VF "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

VF Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated May 1, 2019

3.6
VF President & CEO Steve Rendle (no image)
Steve Rendle
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "VF is a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Transportation Coordinator in Greenville, SC

I have been working at VF full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fairly compensated for job roles. Benefits - insurance, 401K, Education reimbursement, on the job training.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with lower level workers.

VF2019-04-22
  2. "Good retail job"

I worked at VF part-time

Pros

Good people and decent management

Cons

Hard to communicate problems to upper management

VF2018-01-19

"Terrible mgmt and poor work-live balance. Learn & leave"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at VF full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you didn't experience it before, you will learn a lot about how the ''good ol boys club'' work. Learning how to manage up. Upper management has no idea what their teams are actually working on and day to day operations of the business nor do they care to. You have to learn how to manage your boss and provide need-to-know information. Bosses are not in the office or forget weekly touchbases so when you have their attention, only provide need-to-know info. The rest is on you to figure out. You learn a lot about how finance influences many decisions. Learn how to negotiate vendor contracts (which procurement should help with but they creates more hassle) Revenue is a top priority over anything so they end up chasing the bottom line as opposed to being strategic. This creates a REACTIVE environment which teaches you how to be agile and move quickly after certain market changes. Good and bad thing. You become a Powerpoint deck making expert! There are multiple decks to create each week, month, quarter so you'll be a wiz if you aren't already. This is a sarcastic pro. I recommend having a firm exit strategy upon entry. Work here and gain industry experience and leave. You will be better off than possibly getting let go based on ''business needs.'' You need to play the game. Learn all you can and move on quickly. I'm recommending people to work here so they know the difference between a bad and good work environment. Only then will you appreciate a good place once you've experienced this soulless place.

Cons

Upper management are all shuffled around from different brands based on WHO they knew, not WHAT they know about the brand. They let talented people go on the account of ''corp. restructuring based on business needs'' which is complete nonsense. When finance asks various departments to cut budgets, the first thing that goes is the head count. In the past 1.5 year, there have been 3 layoffs which all happened around the end and start of the year. Very slow to change and utilize new technologies to reach different audiences. It's sad but some brands just optimized their website to be mobile responsive. People have been surfing the internet on their phones for over 10 years! There's no work-life balance. You always end up working through lunch and extra hours in the evening. They keep getting rid of people so those left have to take on more and more until it becomes unmanageable and something falls through the cracks. Ensure you send and receive EVERYTHING in writing and keep a log of every time you voiced your concerns. It will come back to bite you if you can't prove voiced risks. Email is your best friend. There's no onboarding process for ANY role I've seen. HR is not quick enough to hire people after someones gives 2 weeks notice. The next backfill will have a trial by fire initiation into their role. There's little opportunity to move around in roles. There's no rotational program instituted to give people a chance to explore additional opportunities within the brand.

Advice to Management

Only management that will likely read this is someone who was shuffled between brands so it's pretty useless. But just in case, listen to your employees and understand their roles. At the very least, know what your employees do on a day-to-day basis and try to ensure a work-life balance. Stop getting rid of dedicated people based on ''the needs of the business'' and keep those who really work hard and love their job. There are a lot of us who love what we do but want the environment we do it in to change. Reduce the urge to pull immediate revenue driving activities that cheapen the brand image. It's not doing you any favors in the eyes of your consumers and it makes life miserable for those who have to work day and night to make those changes happen. Don't promote ''friends'' who have to get up to speed on the brand itself. Hire new people who actually understand the industry, audience and have depth of knowledge.

VF2018-01-12

"Not what I thought it was going to be"

I worked at VF

Pros

Discounts, coworkers , my manager was great fair , different days celebrated

Cons

Upper Management decisions, HR not always helpful, groups can be clicky like high school sometimes

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

VF2017-07-21

"Grind on, little Hamster"

Former Employee - Design in New York, NY

I worked at VF full-time for more than a year

Pros

401k, benefits, health incentives. The quoted working hours from HR are 9am-5pm. Nice office space. Some people were pleasant to work with.

Cons

The compensation was terrible, especially for the level of work being put out, required travel, late nights. Raises and bonuses were non-existent. Lots of wasted development all requested by Merchandising. As I said before, working hours are 9-5pm. A new manager came in and changed that. I have usually no problem staying a little late on occasion and I work hard to meet deadlines, but this was quoted by HR and I think power from management was abused often. No appreciation at all. I don't think upper management understands the product, therefore there's no passion behind it.

Advice to Management

Live up to the set company standards and get rid of toxic managers who don't respect their team. Without your "underlings", you'd have nothing to sell.

VF2017-06-14
  6. "Logistics Manager"

I have been working at VF full-time

Pros

Clothing discounts. Wear jeans everyday to work.

Cons

Upper Management does not communicate

VF2017-03-03
  7. "Product Management"

I worked at VF

Pros

Great product management experience for traditional apparel manufacturing

Cons

Lack of visibility to upper management

VF2016-11-02

"laid back atmosphere but a lot of changes happening"

I worked at VF

Pros

laid back environment, casual dress code, nice people, beautiful campus

Cons

Lack or communication from upper management, too many big changes within department, lack of training, lack of advancement for newer employees

VF2016-05-11

"Depends...."

I have been working at VF full-time

Pros

Good products, benefits, healthy environment

Cons

The upper management doesn't expand your possibility of opportunities for growth.Lack of respect for employees.

Advice to Management

Management should be efficient and have well educated employees working and most importantly not allow mistreatment and lack of respect. HR isnt involved in any aspect of the work life.

VF2014-04-14
  10. "Good place to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kingston upon Thames, England

I have been working at VF full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Health benefits Good amount of discount across brands 40hr work weeks flexible shift pattern depending on management

Cons

Retail Upper management always trying to cut hours Smaller stores often left alone and forgotten about Poor planning in many cases Money and staff retention is low (usually due to money)

Advice to Management

Look to pay scales and retail operational side of projects and how it works with technology.

VF2019-05-01