VIPKID Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Perfect Job For Me"

Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY
    Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to do from home. No commute, no child care, no savvy business clothes, no commuting in the snow, and the best part is every day is "bring your cat to work day!" My cat, Bootsie, loves my job as much as I do! No kidding, I've had parents post reviews on my cat! The kids love it! Payment is once a month. I don't mind that because then it its a big check. You know what to expect and money is in the account on time. I love the children I teach. It is amazing how close you get to the family from the other side of the world!

Cons

You'll read that there is not enough work. I don't think that is accurate. I've been with VIPKID going on six months. My first contract is at an end. My first month I made $55.00. The next month I more than doubled that, and every month after has been going higher and higher. I am now teaching about five hours a day and making very good money for wearing pajama bottoms and an orange t-shirt. My monthly is in the four figure range. The thing is you have to give the parents a reason to schedule with you. Sitting around waiting for bookings to come is not good. You won't get far teaching only trial students; although, trial students become regular students and they will remember your smiling face. The trick to getting more bookings is to take advantages of their certifications in different areas. In November I got certified to do the major courses and my schedule is now completely and totally packed. I literally have a very full schedule, teaching around eleven classes a day. You hear a lot of complaints about missing classes. When you teach, even at a school, attendance is important. As far as online schools go, VIPKID is the most liberal. I could have worked with DaDaAbc and made a lot more money. Their attendance policy is HORRENDOUS! You are locked into a schedule that will not vary, cannot travel. I have two homes and I could only teach at one. My travel was stopped. VIPKID encourages their teachers to live a life. Its great stories for the kids. When I am at my place in Brooklyn, they are pretty amazed to see NYC. My students get to see a variety of things, which VIPKID was pretty smart to encourage their teachers to live a life.

Advice to Management

I have never had a problem with management. They encourage teachers to have "Meet Ups" and network. I'm going to my first one on Friday. Management offers advancement opportunities and the ability to get more certifications, which equates to more money. That is a good thing. The one negative thing you always hear about is the recruitment process. They now have meet ups in the big cities where prospective teachers can do face to face meetings. My experience was not bad, it wasn't easy either, but I held steady, went through the steps and started working. However, compared to the interview process I had with DaDaAbc (and that is a fine program too), VIPKID was a cake walk! Since you are dealing with an employer thousands of miles away, do you really think it would be flawless? I've seen positive changes since I've been here. I really love the management encourages their teachers to be silly! The other schools limit interaction and NO silliness. For a great work environment, I'm very ok with a little less in pay if I am happy, can travel, and interact with the kids. I like they use real teachers to do your evaluations. It all boils down to this: there are other schools out there that pay even more. To me, it is not worth the hassle. I've yet to find a person who got rich teaching, so happiness and job satisfaction should be your guiding principle, and I'm very happy where I am now.

Jan 4, 2018 – Program Manager

We are honored that you love using our platform! Thank you so much!

2. "Great Job Experience"

I have been working at VIPKID full-time

Pros

I love VIPKID. I have been working at this company more than a year. I do enjoy working here. We have the best teachers and best students. They really enjoy our platform. Thank VIPKID for the opportunity to work here!

Cons

There isn't any downside here.

May 22, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

You’re pretty awesome too. Thanks!

"ESL Teacher"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID (Less than a year)

Pros

FLEXIBILITY. Goodness, I cannot explain how important this is in my life. Finding a job where you can set your own hours is golden. The children are adorable. The teaching material is provided for us, so we don't have to lesson plan. Great pay for a part time job.

Cons

Most classes are taught between the hours of 5 to 9am. You can also work evenings but it is not as easy to get booked during those house. 5-9 is the sweet spot.

Advice to Management

I think more of us would like a shot at going to headquarters in China.

May 20, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We are very glad that you’re having such a good time teaching with VIPKID!

4. "Awesome Kids, Great Company"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Crimora, VA
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Crimora, VA

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

VIPKID provides comprehensive training. Pay is great. Kids are awesome. I love teaching one on one. Easy platform to use. There are no minimum work hours per week.

Cons

The company aggressively hires teachers with no guarantee of students. It takes time to build student base and bookings can be low for a while.

Advice to Management

Keep finding ways to help new teachers build their student base. Look bookings are discouraging.

May 22, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! VIPKID will definitely take it into consideration.

"Great company"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to create your own schedule and work as little/as much as you want. They are a very communicative company; they send weekly update emails. They also give you the lesson plans, so as long as you are prepared and look at the power points ahead of time, you will feel prepared to teach.

Cons

Getting paid monthly- not necessarily a downside, (and I understand their reasoning for it) but if it's your only source of income and you're someone who needs more cash flow, it might be difficult to wait for your paycheck.

May 15, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

6. "Teacher"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set my own schedule, work in my pajamas, teach adorable kids

Cons

The pay is not the best I ever had, but not terrible either.

May 14, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

"Online ESL Teacher: A Rewarding, yet Undervalued Position"

Pros

1. Wonderful Students
    I had the opportunity to share my passion of the English language with many children who were (mostly) eager to work hard and learn. I never would have imagined that it was possible to form such a strong bond with kids who live half a world away.

