I did when I started. Don't get excited when the yearly reviews and raises come around.

Advice to Management

Grow up and trust your employees.

8. "CSR"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at VCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great atmosphere, really great stepping stone on to something else.

Cons

salary and the hours could be tough

Advice to Management

try and stray away from being too corporate and focus more on the importance of the company and what it does for people and their families

"No love for employees"

Former Employee - RVT in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - RVT in Oakland, CA

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Medical,dental , 401k , life insurance. Well equipped hospitals (well most of them anyway).

Cons

No love for employees. Pay rate is absolutely terrible. Whatever you start at is what you will make your entire employment duration. If you really really push , then you might get a 50 cent raise after 2 years or so. Very high turn over rate especially in management. Alot of hospitals share 1 manager between 3 or 4 hospitals making them absent and disgruntled when they are there. Very petty corporate values regarding policies and the health care of patients. Doctors are forced to sell unnecessary products and services to meet a certain quota so as not to have salary deducted. Introduction of senior best care package puts employees health at risk by offering 5 view whole body x rays along with complete lab panel for cheap price. Employees are exposed to unnecessary and excessive amounts of radiation as doctors are encouraged to sell at least 10 packages a day resulting in nearly 100 exposurs in a day to employees for no good reason other that it's a good deal. Employees are pushed to sell new monthly installment package plans to clients that deduct money from your account monthly and can never be cancelled even if your pet dies. Employees are brainwashed a lot of times to believe that their isn't anything else better for them.

Advice to Management

Focus more on good medicine for your clients and patient's needs. Not corporate selling tactics. Value your employees and encourage long term employment.

"Work hard and it never truly pays off."

Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at VCA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been able to work my way up. The pet care discounts are helpful. Manager is as high as you can truly go.

Cons

Low salary, live paycheck to paycheck. Expected to be available 24-7. Medical Directors get all the credit for a financially successful hospital. Bonuses are next to impossible. Healthcare is $100.00 bucks per paycheck per employee and Dependants. Barely surviving. No positive comments from RODs. No pats on the back or words of encouragement. Must be something besides the pet discounts keeping me here. The hope that this will pay off financially? Been saying that for 12+ years. New managers are hired in desperation and Burst into flames due to lack of training. Good job not utilizing your senior managers to train.

11. "manage and review sales and purchase agreements"

Former Employee - Contract Administrator in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Contract Administrator in Southlake, TX

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

integrated team aids productivity close knit unit with proactive management.

Cons

Assigned projects to benefit top management VIP's often contrived and unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Analysis of cost benefits of potential agreements.