VMC Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 2, 2017

1.0
Juliana Su

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very lax work environment, nearly no punishment for violating company policies (in 6 reviews)

• Nice people, good environment and flexible hours (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management changed frequently (in 12 reviews)

• Competitive work environment as the company only hires a limited number of full-time employees (in 6 reviews)

1. "Just don’t"

Former Employee - Player Support Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Player Support Specialist in Redmond, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You might work for major game companies like Riot Games, Microsoft, Bethesda, and Nintendo to name a few.

There are no other pros to working here, but I have to add more words.

Cons

Their campus is old and falling apart. They offer you no benefits whatsoever. Nothing. Everything is contracted, so your contracted employer has the added benefit of being hands off for everything but managing what you do day to day. So if you have a problem, they call the shots, but its actually VMC you deal with. There’s no employee assistance program. On multiple occasions I expressed to my managers that I was struggling with personal issues. It was affecting my work life, my personal life. I asked for HR or EAP. No HR manager was available, and there was no reference or assistance they could provide.

The contracted positions often mention salaries between 40K and 60K a year. Don’t be fooled, this is entry level call center stuff. You’ll get $14 an hour with like 4 days off a year. They do the absolute bare minimum to make their margins as profitable in their contract agreements as possible.

My contract employer disclosed to us that they originally wanted to provide us with $18 an hour, until the negotiations were complete and they discovered VMC sets a limitation to the salary that can be offered to entry level employees and contracted employees.

Advice to Management

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal not to have HR services available to your employees. Also, if they’re contracted, don’t treat them like they’re literal garbage to you.

"Needs Management Overhaul. Again"

Current Employee - Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A paycheck. Decent work/life balance.

Cons

Management. Benefits are terrible, salary is low, morale is low, new management doesn't have a background in games or QA. Not enough space to list all of the cons.

Advice to Management

You haven't made any significant improvements since you took the reigns.

3. "Advisor"

Pros

You start early you get out early.

Cons

Way too much information is given in a very short period of time for testing. Also I feel like we should have practice test with each other let people hear other people on the phone that have been working there for quite some time.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to try to formulate a program where while in training they can listen to each other practice calls on not real people but do practice calls then look through the ilog

4. "Support Agent"

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time

Pros

Secure building that focuses on team and culture.

Cons

Contracted position. Poor management and pay. Would not recommend working at VMC.

"Do not work here ! you will be fired."

Former Employee - Dedicated Tier II SharePoint in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Dedicated Tier II SharePoint in Fargo, ND

Pros

NONE! there are no pros !

Cons

There are no benefits in the fargo office. SharePoint is who you will be working for. The managers on that team are two faced. The training is a joke, you arent showed how to fix or troubleshoot anything. The only thing you are trained on is policy and procedures. Ive been in the IT field my entire working career. I am now jobless after several months because of this place.

The managers might be nice to you at first, but after a couple months they treat you differently. Good luck with getting help from anyone, you wont get it. theres only a couple people you can actually get help from and they are to busy helping a manager or doing some other team lead task.

you will also be written up if your customer becomes upset, or your email isnt formatted in a special way, or if they dont like the format.

you practically get written up for everything you do. you cant even take days off because the management team doesnt let you take days off. i worked there for almost a year and i only got 2 days off that i asked for. i worked every single holiday and it was horrible.

the overnight shift is the worst. there are only about 3 or 4 people the entire night and you will be overloaded with 20+ cases.

the before i got fired, i got my last written warning and management told me that they were going to give me a "clean slate". the very next day i was called to the office and they fired me.

i repeat, do not take employment here!!! If you are looking for a new job and still have your current job, i promise its not as bad as this place is !!

I left my previous job because of all the "good news" i heard from the management in my interview. now i cant go back to my old job because they needed me to start immediately.

well they reason they need you to start immediately is because they are constantly firing people.

That doesnt even cover how bad the customers are. if you are not a programmer, you are in for a world of hurt. you will end up talking to software developers and you wont have a clue what to talk to them about. they treat you like garbage as well, most of the customers do.

oh and dont even think that when your shift ends that it means you get to go home. if you have 20 cases in your list and its time to go home, guess what LOL !! you have to stay and finish hitting all of your cases.

Heres the kicker, if you accrue overtime with a high caseload, management starts to yell at you for having overtime. i got yelled at because i had overtime and i was threatened to be wrote up if i continued to have overtime.

theres a team lead there that has shortman syndrome, he will belittle you and treat you worse than scum and give you a verbal whipping in the back.

also you cant even trust your own co-workers. I had co-workers point out things they didnt agree with in my emails, such as the way it was formatted. it lead to written warnings.

Advice to Management

fire the management. get management that actually cares about its employees.

"Not the best - not even close!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at VMC Consulting as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay chech to pay check living!

Cons

Micro management, low pay, bad culture

Advice to Management

If you like to keep your employees, keep them happy!

7. "Great Ambition, but lack of direction"

I worked at VMC Consulting as a contractor

Pros

Easy to find open positions

Cons

No clear strategic direction as a company and focus on business growth

8. "Horrible management"

Former Employee - Area Rental Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Area Rental Manager in Wichita, KS

Pros

Good customer base good office staff

Cons

Owner is a micro manager

Advice to Management

Hire staff so he can stop causing a hostile working environment

"No conversions, bait and switch"

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time

Pros

They have repetitive contracts and a long standing relationship with Microsoft for myriad projects and groups. If you are an A-grade talent not getting the opportunity to show your stuff at MSFT, this may be a useful way in

Cons

Too many to list. They pay far below industry standard and bid for functionary jobs that are blown up inasfar as responsibilities go. VMC hires you through Volt and promises conversion to full time VMC (meaning, you'd get benefits) within six months and almost all jobs are advertised as C2H which are all lies. When pressed about conversion or actual chances of being converted, your VMC management gets short with you and tells you not to discuss it any more. Most insultingly, it is corporate policy to never disclose your Bill Rate to you, as an employee. The most telling sign that you are working for a bush-league firm is refusal to be transparent about the profits you are generating for the company. No respectable Consulting firm witholds their CFW's bill rate as it becomes a significant portion of their Annual Review, STI and LTIs.

Advice to Management

Your attrition problem stems from systemic hiring practices. Stop underbidding and going for C or D grade positions. Start offering real health care and other benefits. Be fully transparent with candidates about Bill and Take Home rates and fire any PM or Recruiter that states positions are C2H when there is no chance they are.

"Only good as a stepping stone, not a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good projects, if you're lucky. Ability to learn a lot. Pay is better than that of a sweatshop.

Cons

Pay below Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing etc.. No stability. Constant turnover. Too many empty spaces. High insurance premium if eligible for benefits.

Advice to Management

Sell.