VITAS Healthcare 407 Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nick Westfall

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management more worried about the all mighty (in 27 reviews)

• The office doesn't answer the phone for field staff very often so that leaves the (in 23 reviews)

1. "Field Nurse"

Former Employee - Field Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Field Nurse in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VITAS Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The most genuine, real, and caring people that I have worked with!

Cons

At this writing, no EHR, so all charting by hand. Quite Exhausting!

Advice to Management

Instead of putting patients and their families first, they should put the nurses First! They are they life blood of the agency, as they do the work an put the agency at the pinnacle they are at Today! They are "Vitas!" They are the "Life," of the agency!

"Most of my coworkers really care about the patients. The patients and families really do come first."

Current Employee - Hospice Admission RN in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Hospice Admission RN in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The satisfaction of helping those in need and knowing you made a difference. I love knowing my coworkers have the passion that I have.

Cons

Management pushing for numbers for bonus checks, crap insurance and benefit package. The harder you work, the harder management pushes, no thank you, no anything.

Advice to Management

Be less about your wallet and be more generous to those working for you. Making us use PTO for holidays? Seriously??

"Work non stop"

Pros

Because of the care and the importance of the families getting this special time with their loved one and the frequent visits from the loving/caring team. They are amazing

Cons

Wouldn't recommend to anyone- so corp - keep in mind these people are facing eternity and need compassion for this reality at this difficult time- need to love them and their families as if it were your own.

Advice to Management

Don't keep adding work and remember that pts and families come first not corp

"CNA"

Former Employee - CNA in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - CNA in Miami, FL

I worked at VITAS Healthcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow and work in different areas

Cons

Some of the nurse managers were really rude

"HHA"

Current Employee - CNA/HHA in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - CNA/HHA in Naples, FL

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love working for Vitas and taking care of patients on hospice. The work is busy and patients are wonderful .

Cons

The management can be rude to you. Treat you like an animal . Speak down to you that you don't do good work.

Advice to Management

New manager speak terrible to us. She makes you not want to go to work everyday. Have to not answer my phone from her . Never tells you hello and tell you what you do wrong . Not a good way to work for me. New manager is not a good person . Want to find a new job.

"Knows this business"

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare part-time

Pros

Flexible and cares about staff

Cons

Needs to get supplies to pt homes by drop ship method. Too much paperwork when there is a mandate for electronic records.

"It's ok"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some flexibility with days and working around school schedule.

Cons

Some favoritism noted in some places within the continuous care department.

9. "Executive Secretary"

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time

Pros

I've worked for this company for only a few years. I love working for this company. I feel like I found a place where I can learn, grow and have the support I have been looking for in a company. I have amazing mentors who are always there for me. Because of that, I have pushed myself even harder to get to where I want to be career wise. You gotta have the drive and want it!

Cons

insurance is a bit high

Advice to Management

Support and encourage your staff and they will work even harder for you!

"RN case manager"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, lots of pto, field staff usually works together and has each others back because the office sure doesn't.

Cons

Minimal office support, Vitas works their field staff to death, minimal pay raises, upper management is out of touch with what happening in the field, penny pinching, it's all about the money nowadays, admitting people that don't qualify for services. Way too much paperwork, it's supposed to be electronic now and Vitas is still using paper charting, it takes up way too much time. The frustration of the office adding more forms to create duplicate charting and more admits, it gets to be overwhelming and they don't get it. The office doesn't get it because they are in the office. The office doesn't answer the phone for field staff very often so that leaves the field staff hanging but if the office wants to talk to you, they will blow up your phone till you answer. The insurance is a whole other story, it's ridiculously expensive and is a joke anyway, it's catastrophic coverage, useless for routine care. The words on the back of the badges are just that, words. We do not take care of each other.

Advice to Management

Come ride along for more than a day with the field staff and pay attention, offer better raises than 0.02% , support the field staff! Get rid of the incompetent staff instead of moving that person around, Vitas doesn't fire anyone, no matter how much of a liability that person is. Taker care of your employees, offer better insurance. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of this company. Pay attention!

"It wasn't the ideal job as expected!"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Miramar, FL

I worked at VITAS Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The starting salary was great! The Nurses and Admissions Coordinators were very friendly.

Cons

The office culture for lack of better terms was dead. There wasn't a lot of creativity to help boost the employee morale. The management team were not open to suggestions, they were all about the "Do as I say" approach. The health care insurance were VERY high, especially considering this is a company in the Health care field. Insurance Biweekly deductions for Employee only is $60; Employee & Child(ren) is $163.85; Employee & Spouse is $191.54 - with $2,500 deductible in network and $5,00 for All Others. That is an unexpectedly high rate!

Advice to Management

Please review the Cons and work on it!