VHA Reviews | Glassdoor

Vincent Huang

1. "Great place to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA

I worked at VHA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company really cares for employees

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employees

2. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA

Pros

The company really does focus on the employees. From training opportunities, personal development and health and wellness options, we are really well supported. Although some will say it's a Christian based company, it's not prevalent or uncomfortable if you aren't Christian. They simply focus on simple principles like people and results.

Cons

Nothing has come up for me.

Advice to Management

Keep driving to help people reach their goals. Continue to close the loop on feedback so everyone has input to impact the company.

"Customer Service Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Diamond Bar, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Diamond Bar, CA

I worked at VHA (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, medical, dental, fitness room and lunch provide.

Cons

Everything else, the upper management refuses to understand they need to be part of the team and take responsibility of the shortcomings of their decisions.

Advice to Management

Heed your own advise, take feedback and be humble in your approach to your team. Stop blaming the underlings for shortcomings.

"Don't fall into their trap if they try to recruit you..."

Former Employee - Field Account Manager in Diamond Bar, CA
    Former Employee - Field Account Manager in Diamond Bar, CA

I worked at VHA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of. I feel bad for the sales people working there, especially the veterans who have been there for several years and are making a lower base salary than the new people that are hired in.

Cons

I have no idea how there are any positive reviews on here from other sales people, unless the upper management are posting reviews or certain people were bribed to write a positive review. For the sake of others who might get called on / recruited by this company and want to do a bit of research on them first before accepting an offer, I thought I should share my experience and hopefully save you from making a horrible choice.

My time working with this place was by far the worst experience I've ever had in my life. I'll start out by stating that I was recruited in by them and not unemployed when I accepted their offer.
    I was told that I'd be making a slightly higher salary than I was making at my other company with better commission structure, that the benefits were all company paid and wonderful (it turns out there's an extremely high deductible and the benefits are terrible), the travel would be fairly local and that there would be an intensive Boot Camp training, but no description beyond that about anything. They are really nice people over the phone, lure you in at first and it seems like a good company until you realize they are "hiding something." In fact, they are hiding a lot. I fell for their trap and accepted the offer and left my previous position, which I could have easily stayed with.

This leads me to the many things that I was not told during the interview process:
    There is absolutely zero job security. In fact, you're lucky if you even make it past their initial "Boot Camp" training, which is usually within your first month of employment. Even if you do make it past that, you can expect to be on probation pretty much the entire time that you work there. Their training revolves all around role playing instead of training you on real life situations with dealers that actually matter. Their goal is to get you set for the "real world" and to "play for real" as they claim via role playing with them, but none of your actual encounters with your dealers (or the dealers themselves) will be anything remotely like what they throw at you, so it doesn't end up helping you at all. They don't train you on the necessities or vital technical information and instead focus on all just role playing...period. Don't expect that to be easy either because they will make it as difficult as humanly possible for you.
     During the Boot Camp they will show you Coast Guard video clips to serve as an analogy for working together as a team (yet they will continuously contradict themselves about teamwork throughout the week), that only doing your very best is acceptable no matter what, and that you'll literally be sent home if you don't make it through the training in their eyes. They constantly beat you down verbally the entire time to the point where most people at some point during the week start crying and eventually bring up tough parts of their life that are private, like their marriage that fell apart. I witnessed one employee literally confess very personal information about their life to these managers whom they had just met for the first time, and they were let go two days later DURING the training. No, I'm not kidding...I'm being completely serious. The management thrives off of this and sees it as you revealing your inner core and succumbing to their company culture and 7 step process. They expect you to unlearn everything you have learned in how to approach sales in general prior to working for them (even if you've been in sales with a successful record for a decade or longer) and have their new process down pat immediately or they will simply dispose of you...sometimes even during the initial training. I've had several employees tell me that they witnessed others not making it through the training or being kicked out to the point where 2/3 of people did not even complete it. This is probably because the management (females in particular) will mock you, whisper to each other and snicker if they think your role playing isn't up to their standards. Afterwards, if you don't "ace" your performance, they spout off a bunch of negative things and make you feel terrible about yourself, which results in you losing confidence in your future ability to perform in front of them, instead of providing positive coaching and reinforcement like any sane manager or company would do who actually cares about their employees. They call this being "direct and kind" to you because they "love you." Then they follow up with stating that they are praying for everyone in the room and that they want everyone to pass their training and stay (they are all super Christian, which I will touch more on later). Don't expect to be able to give them any honest feedback either when they explicitly ask you, because then you won't be "humble" in their eyes. Don't expect to get more than 4-5 hours of sleep every night during their boot camp, because they purposely ensure that you won't. It's all a strange mind game to them and they expect you to act like you're in the army and to be stoic, robotic and "humble" like their lead trainer.
    Another major note: They pride themselves on "honesty" as a core value, yet aren't actually honest with their employees at all. When I asked a specific question regarding an upcoming training, I was directly lied to and then the manager even confessed to doing so afterwards, stating that I would have been ahead of others and too prepared if he would have told me the truth.
    Another huge bonus thing about this company (note the sarcasm here): The upper management are all super Christian and alienate those who aren't. The people who stay with them and get promoted are all either Christian who identify with their values or gladly accept their strange culture that involves prayer meetings and even a prayer room at their corporate location. They even hired in a company consultant at one point who recommended that people get more in touch with Christ. Yet, they aren't even declared as a Christian company.

