VCA Reviews | Glassdoor

VCA Reviews

Updated May 29, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great employee discount, good medicine (in 19 reviews)

• Generous employee pet discount, quality medical ethics (in theory), state of the art facility, great dental insurance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to doing the same job other places (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management has limited exposure to hospitals and day to day operations (in 10 reviews)

"Job Security with Stress, Anxiety and Evil Overlords"

Current Employee - Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at VCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, they are always hiring due to extremely high turn over. Availability to transfer to other areas/states when moving. Good pet discount for 4 of your pets, if you have more you're screwed, you can't even purchased the packages offered to clients.
    Get to do good work, get to know clients and their amazing pets. Making a difference in pets lives.
    Able to bring your pets to work.
    On site management is good.

Cons

Corporate and regional managers are so far removed from actual clinics that they have no understanding of how the clinics function. Regional managers don't respond to requests, phone calls or emails, but they come running if your profits drop. Unable to get help from corporate office when needed.

Extremely low pay, you will make more at a fast food restaurant or waiting tables. Extremely expensive health care benefits with very high deductibles, if you get sick you're going to be in debt.

Overtime is expected, not appreciated. Extremely high turnover. Pet discount is great for 4 pets, but if you go over there is nothing you can do. Most employees have more than 4 pets, many go to Banfield to get care for the additional pets, just for the lower costs. As an employee you can't even purchase the packages offered to clients.

Promotions into management are based on who can blow smoke the best, skills and hard work make no difference. The more you lie and don't do your job, the better your chances of moving into a regional position.

Based out of CA, no matter what state you are in you have to do everything by way of CA, doing a basic coaching can take 2 to 6 weeks to get approved - by then no one remembers why someone needed to be coached.

Too profit oriented - profit is important, but shorting hospitals because you refuse to pay reasonable wages, or purchase basic necessary equipment, or replace staff puts pets at risk. And this is acceptable to the corporate overlords, because it saves money in the short term.

Being forced to provide free day care to the on staff doctors - expect the doctors to bring their children to work with them 4 out of 5 days, and while they are working, their children are running around the hospital, disturbing post-op patients, interrupting critical patient care, disturbing clients, and having chair races in the treatment area. Okay for the doctors, but not allowed technician or other staff members, the rest of us actually have to pay for child care.

No work life balance. After all if they can make you work 13 hour days, why should they hire more staff? If you are short staffed and you don't fill the position quickly enough (because you are looking for someone who fits into your facility) be prepared to lose it. After all if you didn't fill it you must not need it.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away the power of the onsite management. Making everything go through someone in a different state who has never worked in a clinic (or outside of a cubicle) makes no sense and makes your staff feel de-valued. You have made it obvious that you are weaning out on site management with the way you keep taking away their basic job functions. But you aren't helping your hospitals, you are just making your employees stressed and angry.

Come and see our hospital and staff at work - in 2 years our regional manager has come to our clinic twice, and she is supposed to meet with our management team monthly. Get to know us and see what we can do, we're here because we love this field, let us do what we love.

Stop shuffling the regional managers around - at this point we all know your just promoting people who have failed at their previous positions, but you can't fire them because we're a CA based company. Promoting these people doesn't fix the problem (because there is obviously a problem), it just moves the problem to a different area.

Stop trying to pretend you aren't imitating Banfield. Just merge with them already. Every time you roll out a new "client program" everyone can see that it's following Banfield. We get it, Banfield makes money. If you want to imitate Banfield so badly, why don't you start paying us what they make? After all they pay more than VCA does.

You talk about making VCA a truly successful company that has client loyalty. But if you look at the successful companies like Google, Starbucks, and others, you'll see that they start with supporting their employees, and making sure they have employee loyalty. How do you expect your staff to sell VCA as an awesome place that clients should love and be loyal to, when the employees don't feel that way? You've skipped a major step in following all those successful companies. Instead of decreasing benefits and taking away things that make employees happy and makes them feel valued, try giving something back to your employees to show them they matter. If your staff loves your company, they will show that and clients will see it. And if clients see staff loving their clinics and jobs, they will love them too.

"managment"

Current Employee - Management in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Animals unlimited company money that's about it, not much else good to say. Unfortunately.

Cons

Over priced l, terrible upper managment, no family tolerated, bad pay

Advice to Management

Learn that people's employees come before any job! Not going and getting wasted at meetings every year, but families. Yearly meetings are an absolute joke. All it is, is a bunch of childish managers getting wasted for 4 days cheating on spouses. Oh, and did i mention spouses aren't allowed to accompany their significant others for that very reason. Vca would rather have drunk cheating divorces over mature married managment. It's as simple as that. Absolutely no family values with this company.