2. Home-based Business
    You don’t have to deal with nightmare traffic if you live in a large city. If you are a parent, you can stay home with your children.

3. Bonuses and Incentives
    It is possible to earn up to a $2 bonus per class at the end of the month depending on your attendance record and the number of classes taught. There are various other incentives that change from month to month; these can help you earn extra money on top of your base pay.

4. Online Community
    There is a company-run forum (Freshdesk) in which teachers strongly support each other and answer each other’s questions. Working solely online can make one feel isolated, but this feature provided a sense of community. Various workshops are available for teachers looking to strengthen their abilities or enhance their classrooms.

Cons

1. Unreasonable Cancellation/No-Show Policy

A. Cancelling a class for ANY reason is highly frowned upon by the company. Exceeding the allotted number of cancellations (roughly three working days per six-month contract) can result in termination with no consideration for a teacher’s overall rating and attendance record.

B. Excessive documentation and detailed descriptions must be provided in order for the cancellation to not count.

C. Even if sufficient proof of an emergency or other uncontrollable event is submitted, there is no guarantee that the cancellations will be reversed. I once had to cancel two classes when my network went down unexpectedly, both of which were labeled as “Teacher No-Shows.” I wanted the labels to be changed to “Teacher IT” and followed the protocol by providing news articles, a multi-city outage map, a written statement from my service provider, and screenshots of my communication with the IT support staff through the company’s phone app. Even with all of that documentation, I was told that the classes would remain labeled as “Teacher No-Shows” with no further explanation. To add insult to injury, $20 was deducted from that month’s earned wages ($10 for each class missed). This happened just days after I signed my second contract; I certainly wouldn’t have renewed it had I known that these types of situations are handled so poorly (and my case is very mild compared to what other teachers discussed in the forums!).

D. Every teacher is allotted the same number of cancellations whether they teach 15 or 70+ classes per week.

E. The teacher has three minutes to enter the virtual classroom. Failure to do so (even if network issues delay classroom entrance) will automatically result in a “Teacher No-Show” and a $10 deduction from that month’s wages.

2. Serious Technical Difficulties

A. Before there were 15,000+ teachers, the platform typically ran well. However, during the last six months (as of July 2017), the sheer number of students and teachers logging on at once has bogged the system down significantly.

B. I upgraded my equipment THREE times over the course of a year and changed phone companies to invest in a backup hotspot, but many issues persisted (including flickering cameras, sound lag, and echoing/feedback).

C. While the support staff were generally helpful, they were inundated with requests for assistance and were sometimes quick to label the class as a “Teacher IT Problem” rather than take the time to resolve the issues. This practice was particularly troublesome because teachers are not paid for classes with this label.

D. While some solutions were presented (a US-based server, alternate web addresses, stabilizer software), they were ultimately not reliable.

3. Slow Communication

A. Due to the time difference and lack of an escalation channel for urgent issues, it takes anywhere from 12-48 hours to receive responses to tickets.

B. Requests and inquiries often have to be reworded several times due to the language barrier, further delaying the process.

Advice to Management

1. Establish a more accommodating cancellation policy. VIPKID touts itself as being flexible; however, the current system is anything but. So many loyal teachers fear losing their jobs and are experiencing undue stress simply because illness, IT issues, and other emergencies have caused them to exceed the meager number of allotted cancellations.

2. It is well-known that China has persistent internet issues. If you as a company are not going to acknowledge this fact, then at least hire more IT staff to support the growing number of teachers and students. This will especially cut down on the number of classes that are haphazardly labeled as “Teacher IT Problems.”

3. Hire additional additional ticket agents (especially ones who speak English fairly well).

As the current policies stand, contracted teachers are undervalued. Implementing these suggestions will improve company/contractor relations and create a more respectful working environment and will reduce the turnover rate.

Aug 24, 2017 – Engagement Manager

You are also always welcome to send us a ticket through our Fresh Desk system and we will be happy to help.

"Fun, PT Work from home"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule
    Easy to follow lesson plans
    Classes are 25-28 min each
    Great base pay

Cons

Cancellation policy (has improved since I first started a year ago)
    Hours are challenging depending on your time zone in relation to BJT

Apr 24, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

VIPKID cares a lot for our teachers, who are also our trusted business partners. We are glad to hear your comments!

9. "Great company"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    Set your own schedule
    Teaching

Cons

No cons at this time.

May 10, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We are very glad that you found VIPKID too!

"English TSL teacher."

Current Employee - English, PE Teacher Fitness Coach in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - English, PE Teacher Fitness Coach in Boise, ID

I have been working at VIPKID full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can set my own schedule. I can work from home and the classroom environment is fun and energetic. I love working in a positive environment with excitement and positiveness.

Cons

Waking up at 2am. No personal relation to the office/management. No grace or flexibility for sickness,accidents or unexpected circumstances.

Advice to Management

N/A

May 16, 2018 – Social Media Specialist