VIPKID Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Perfect Job For Me"

Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY
    Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to do from home. No commute, no child care, no savvy business clothes, no commuting in the snow, and the best part is every day is "bring your cat to work day!" My cat, Bootsie, loves my job as much as I do! No kidding, I've had parents post reviews on my cat! The kids love it! Payment is once a month. I don't mind that because then it its a big check. You know what to expect and money is in the account on time. I love the children I teach. It is amazing how close you get to the family from the other side of the world!

Cons

You'll read that there is not enough work. I don't think that is accurate. I've been with VIPKID going on six months. My first contract is at an end. My first month I made $55.00. The next month I more than doubled that, and every month after has been going higher and higher. I am now teaching about five hours a day and making very good money for wearing pajama bottoms and an orange t-shirt. My monthly is in the four figure range. The thing is you have to give the parents a reason to schedule with you. Sitting around waiting for bookings to come is not good. You won't get far teaching only trial students; although, trial students become regular students and they will remember your smiling face. The trick to getting more bookings is to take advantages of their certifications in different areas. In November I got certified to do the major courses and my schedule is now completely and totally packed. I literally have a very full schedule, teaching around eleven classes a day. You hear a lot of complaints about missing classes. When you teach, even at a school, attendance is important. As far as online schools go, VIPKID is the most liberal. I could have worked with DaDaAbc and made a lot more money. Their attendance policy is HORRENDOUS! You are locked into a schedule that will not vary, cannot travel. I have two homes and I could only teach at one. My travel was stopped. VIPKID encourages their teachers to live a life. Its great stories for the kids. When I am at my place in Brooklyn, they are pretty amazed to see NYC. My students get to see a variety of things, which VIPKID was pretty smart to encourage their teachers to live a life.

Advice to Management

I have never had a problem with management. They encourage teachers to have "Meet Ups" and network. I'm going to my first one on Friday. Management offers advancement opportunities and the ability to get more certifications, which equates to more money. That is a good thing. The one negative thing you always hear about is the recruitment process. They now have meet ups in the big cities where prospective teachers can do face to face meetings. My experience was not bad, it wasn't easy either, but I held steady, went through the steps and started working. However, compared to the interview process I had with DaDaAbc (and that is a fine program too), VIPKID was a cake walk! Since you are dealing with an employer thousands of miles away, do you really think it would be flawless? I've seen positive changes since I've been here. I really love the management encourages their teachers to be silly! The other schools limit interaction and NO silliness. For a great work environment, I'm very ok with a little less in pay if I am happy, can travel, and interact with the kids. I like they use real teachers to do your evaluations. It all boils down to this: there are other schools out there that pay even more. To me, it is not worth the hassle. I've yet to find a person who got rich teaching, so happiness and job satisfaction should be your guiding principle, and I'm very happy where I am now.

Jan 4, 2018 – Program Manager

2. "Fun Job"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

It’s great you can make your own schedule.

Cons

The hours can be difficult.

Aug 9, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

3. "Great company"

Pros

Flexibility, pay, working with the kids

Cons

None that I can think of

Aug 17, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

"Contract renewal"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Richmond, IN
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Richmond, IN

I worked at VIPKID (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an awesome opportunity for teaching one-on-one. You build lasting relationships with your students.

Cons

Upon contract review, it was determined I had too many cancellations and it "poorly affected the students". How could this be possible? I provided ample documentation for each absence. I was a 5 apple teacher (I never received less than top reviews) with amazing parent feedback. When I asked for clarification as to how I poorly affected the students, the company could not provide reasoning. This was very discouraging because I had built a longstanding relationship with my students and families.

Advice to Management

If you are not going to renew a contract, please provide specific reasons. Blanket statements about affecting the students without examples does not clarify or give proper reasoning.

Aug 17, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We emphasize that we are sorry to hear of some of the negative points that you touched upon in your post but have been very glad to receive the feedback. We would relish the opportunity to discuss... More

5. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, make your own schedule, no minimum or maximum hours so you truly decide how often you work. Great kids, cultural learning experience.

Cons

No benefits due to status as a contractor

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Aug 17, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We are very glad that you’re having such a good time teaching with VIPKID!

"A Great Work from Home Opportuniy"

Current Employee - Teacher in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at VIPKID full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, work when you want. The kids are great, and the community of teachers is wonderful

Cons

No benefits, but that's the downfall of being an independent contractor

Advice to Management

Perhaps consider paying your teachers more since other companies have similar pay for those without bachelor's degrees.

Aug 9, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

7. "ESL Teacher"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

Great Company to work for. The kids are great.

Cons

None I can think of.

"VIPKID teacher"

Current Employee - VIPKID Teacher
    Current Employee - VIPKID Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros: 1) I get to stay at home with my kids and I get to wear my PJ pants and my work shirt on top. I really only teach in the early mornings so it doesn’t interfere with my family time. 2) This job is very rewarding and I get to teach the most adorable kids half way around the world. I have gotten to know some amazing families that I would never had met if it wasn’t for VIPKID. 3) VIPKID has been very professional and supportive when I have a question or a concern to address. 4)The extra money I make is good 💴

🌟 There are around 60k teachers teaching for VIPKID. Everyone’s experience is different. Some do this full time, and others (like myself) do it part time. Some people started teaching the day they got hired. Others (like myself) took longer. I have been with VIPKID for 6 months and have loved every minute of it. For me, the pros outweigh the cons. 😊

Cons

Cons: 1) I wake up at 4/ 4:30 CST to teach... so loads of ☕️ coffee is necessary. (I typically teach 2-3 classes a day so I end around 6-6:30am) 2) I did not get an actual class until day 35. Honestly I was okay with that because I just attended workshops and tried to get acclimated with their platform. 3) They are based in China. So when you have a question for them; it typically takes them 12-24 hours to reply. 4) They do not withhold taxes. So you need to make sure you set aside the money.

Advice to Management

One thing I admire about VIPKID is your ability to listen to the teacher’s feedback and assess the way to handle the situation properly. Thank you for always asking for our feedback about the lessons and the platform. I feel honored to teach and serve these precious children on the other side of the globe.

Aug 8, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

VIPKID smiles too because you guys rock! Thanks for sticking with us through our rapid growth!

"Love this job"

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

I really enjoy the students. The pay for part-time is good. The firemen do work to help get things done in the classroom.

Cons

If you have IT problems you can be released. If you have emergencies come up and need to cancel class you are penalized.

Advice to Management

Please be more flexible with cancellations. Why can't there be a place to say that you need a sub and a substitute can pick it up. Can we have a place to message parents and ask them to reschedule?

Jun 12, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

10. "Awesome"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID part-time

Pros

Good company! Awesome part-time job.

Cons

Summer low bookings, never get fully booked.

Advice to Management

Too many teachers

Aug 8, 2018 – Social Media Specialist