VIPKID Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
VIPKID Co-Founder and CEO Cindy Mi
Cindy Mi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "This job allows you to work from home and create your own schedule as needed" (in 287 reviews)

• "Easy training process, fun curriculum, no lesson planning, great support from HQ, easy to teach, great pay" (in 52 reviews)

Cons

1. "Amazing Job for Expats!"

Current Contractor - English As A Second Language Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - English As A Second Language Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at VIPKID as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Teach and work from anywhere in the wold.

Cons

The early morning hours are tough some times when living in North America.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunity for dedicated teachers to obtain other roles with the company.

Apr 25, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

"Perfect Job For Me"

Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY
    Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to do from home. No commute, no child care, no savvy business clothes, no commuting in the snow, and the best part is every day is "bring your cat to work day!" My cat, Bootsie, loves my job as much as I do! No kidding, I've had parents post reviews on my cat! The kids love it! Payment is once a month. I don't mind that because then it its a big check. You know what to expect and money is in the account on time. I love the children I teach. It is amazing how close you get to the family from the other side of the world!

Cons

You'll read that there is not enough work. I don't think that is accurate. I've been with VIPKID going on six months. My first contract is at an end. My first month I made $55.00. The next month I more than doubled that, and every month after has been going higher and higher. I am now teaching about five hours a day and making very good money for wearing pajama bottoms and an orange t-shirt. My monthly is in the four figure range. The thing is you have to give the parents a reason to schedule with you. Sitting around waiting for bookings to come is not good. You won't get far teaching only trial students; although, trial students become regular students and they will remember your smiling face. The trick to getting more bookings is to take advantages of their certifications in different areas. In November I got certified to do the major courses and my schedule is now completely and totally packed. I literally have a very full schedule, teaching around eleven classes a day. You hear a lot of complaints about missing classes. When you teach, even at a school, attendance is important. As far as online schools go, VIPKID is the most liberal. I could have worked with DaDaAbc and made a lot more money. Their attendance policy is HORRENDOUS! You are locked into a schedule that will not vary, cannot travel. I have two homes and I could only teach at one. My travel was stopped. VIPKID encourages their teachers to live a life. Its great stories for the kids. When I am at my place in Brooklyn, they are pretty amazed to see NYC. My students get to see a variety of things, which VIPKID was pretty smart to encourage their teachers to live a life.

Advice to Management

I have never had a problem with management. They encourage teachers to have "Meet Ups" and network. I'm going to my first one on Friday. Management offers advancement opportunities and the ability to get more certifications, which equates to more money. That is a good thing. The one negative thing you always hear about is the recruitment process. They now have meet ups in the big cities where prospective teachers can do face to face meetings. My experience was not bad, it wasn't easy either, but I held steady, went through the steps and started working. However, compared to the interview process I had with DaDaAbc (and that is a fine program too), VIPKID was a cake walk! Since you are dealing with an employer thousands of miles away, do you really think it would be flawless? I've seen positive changes since I've been here. I really love the management encourages their teachers to be silly! The other schools limit interaction and NO silliness. For a great work environment, I'm very ok with a little less in pay if I am happy, can travel, and interact with the kids. I like they use real teachers to do your evaluations. It all boils down to this: there are other schools out there that pay even more. To me, it is not worth the hassle. I've yet to find a person who got rich teaching, so happiness and job satisfaction should be your guiding principle, and I'm very happy where I am now.

Jan 4, 2018 – Program Manager

"The Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - English Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - English Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working for VIPKID because:

- I get to choose my own schedule
    - I have the flexibility to work from anywhere in the world
    - I get to make an everlasting impact on students, ages 5-12 in China

Cons

The "hot hours" on the West Coast, USA can be challenging to coordinate with day-to-day schedules as the hours are really early in the morning or pretty late at night.

Advice to Management

Keep doin what you're doin!

Jan 18, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

We are honored that you love using our platform! Thank you so much!

4. "Great option for SAHM"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher
    Current Contractor - ESL Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, high pay, fun

Cons

Weird Working hours in early mornings and nights

Apr 24, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

5. "The best job I've ever had"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VIPKID as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I can be a stay at home mom and still bring in income. I work full time so my pay is equivalent to an American's teacher salary. No commute, no obnoxious teacher meetings and coworkers, no homework to grade, lesson plans are provided and it takes me a few minutes to prepare for a class, great kids and a fun environment.

Cons

I work on Pacific Coast Time so the hours are brutal. (I'm waking up at 2 am). East Coast teachers have it much easier. But honestly, this isn't even a con. I work while my kids are asleep so no babysitter. I am also done with my day before most traditional classroom teachers are even wake up. I'd rather wake up at 2 am and be done by 7am then to ever wake up at 7am and step into a classroom by 8. Nope! Love this job! Really, there are no cons.

Advice to Management

None. We are independent contractors and I like the freedom you give us to call the shots and teach in our own style. Other teachers on here complaining about lack of communication? That's ridiculous. I do not need daily pep talks or constant communication. Your weekly updates are more than enough and your Hutong and Official VipKid Facebook page are huge sources of information. Thank you!

Apr 24, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

6. "Fun & Flexible Time"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at VIPKID as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Set your own hours. No minimum amount of hours required. Work from home. Great training and mentorship program.

Cons

Fairly strict cancellation policy.

Advice to Management

Appreciate all the changes and improvements in the last 2 years. Keep up the great work! We appreciate it!

Apr 16, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

VIPKID smiles too because you guys rock! Thanks for sticking with us through our rapid growth!

7. "Finally a job I love"

Current Contractor - Teacher in Roseville, CA
    Current Contractor - Teacher in Roseville, CA

I have been working at VIPKID as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pick my own hours, decent pay, work from home, good support team ready to help

Cons

Limited hours available during the day for PST based teachers, curriculum and portal changes without informing the teachers.

Advice to Management

I really like this job. I would like more opportunities to work in countries outside Asia. Somewhere that has a block of time more in alignment with US time

Apr 16, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

8. "Convenient and fun"

Current Freelancer - English Teacher
    Current Freelancer - English Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule, the kids are very sweet, no lesson planning or development necessary, good pay

Cons

It’s hard to get a raise

Apr 14, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

We feel privileged to have you!

9. "Perfect for me"

Current Contractor - Teacher
    Current Contractor - Teacher

I have been working at VIPKID as a contractor

Pros

Make your own hours, fun job, high salary

Cons

Early mornings, no control over if you are booked or not

Advice to Management

They work very hard to make us happy. I have no advice!

Apr 14, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

We are very glad that you’re having such a good time teaching with VIPKID!

10. "VIPKID"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Bangor, ME
    Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Bangor, ME

I have been working at VIPKID as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -No minimum hour requirement
    -Can work from anywhere with WiFi connection
    -Friendly parents/students

Cons

-Lessons can get repetitive, but as long as you keep it interesting, you won't get bored

Apr 14, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!