Some additional good info to know before accepting a position with them:
    They are fully aware of the fact that they won't be around much longer as a company. In fact, there was a speech not too long ago informing all employees that they are aware that Sprint is in the process of cutting their Master Agents and it's only a matter of time before they cut them as well. Do they have a back up plan for employees? None at all, and they even boldly stated that during the company speech. Their mission is simply to be the last Master Agent standing.
    Will they tell you any of this during the interview process? They certainly didn't tell me. I'm sure that even if the recruiters try to remain oblivious to what is going on at VHA, they have to know from the extremely high turnover rate and constant drama just how messed up the situation there is and that if they told any potential future employees any of this info during the interview process, they would run for the hills instead of accepting their job offer (which they seemed pretty darn quick to offer me in my case). Most of the other employees I spoke with who have been there for a while either left around the same time I did, are all looking for other jobs, or are unhappy with the state of the company and management there.

Thankfully, I have moved on from this company and it is a huge relief. I hope that any of you reading this who are thinking about working for them will at least think twice and hopefully, move on to something else instead. Please trust me when I state that it will save you from enduring a lot of needless stress, corporate corruption and likely just losing your job anyhow with them within the first 90 days. The guaranteed commission you are promised for the first 3 months you're working there...yeah, there's a good reason for that.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, don't lie to people. There are people out there willing to accept and respect working for a corporation with a really weird, condescending and religious culture, but I am not one of them and you are basically scamming people into working for you when you don't reveal any of this important information during the interview process. It really isn't fair to put people in the position where they quit their other job or jobs to work with your company and it ends up being the total opposite of what they expect, especially when they ask you questions straight to your face and are purposely lied to when you claim that one of your company core values is honesty. I was cheated out of my time that I could've been spending looking for a real job and I'll never get that back.
    I think that when VHA actually does get cut as a Master Agent (which likely won't be very long from now), and the management has to find refuge at another company that won't follow along with their strange so-called culture and values, they might finally realize just how corrupt it is there.

"Company on downside."

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VHA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brand new office in beautiful setting.

Cons

The Executive Management team micro manages their direct reports, manage by negative reinforcement and are not open to new ideas. Very high turnover due to negative atmosphere, no career path and dated business practices.

Advice to Management

Hire new blood with new, innovative ideas and let them manage. Stop trying to mold every hire into a vision of yourself.

"Was fun. Now it is better than not having a job"

Current Employee - Field Account Manager in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at VHA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great. Internal support is exceptional. Known as #1 in the industry. Dealers also love VHA.

Cons

Low pay for the work expected (known as lowest paying Master Agent) . Compensation plan is not clear and depending on position not in writing. High turnover in outside team and management. Expect a lot of Christian faith references in meetings. Will tell you what you do wrong while not recognizing what you do right. Low field moral.

Advice to Management

Internally many people are not happy. Many field based members dont know how they are being paid. Fear based management is taking its toll on employees. Seems as though the right hand doesn't know what the left is dong. Too many requests for reports, meetings and extra work for the low salary and bonus opportunities. Many great employees are looking to move on.

"Not great but not bad"

Former Employee - Field Account Manager in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Field Account Manager in City of Industry, CA

I worked at VHA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All your basic benefits plus profit sharing. The company really does try to be better both externally and internally.

Cons

Have to know your way around the company to get things done quickly. Swim or sink mentality. Really fast-paced and have to be able to wear twenty different hats. Good thing is if you can survive here, you can survive anywhere. Occasionally there's some preaching of The Man (religion).

Advice to Management

Know who your best assets (employees) are and treat them well. Otherwise they will leave for better opportunities.

"Great place to work company is staffed with awesome people"

Current Employee - Field Account Manager in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at VHA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full medical benefits, vision, dental, 401k, Profit sharing and paid vacation.

Cons

Need to work long days if you want to keep up with the job, very fast paced Environment. Requires a lot of travel, sometimes overnight, with last minute notice.

Advice to Management

Need to establish organized training in order for employees to benefit from it.

"A place to call home, and people to call family."

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Industry, CA

I worked at VHA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From day one, I was met with smiling faces and open arms from every employee at VHA. The culture is amazing, mainly because this company was built on good standards and a solid moral foundation.
    Lunch was provided to the entire company Monday - Thursday, which was a great perk!
    There are a lot of people who have been with the company since its conception about 10 years ago.
    I can see why they stayed!

Cons

Policies and Procedures. Since VHA is still a fairly new company, they need a lot of work putting policies and procedures in place. A simple fix.

Advice to Management

Never stop growing! Refine policies and procedures.

11. "Field account manager"

I have been working at VHA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and grow perfessionally

Cons

High turnover if you don't fit their culture