VGM Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at VGM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, benefits are fantastic.

Cons

No real cons to speak of.

2. "Tough Job"

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Waterloo, IA

I worked at VGM Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

workplace is very friendly

Cons

Training is not extensive and you get thrown into the job with the expectation to figure it out as you go. It is a highly stressful and demanding job.

3. "Great company"

I worked at VGM Group full-time

Pros

Large company, small feel; employee owned; positive energy

Cons

Communication from top down; success is based off friendships not work ethic; salary/wage is lower than industry avg b/c it's an esop

Advice to Management

Be more involved with associates, when you hear negative things about performance (individual or division) get involved rather than taking someone's word for it.

"Outstanding Company"

Current Employee - Associate in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Associate in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at VGM Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

VGM is a unique company which is full of opportunities for long term growth. The employee environment is overall an experience which motivates associates to show up and deliver their best everyday. As an ESOP, the long term financial opportunity is a huge bonus as there are few within the Cedar Valley. VGM is looked at as a thought leader in the industries they serve and the management acts as such. If an associate has a new idea and is willing to put the effort in to benefit its membership they will generally support it. As in any job, in order to be successful you have to be self-motivated and driven. Both of which are rewarded at VGM.

They invest in you as an individual with training opportunities, field experience alongside of the sales team, and attending a conference if you make.

There is always something going on which employees can engage in whether it be the Christmas party, random "fun" days, a 5k and more. The fitness and locker facility for employees and spouses is first class and open 24 hours a day.

VGM places a high standard on its senior management and hires some of the best in the industries that it serves.

Technologically, the IT support is quick and helpful and I have never gone without a piece of technology that I needed to support my responsibilities.

Cons

When you remove the ESOP, at the lower levels of the job ladder, the annual compensation seems to lag behind other comparable positions in major companies such as VGM.

5. "Use Lots of perks to compensate"

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator
    Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator

I worked at VGM Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company offers lots of perks such as a free clinic, excellent benefits, 401k and ESOP, on-site gym, and many discounts in the community.

Cons

Inadequate training, management provides no help when needed

Advice to Management

When an employee repeatedly asks for help try helping them instead of simply documenting their shortcomings in order to replace them.

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Sales in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at VGM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, ESOP, modern office building

Cons

Office noise, lack of flexibility in jobs (lack of remote opportunities), hindered by poor technology, new technology implemented by non-experts causing more confusion, no division is on the same page throughout the 30 division company. The commission is paid quarterly if accounting is on time (typically 3x per year commission).

Advice to Management

More flexible with work from home opportunities. A commission is used during salary bargaining, but we never seem to see the commission until a month or two months after the quarter ends. A commission check should be paid monthly.

7. "Amazing Committee to the person that is the Employee!"

I have been working at VGM Group full-time

Pros

VGM leadership care about the people that are the employees within the company. Consciously working to do what is right and good by the people, knowing that will make the company and work we do even better!

Cons

We have yet to have a food truck in the parking lot daily (currently once/week)

8. "A great place to work!"

I have been working at VGM Group full-time

Pros

Great workplace culture. Lots of opportunity for advancement and involvement.

Cons

Little diversity of race and ethnicity.

9. "Overall, good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

I worked at VGM Group full-time

Pros

Benefits, pay, flexibility are all pretty good. Family like atmosphere despite growing very quickly. Rated the number one company to work for in Iowa last year by the Des Moines Register.

Cons

Management can be somewhat difficult to work with. Frequently do not promote from within and can be more numbers driver than customer service driven despite the push to be customer service oriented.

Advice to Management

Look within the company to promote and build up the associates that you currently have. Work on approachability across all level of management.

10. "Benefits Amazing, job not so amazing"

I have been working at VGM Group full-time

Pros

Benefits are awesome. Pay is okay if you're starting out in the professional world. Free gym is nice too.

Cons

Hours are not very family oriented (hired for 10-7 Mon-Friday) ended up working Saturdays as well. Do not have enough employees to efficiently get work done in the department I worked with.

Advice to Management

Be more open to employee suggestions. My department has had several meetings with management requesting more employees with no success. Recently cut a department and made them move to a department that they were not okay with moving towards.