VITAS Healthcare Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

2.5
Nick Westfall
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Patients and families always come first (in 43 reviews)

• Vitas has incredible history in the end-of-life and hospice and the healthcare industry (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management more worried about the all mighty (in 28 reviews)

• The office doesn't answer the phone for field staff very often so that leaves the (in 24 reviews)

1. "RN Case Manager"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love caring for home bound patients.

Cons

Do not like current work location.

"Dying = big business"

Former Employee - Chaplain in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Chaplain in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

caring co-workers, decent PTO, fulfilling work

Cons

low morale, high turnover, RNs and CNAs are incredibly stressed and overworked

Advice to Management

Honestly, when you make a big business out of end of life services, there's no winning. Nurses, chaplains, social workers and CNAs are held to ridiculous quotas, though when those quotas are not met, there are rarely repercussions. That's probably because turnover is so high, they can rarely afford lose anyone by firing them. Also, I know for a fact that CNAs on my former team hadn't gotten raises in YEARS. They make so little money already and work harder than almost anyone, and get no recognition.

This is hard, emotionally draining work. Show your employees that you appreciate them.

"RN Case manager"

Former Employee - Hospice Nurse Case Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Hospice Nurse Case Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at VITAS Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

Good training to support new career.

Cons

Didn't support employee when it was needed most.

Advice to Management

Support employees who are dedicated team players that want a future with company.

"RN Hospice Runner"

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy, trust in the medical team that I worked with and mileage reimbursement. Always felt like that my voice was being heard with regards to patient care/safety and advocacy. Triage team was phenomenal and worked very closely with the runners. Room for advancement was available.

Cons

High turn over rate with upper management which lead to fear of the unknown. Never quite able to get a handle of communication between the on call staff and regular staff. Some redundancy but was perfectly manageable. Regular politics regarding staff to staff interaction. No pay raises for over two years.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns about turn over and let them know what the bottom line is. Mystery leads to movement out of the company.

"A wonderful life lesson shared with families patients and coworkers who become your friends and family"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Entering a type of Nursing in your early fifties after doing Hospital Med/Surg, OB, Geriatrics, Psych and also twenty years of experience in both Nursing Homes and Retirement Villages is daunting. Nurses are taught to help you heal bot help you die. My experience here taught me death is just another part of life just like adolescence, childbirth, menopause it is the inevitability we all face but its a mystery and therefore shrouded in fear.

Cons

A place which should be such a comforting atmosphere foe end of life care fraught with an uncaring management which focuses more on for profit and less on family and patient needs. Nurses work constantly understaffed where only three holidays are recognized a year and you must work two of the three and are begged to work the third but not with holiday pay. Staff is hurt physically for lack of help with bariatric patients as well as combative end of life patients that require more than a two person staff on an IPU. Morale is low and often non existent as an exhausted nursing "team" is overworked with no hopes of a raise and you receive a letter thanking you for forfeiting a pay increase to help the company make payroll. They keep evaluation ratings low so as not to have you merit a cost of living annual increase and the managers are not supportive and berate rather than encouraging. Despite this nurses continue to give excellent care as much as their tired bodies will allow.

Advice to Management

Where is your humanity? While you take annual trips to Florida paying to put managers up at hotels for a week of conferences for individuals who receive large bonuses for keeping their IPU's budgets low by understaffing and cutting back on supplies forcing nurses to supply their own bathing and personal hygiene toiletries which they purchase on their own Bring in CNA's and adequate staff to accommodate the needs of the dying patient population who are your clients entrusted to your care.

"Profit driven and unethical, management is retaliatory to employees who don't always agree, or God forbid use PTO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Families benefit from the services provided, the field nurses and HHA are compassionate as well as the staff in the inpatient units.

Cons

Motto is sign every referral, worry about appropriate for hospice later. Literally walked into the hospital as patient expired and when I reported the death to my manager both her and the Rep showed no compassion and had the audacity to ask me if I had the family sign consents before the patient expired! Unbelievable....why do they want consents if no services provided...hmmm Maybe Medicare should look into that

Advice to Management

Stop hiring inadequate personnel for management positions, or people to manage others in a position he/she never worked, therefore gives wrong information to employees then penalizes the employee....also hire people who actually have compassion for human beings