VIPKID Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Perfect Job For Me"

Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY
    Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to do from home. No commute, no child care, no savvy business clothes, no commuting in the snow, and the best part is every day is "bring your cat to work day!" My cat, Bootsie, loves my job as much as I do! No kidding, I've had parents post reviews on my cat! The kids love it! Payment is once a month. I don't mind that because then it its a big check. You know what to expect and money is in the account on time. I love the children I teach. It is amazing how close you get to the family from the other side of the world!

Cons

You'll read that there is not enough work. I don't think that is accurate. I've been with VIPKID going on six months. My first contract is at an end. My first month I made $55.00. The next month I more than doubled that, and every month after has been going higher and higher. I am now teaching about five hours a day and making very good money for wearing pajama bottoms and an orange t-shirt. My monthly is in the four figure range. The thing is you have to give the parents a reason to schedule with you. Sitting around waiting for bookings to come is not good. You won't get far teaching only trial students; although, trial students become regular students and they will remember your smiling face. The trick to getting more bookings is to take advantages of their certifications in different areas. In November I got certified to do the major courses and my schedule is now completely and totally packed. I literally have a very full schedule, teaching around eleven classes a day. You hear a lot of complaints about missing classes. When you teach, even at a school, attendance is important. As far as online schools go, VIPKID is the most liberal. I could have worked with DaDaAbc and made a lot more money. Their attendance policy is HORRENDOUS! You are locked into a schedule that will not vary, cannot travel. I have two homes and I could only teach at one. My travel was stopped. VIPKID encourages their teachers to live a life. Its great stories for the kids. When I am at my place in Brooklyn, they are pretty amazed to see NYC. My students get to see a variety of things, which VIPKID was pretty smart to encourage their teachers to live a life.

Advice to Management

I have never had a problem with management. They encourage teachers to have "Meet Ups" and network. I'm going to my first one on Friday. Management offers advancement opportunities and the ability to get more certifications, which equates to more money. That is a good thing. The one negative thing you always hear about is the recruitment process. They now have meet ups in the big cities where prospective teachers can do face to face meetings. My experience was not bad, it wasn't easy either, but I held steady, went through the steps and started working. However, compared to the interview process I had with DaDaAbc (and that is a fine program too), VIPKID was a cake walk! Since you are dealing with an employer thousands of miles away, do you really think it would be flawless? I've seen positive changes since I've been here. I really love the management encourages their teachers to be silly! The other schools limit interaction and NO silliness. For a great work environment, I'm very ok with a little less in pay if I am happy, can travel, and interact with the kids. I like they use real teachers to do your evaluations. It all boils down to this: there are other schools out there that pay even more. To me, it is not worth the hassle. I've yet to find a person who got rich teaching, so happiness and job satisfaction should be your guiding principle, and I'm very happy where I am now.

Jan 4, 2018 – Program Manager

We are honored that you love using our platform! Thank you so much!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Potential teachers are put through a specific training for MOCK interviews to be hired.
    - VIPKID hires based on credentials(any bachelor degree) and teaching experience/ability (2 MOCK interviews).
    - Teachers once hired have optional workshops that are very applicable to becoming better equipped to teaching esl online.
    - VIPKID offers multiple incentives every month
    - teach from the comfort of your home
    - Perfect for stay-at-home parents
    - Work as many/ little hours per week as you need
    - take a vacation (let the company know how long)
    - take work with you on vacation! Portable classrooms are accepted!
    - Become friends with families and their student.
    - No out of pocket fee to set up your teaching classroom(everything is optional).
    - Get to use your teaching experience and gain English Second Language (ESL) experience
    - Potential students are fun, exciting, and prefer high energy/interactive classrooms!
    - Teachers are rated by parents after a class. The more high ratings(5 apples), the higher a chance more students will book your class. Most parents are nice!
    - 6 month contracts
    - 25 minute lessons
    - VIKPID prepares the lessons, grades homework, and everything a brick and mortar teacher is required to do.
    - As a teacher you teach a class( lesson slides available before the class to prepare) and leave feedback for parents.

Cons

- Time difference. Depending on where you live, you may be teaching in the early morning hours. Many teachers wake up between 2-6am to teach students that are ending their day and getting ready for bed.
    - Bad internet connection is VERY BAD!! VIPKID allows for 6 Teacher IT(internet connection, microphone, sound, visual-camera problems).
    - Your contract may not be renewed if more than 6 Teacher no-shows, IT problems, and/or cancellations.
    - Parents are the customer. In most cases, the customer is always right.
    - Teachers are rated by parents after a class. The more high ratings(5 apples), the higher a chance more students will book your class. Sometimes parents are hard to please. Once you receive a low apple rating, it will take many 5 apples to increase your average.