"Revenue Accountant"

Former Employee - Revenue Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Revenue Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

There is no best reason to work for this company

Cons

Work is endless process and you work more than 10 hrs a day. They only want you to work and don't live your life

Advice to Management

Should start thinking about their employees rather than focusing on making more money for the shareholders.

"Antech Diagnostics Not Recommended..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY

I worked at VCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, a parking lot and close to bus stops. There are some nice co-workers. You can learn how the corporate culture works, which may be useful for avoiding it in your future.

Cons

Long hours for every job position, low pay, half hour lunch breaks, expensive healthcare options with huge deductibles, disrespect from supervisors, bathroom breaks are scrutinized for time and frequency. Overtime is expected but not appreciated. Good work is over looked, you will never hear the words "good job". Any mistake is exaggerated beyond rational expectations. Jobs here are mainly entry level, even when they sound like so much more on the interview. Plan to learn fast and move on from this "stepping-stone" company with an extremely high turn-over rate.

Advice to Management

Raise the base pay, stop the 8.5 hour workday, add a one hour, paid lunch break. Being treated like a valuable employee starts there, the returns to the company can be huge. There is a lot more work to be done. Every single person with any subordinates should be required to attend meetings designed to help them properly deal with employees.

"Only in it for corporate profit."

Current Employee - LVT in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - LVT in Newark, DE

Pros

The other employees, who genuinely care about the outcome for clients and patients.

Cons

We are all getting swindled. Tha Antins have built an empire on the blood sweat and tears of good hard working people they overwork and under pay

"Don't believe the recruitment ads."

Former Employee - Veterinarian, Medical Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Veterinarian, Medical Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, 401K and "some" decisions are made at a local level. And that is being nice.

Cons

The immediate money is what counts at this company; pet and pet owners are secondary. And staff is at the bottom of the scale!!! 3 paid holidays per year!! And raises/salaries are low, yearly only, no matter how hard you work. Drs are asked to do unpaid duties all the time; and they will add to your contract at their discretion! You can leave if you do not like it. There is no interest to change anything.
    Many successful hospitals are being run into the ground by management who refuse to understand that customer service (after hours availability, care not to raises fee so high, happy staff, maintained facilities, ....) was the reason for the success.

Advice to Management

Get out of California and truly visit your hospitals. Spend some time seeing what works and what does not (our regional people would stay an hour or two every so often, and totally ignored the majority of the staff). Have true feedback from the clients (we were instructed to report only positive feedback !!!). Stay more local, pet owners who want to do a lot for their pets are a different breed; try to understand their mentality better. And please, take better care of your workforce. Read veterinary magazines, specially the ones that are staff oriented!! And have the support office truly support the hospitals. We stopped calling to get help after a while, they were never aware or knowledgable. And sometimes the calls ended up putting some of our staff in trouble... If we mentioned any medical conditions, personal problems, etc, ; we would end up being hounded for months with unreasonable questions.

8. "Ok for part time work"

Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at VCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I did get a lot of opportunities to do different work and get trained to do different tasks even though I was kennel.

Cons

Even though I was trained to do other tasks, I was never given the opportunity to actually grow.

9. "AP Admin"

Current Employee - AP Clerk in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - AP Clerk in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at VCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Simple tasks to be performed, and the people are easy going.

Cons

Not any significant ones. Seems like a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Horrible - stay away"

Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Seeing clients with their animals

Cons

Regional Management-Corporate environment - HIGHLY profit driven without regard for employees - poor management

Advice to Management

Get with the program and try to dig deeper to find out why your turnover is so high. Teach management how to manage!

"Great Company, Pricey Benefits, Be Ready to Spend Your Workday Glued to PC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The best reasons to work here are solid company with long-term potential job security in the Corporate Offices. Top Execs are solid and the job perks include company lunches & after-hour fun functions. If you get into the right Department, great place to work. One week vacation to start. Three weeks after 5 years. Very pleasant surroundings. Very pet friendly! You can even bring your pet to work!

Cons

The challenges include very pricey benefits, quirky departmental management with hit and miss communications styles. And if you're not ready to live your life at work glued to your PC for a solid 8 hours per day, then it's not for you. Very word processing, repetitive tasking & spreadsheet heavy workload. Raises limited to max of 4% a year so not much room. 4% rarely given. Lack of effective training and support. If you don't figure it out yourself, be prepared to move on quickly!

Advice to Management

Better benefits options with more a la carte choices as payscale-salary gets eaten up by benefits packages. Twice as expensive to provide health, dental & vision for my family compared to previous employer. Covering my family costs $600+ per month!