VMC Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Juliana Su

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management changed frequently (in 12 reviews)

• Competitive work environment as the company only hires a limited number of full-time employees (in 5 reviews)

1. "Horrible management"

Former Employee - Area Rental Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Area Rental Manager in Wichita, KS

Pros

Good customer base good office staff

Cons

Owner is a micro manager

Advice to Management

Hire staff so he can stop causing a hostile working environment

2. "Only good as a stepping stone, not a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good projects, if you're lucky. Ability to learn a lot. Pay is better than that of a sweatshop.

Cons

Pay below Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing etc.. No stability. Constant turnover. Too many empty spaces. High insurance premium if eligible for benefits.

Advice to Management

Sell.

3. "If you're a good employee, you will be overlooked and belittled"

Current Employee - Chemist II in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Chemist II in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I don't really have very many good things to say about this company.

Cons

During my first month there, a woman in upper level management asked me what high school I went to when I am pretty sure that you need at least a Bachelor's to work in a lab setting. Then again, I only applied to and acquired the job. She had a complete disconnect with her employees, and it showed.

We were told from day 1 that we would be converted to the main contracting company (VMC) after 6 months. We asked our team lead, who asked our project manager, who asked the incompetent woman in upper management when we would be able to start the conversion paperwork. 18 months after starting there, I was finally able to start conversion paperwork. We were told by this woman that conversion was being held back because they had just let a few people go on another project. That makes no business sense whatsoever. The only correspondence we received from this woman were generic emails that barely pertained to current situations. Our project manager told us that he was continually playing phone and email tag with her because she seemed to be incapable of communicating. Before our conversion, this idiotic woman pushed for us to get our raise from the contracting company before the conversion. Then, after the conversion we were pushed back to our original pay grade and told "sorry, there's nothing we can do." We were told we'd have to wait months AGAIN to be able to have any vacation and personal days after building them up for 18 months.

Don't even ask them to fire an employee who deserves it. 2 of my coworkers had been at the job for a few years. 1 guy was working at a different location and threatened to quit unless they transferred him to our location. Not a single person on my team (this was before I was here) wanted this guy to work with them. He didn't have very good references. However, the team was told that they had to take him or he would quit. Their opinion didn't seem to matter at all. This guy would get paid to sit on his butt and play video games on his laptop! We complained for months before management finally said that employees were not allowed to bring in laptops. That's it. No push to contribute just "Don't bring in personal laptops." He eventually got himself fired.

Another employee had been on our project for about 5 years. When I arrived about 2 years ago, he had clearly lost interest in the job. We work a standard 40 hour week, but this guy would do about 8 hours of work a week. That was during a good week. He was asked many, many times to step it up or he would be fired. However, in order to fire him, there were multiple, idiotic steps that they needed to take to fire him. We kept data for about 6 months proving that he did less than 5% of the work on a 6 person team. 6 months and ZERO PROGRESS was made. We just kept getting told to wait. That's all they do. They make you wait. And in the end, you get nothing worthwhile.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. People don't enjoy working for companies that belittle and outright ignore them and their opinions.

5. "Worst place I have worked."

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours other than that nothing.

Cons

crappy place with crappy management. VMC is another IT body shopping company. one of the worst place I have ever worked.

6. "BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at VMC Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

OT is available sometimes sometimes!

Cons

low pay meaningless policy and procedure that is chosen to only follow for a few
    not about a client or customer it is about the almighty dollar
    no room for growth no real management

Advice to Management

look at the employee experience with your organization

"Poor Upper Management"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Fargo, ND

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Underground parking for management and that is it, no power, trust or confidence in team managers, daily verbal abuse and bogus written warnings from upper management when goals aren't met.

Cons

Upper Management treats Team Managers like children, they rob Peter to pay Paul, taking engineers from one team to another and then when shorted team doesn't do well they blame the team managers. Lots of layoffs and they don't convert Volt Vendors to FTE'S - offering them absolutely no benefits. 3 teams went back to Microsoft in the last 3 months due to no confidence in leadership. Team Managers are replaced bi-annually as they take the blame for poor upper management decisions.

Advice to Management

Replace stagnant upper management with real leaders in innovation that employees will follow. Convert contingent staff to permanent after 3 months of good service.

"This place is horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part is that you will not miss anything when you leave.

Cons

- Horrible delivery leadership that doesn't value employees.
    - Race to the bottom mentality in everything
    - Leadership can't make decisions on anything, 9 month process to get 15 year anniversary gift to employees which was cancelled in the end.

Advice to Management

Leave and let the VIS pick anyone, they are most likely better than you are.

"Even Executive Managers can't stand working here for more than 1 year."

Former Employee - Sales in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Redmond, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility...work from anywhere you want.

Cons

Ask anyone who works here...cons are everything about the company and the management team.

Advice to Management

Figure out what the hell your doing for a change.

"A job not a career"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer STE3 in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer STE3 in Redmond, WA

Pros

Good leads, project managers. Some of them actually care about their directs.

Cons

Upper management will try to suck out your soul

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people. Offer niceties such as pay raises and good benefits.

"Discriminatory, toxic management, falsifies accounting records"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at VMC Consulting (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing pro with this company

Cons

Retaliation, discrimination is SOP, Management enjoys the theory X style of pain to subordinates is most effective motivation

Advice to Management

STOP being homophobic, racist and anti Latino and Native American, STOP telling lies!!!!