Oct 10, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments

3. "Great place to work for!"

Current Employee - Teacher in West Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in West Melbourne, FL

I have been working at VIPKID full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work when you want while still in your pajama bottoms :), great support from corporate and love the kids.

Cons

I don't see any cons at all!!

We are very glad that you’re having such a good time teaching with VIPKID!

4. "Love this company and the students!"

Current Employee - V Apple VIPKID Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - V Apple VIPKID Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been teaching for VIPKID for almost 3 years. It is an amazing opportunity. After all this time, I still get excited to see my students and meet new faces.

Pros? -Teach in you pjs
       -Company is always striving to improve and better their communication with teachers
    -Growth opportunities, including teaching full classes in their public school in China!
     -Compared to the time and work load of a public school teacher, VIPKID requires very little time invested once you get hired on. You teach a 25 minute lesson, leave less than 5 minutes of feedback, and your done! The rest is optional but makes the job more fun and helps you get more bookings! (teacher meet-ups, workshops.)

This company is wonderful and really cares about their teachers. They are been around for 5 years and they have big plans for the future!

Cons

-Not many but number one downfall for most teachers is the pay. While the hourly pay is great (around $20 an hr but self-employment taxes) about a year ago they changed the raise policy. It's nearly impossible to get a raise so just know that your starting pay will not likely change, even 3 years later.

-Another con for some might be the hours as China is 12 hours ahead of the USA but the early hours work best for me since I am a stay-at-home mom.

Advice to Management

Bring back the realistic raises and give us a clear way to track our progress for raises. Listen to your teacher's cries. The topic comes up often. I am a 5 apple teacher with over 700 excellent reviews, almost 3 years in, certified in almost every level and extra courses, teach 40 classes a week including at least 20 in the PPT times, and more but I have never gotten a raise. Three years in and still making the same pay as teachers starting out.

There is so much to love about this amazing company. You have brought the joy of teaching back in my life and helped me support my family. Thank you. Thank you Cindy Mi. I hope to be teaching with VIIPKID forever but I sure hope I am not making $8 a class forever.

Oct 21, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! VIPKID will definitely take it into consideration.

5. "Got in on the ground floor, has it's pros and cons"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Sun Prairie, WI
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Sun Prairie, WI

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Decent pay (Especially if traveling/not living in US)
    Fairly good support

Cons

I got in early into the companies growth so I was "featured" and gained a lot of followers. I have heard that it can be really hard to get going and find students.

Oct 21, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

VIPKID really appreciates your kind words. We work hard every day to offer an even better environment to the amazing teachers in our platform!

"VIPKID ESL Teacher."

Current Employee - ESL Teacher
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great stay at home job for stay at home teachers, homeschool teachers, B&M teacher, and retired teachers. There is no minimum amount of classes needed to teach but to get a raise you must teach 1200 classes in a year (11 months for the first year)

Cons

You must treat this new job as a new business and know that it take time to built up. Usually 1-3 months to get your first booking and then it make take 5-10 months to full your complete schedule. You need to be patience at the beginning.

Advice to Management

Be up front about bookings.

Oct 10, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

7. "ESL Teacher"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Baraboo, WI
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Baraboo, WI

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely LOVE this job. The hours are flexible, the students are fun to teach, and the pay is good. The company is very organized and easy to work for. They care about their teachers and help you to see you are a part of something important.

Cons

none at this time, It is great!

Oct 14, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

"teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, easy teaching platform. Lots of incentives. Online forum is run well.

Cons

I think they have over hired. I have worked there for over 2 years and suddenly my bookings have all but evaporated. I think perhaps they hired new teachers at a lower rate and now they are booking them more often to save money. (I've read this in a couple of chat rooms) Seems all the teachers that have worked there for more than a year are loosing their students. FYI: my rate was $21 an hour.

Advice to Management

I think word is going to get out that you only book new teachers now, and you will loose a lot of teaches to your competitors.

Aug 22, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for reaching out and communicating your experience with the VIPKID platform. As always, we really do appreciate your feedback on areas for potential improvements or adjustments. Teachers... More

"Good Extra Money"

Pros

Easy to schedule and pays well. The kids are awesome.

Cons

They are not always understanding of emergencies.

10. "ESL Teacher"

I have been working at VIPKID full-time

Pros

Choose my own hours. Great support and timely pay. I love this company.

Cons

No benefits. Solitary work (students are great, but no real coworker interaction).

Showing 553 of 1,069 reviews