VIPKID Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Perfect Job For Me"

Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY
    Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to do from home. No commute, no child care, no savvy business clothes, no commuting in the snow, and the best part is every day is "bring your cat to work day!" My cat, Bootsie, loves my job as much as I do! No kidding, I've had parents post reviews on my cat! The kids love it! Payment is once a month. I don't mind that because then it its a big check. You know what to expect and money is in the account on time. I love the children I teach. It is amazing how close you get to the family from the other side of the world!

Cons

You'll read that there is not enough work. I don't think that is accurate. I've been with VIPKID going on six months. My first contract is at an end. My first month I made $55.00. The next month I more than doubled that, and every month after has been going higher and higher. I am now teaching about five hours a day and making very good money for wearing pajama bottoms and an orange t-shirt. My monthly is in the four figure range. The thing is you have to give the parents a reason to schedule with you. Sitting around waiting for bookings to come is not good. You won't get far teaching only trial students; although, trial students become regular students and they will remember your smiling face. The trick to getting more bookings is to take advantages of their certifications in different areas. In November I got certified to do the major courses and my schedule is now completely and totally packed. I literally have a very full schedule, teaching around eleven classes a day. You hear a lot of complaints about missing classes. When you teach, even at a school, attendance is important. As far as online schools go, VIPKID is the most liberal. I could have worked with DaDaAbc and made a lot more money. Their attendance policy is HORRENDOUS! You are locked into a schedule that will not vary, cannot travel. I have two homes and I could only teach at one. My travel was stopped. VIPKID encourages their teachers to live a life. Its great stories for the kids. When I am at my place in Brooklyn, they are pretty amazed to see NYC. My students get to see a variety of things, which VIPKID was pretty smart to encourage their teachers to live a life.

Advice to Management

I have never had a problem with management. They encourage teachers to have "Meet Ups" and network. I'm going to my first one on Friday. Management offers advancement opportunities and the ability to get more certifications, which equates to more money. That is a good thing. The one negative thing you always hear about is the recruitment process. They now have meet ups in the big cities where prospective teachers can do face to face meetings. My experience was not bad, it wasn't easy either, but I held steady, went through the steps and started working. However, compared to the interview process I had with DaDaAbc (and that is a fine program too), VIPKID was a cake walk! Since you are dealing with an employer thousands of miles away, do you really think it would be flawless? I've seen positive changes since I've been here. I really love the management encourages their teachers to be silly! The other schools limit interaction and NO silliness. For a great work environment, I'm very ok with a little less in pay if I am happy, can travel, and interact with the kids. I like they use real teachers to do your evaluations. It all boils down to this: there are other schools out there that pay even more. To me, it is not worth the hassle. I've yet to find a person who got rich teaching, so happiness and job satisfaction should be your guiding principle, and I'm very happy where I am now.

Jan 4, 2018 – Program Manager

2. "ESL Online Teacher"

Current Employee - ESL Online Teacher in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - ESL Online Teacher in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from the comfort of your home, work the hours you want.

Cons

Working AM or Late at night, but it allows you to have a life out side of a job.

Advice to Management

AWESOME job everyone!

Dec 9, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

You’re pretty awesome too. Thanks!

"Online English Teacher"

Pros

Love, love working from home. VIPKID gives me a chance to do what I love now that I am no longer homeschooling my own kids. VIPKID offers very flexible scheduling. They promote a fun teacher environment online by offering challenges and contests. Dino is the cutest mascot ever! Meet-up opportunities to connect with other teachers help make a global company feel a bit more local. And the students are so sweet and special. I never knew that students half a world away could capture my heart so thoroughly!

Cons

No bookings are guaranteed for new teachers. I don't actively recruit for this reason.

Advice to Management

Offer a 5-10 class guarantee so that every teacher has the same opportunity to succeed with VIPKID.

Dec 9, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

VIPKID really appreciates your kind words. We work hard every day to offer an even better environment to the amazing teachers in our platform!

4. "VIPKID teacher"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

Best side hustle! Work from home, don’t need to a hire a sitter for your own kids, work as much as little as you want, zero prep or stress.

Cons

Pay isn’t that great, in comparison to what you would make to tutor in NJ.

Dec 10, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

5. "VIPKID Teacher"

Former Employee - VIPKID Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - VIPKID Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at VIPKID full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, pick how much or little you want to work. Wonderful dedicated intelligent students who want to learn. Helping children build confidence. Connecting with people in a different country. Foe the most part like, the company tries to be hard and fair. They listen to feedback and offer many incentives and bonuses.

Cons

The popular teaching hours are brutal. You teach on Bejing time which is 13 hrs ahead. There's no insurance or benefits.

6. "Tutor"

I worked at VIPKID part-time

Pros

Great company. Schedule is acceptable

Cons

Scheduling can be tricky if you have other things going on.

Dec 2, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We are very glad that you’re having such a good time teaching with VIPKID!

7. "Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - ESL Tutor
    Current Employee - ESL Tutor

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great work environment, responsove management team

Cons

Early work hours depending on time zone and slow start (initially)

Dec 2, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

"Teacher"

I have been working at VIPKID full-time

Pros

The greatest advantage to working for VIPKID is that it is very flexible and you set your own hours. Most of the kids are very sweet to teach.

Cons

VIPKID has shockingly culturally- inappropriate curriculum. They recently started to integrate a diversity of people into their slides, but the culture lessons still consist of the following: “Chinese people live in apartments.” “Americans live in houses.” “Chinese people eat rice.” “American people eat bread.” This is just one example of the material that is really missing an opportunity to create a cross-cultural and non-stereotyping experience for both teachers and students.

Furthermore, the company is very strict and unfair in their policies for teachers. They rarely take the side of teachers, even when the parent is wrong and gives a poor rating. I have a 5 out of 5 star rating as a teacher and over 700 reviews, but VIPKID has never once taken my side when a parent has given me an unfair score.

Advice to Management

Be more culturally appropriate. Give more teacher support in a more meaningful way.

Nov 25, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for reaching out and communicating your experience with the VIPKID platform. We appreciate your feedback on areas for potential improvements or adjustments. Teachers on our platform are the... More

"Fair"

Pros

Easy pay once you get past the interview hurdles.

Cons

Their interview selection can be subjective

Jul 18, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

10. "great job"

Pros

loved working here! Great staff and management!

Cons

none. loved everything about the company.

Advice to Management

none

Jul 22, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

You’re pretty awesome too. Thanks!