VMC Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

VMC Consulting Reviews

Updated May 4, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Juliana Su

Pros
  • Very lax work environment, nearly no punishment for violating company policies (in 6 reviews)

• nice people, co-workers from all of the world (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management changed frequently (in 12 reviews)

• Competitive work environment as the company only hires a limited number of full-time employees (in 5 reviews)

1. "It was alright. Meh."

Former Employee - Senior Social Media Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Social Media Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Not a ton of interference with the job I was doing at Microsoft.

Cons

Okay company. Not good at listening to its employees, and a tad bloated.

Advice to Management

Get involved in what employees are doing.

2. "iOS Tier 1 Support"

Former Employee - Tier I Tech Support in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Tier I Tech Support in San Antonio, TX

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of hours to work

Cons

You get burned our very easily cause they over work you with calls being back to back every 2 seconds between and wfm doesn't know how to break it down properly.

Advice to Management

Add more advisers to loosen the work load and hire better wfm employees that do try and actually work the schedule correctly upon changes instead of having to have a TM pester them to do there job correctly

3. "It depends upon you"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenmore, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenmore, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting (More than 8 years)

Pros

VMC is company that has tremendous potential. If a person wants to learn and contribute this may be the right fit for them.

Cons

If your the kind of person that is waiting for something to happen rather than make something happen, look for a different company.

4. "Decent Entry-Level Testing Job, Very Poor Amount of Work Hours"

Former Contractor - Compliance Tester for Xbox Consoles in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Compliance Tester for Xbox Consoles in Redmond, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Good, relaxed atmosphere in the testing labs.
    - Leads are well-versed and knowledgeable about the testing process for titles.
    - Testers get to occasionally get hands-on with not-yet-released titles.
    - Pay per hour is decent for an entry-level position.
    - Pretty much a yearly pay-raise.
    - No (noticeable) shady dealings, despite a lot of horror stories coming out of the QA sector.
    - Supports direct-deposit pay checks; I did not have any issues with billing or missed paydays for my time working for this company.

Cons

- Testing process is full of undocumented caveats; i.e. some test cases are done against the written test steps, different test pass types treat some test cases oddly, etc.
    - Hour scheduling is done the night before, with the possibility of working 6 days out of the week. Planning anything for an "off day" is pretty much out of the question.
    - While the pay-per-hour is decent, the number of hours per week are extremely poor. I believe the average in my 2 and a half years was somewhere around 10-12 hours per week. Granted, the work picks up a lot just before the holidays, the off season definitely brings income down below a survivable level. Plus, leads were always brought in whenever there was a title to test, but only a small contingent of 1-4 testers (if that) if the workload was light, leading to huge disparities in hours billed (ex: I had gotten about 4 hours one week, whereas the leads each got 40).
    - The above is compounded by the fact that there are two testing offices, one in the US and one in the UK. Due to the difference in labor laws, the UK office tended to get a LOT more titles to test, and were demonstrably worse in quality of testing.

Advice to Management

Do everything in your power to secure title contracts! The dismal amount of hours testers are able to work, despite offers to work temporarily for other sections, means the testers are making FAR below minimum wage! Also, kick some training towards the UK branch, they really need it.

"Tier 1 Mac+ advisor"

Current Employee - Apple Tier I Support in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Apple Tier I Support in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its pretty lenient with the attendance policy and most co-workers are great to be around.

Cons

Management hasn't done the job in months/years so puts unrealistic expectations on new advisors.
    Raises? What are those?
    Puts more emphasis in your stats than your actual tech ability or ability to deal with a customer.

Advice to Management

Take a few calls here and there, actually do the job form time to time to stay down to earth and not set expectations so high that most new advisor leave or quit within the first few weeks.

6. "Stepping stone"

Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at VMC Consulting as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kind of position you don't want to be in for any period of time, but useful to network and pull a check.

Cons

Not a great company to work for........ At all. Opportunistic and not looking out for anybody but themselves, and their bottom line.

Advice to Management

Be grateful that you get paid for being nothing more than an exclusive access point to an employer.
    Best of luck.

7. "Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Data Center Operations Manager in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Data Center Operations Manager in Fairfield, CA

I worked at VMC Consulting (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Life Balance was good, but primarily due to my manager, not the company.

Cons

HQ is not really connected with work sites.

"Overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vast network, opportunity to find decent contract work. Fairly responsive IT department that is available and maintains well-functioning hardware. Great individuals scattered throughout.

Cons

Favoritism, disengaged, overwhelmed, overused: terms to describe mid-level managers. Call center operations poorly run; too many great reps fired while poor ones retained. Discouraging.

Advice to Management

Care for your low-level people as much as your C-level execs.

"manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and easy parking.

Cons

The scope of work is narrow

10. "Only my coworkers keep the review up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworker were, for the most part (there were a few slackers/drama stirrers), were absolutely wonderful to work with. My manager was excellent, and I felt confident talking honestly with him in one-on-ones, and he actively worked to resolve any issues I was having, and to give me feedback on my work. Granted, I did have to chase him down a little bit, but that's because he's fulfilling about 4 job roles right now. Work hours were flexible, at least in regards to having to be elsewhere occasionally; as long as my projects were completed and I made 40 hours, I could leave early for (for example) a doctor's appointment without any trouble.

They try to promote from within, and there is tons to learn, especially if you're looking for it. The benefits, for an FTE at least, are pretty good

Cons

There is almost no communication from the top down. Most of the time, my manager, who has been here awhile and is in the know on a lot of things, didn't know what was going on in regards to project initiation, projects getting put on hold for indeterminate amounts of time, changes to systems or departments, etc. We've gone almost 3 years now with no offical org chart, so who knows who reports to whom or who is in charge of what, aside from your immediate manager.

The company doesn't really value its employees, it feels like. Merit increases are small to none, and irregular. In the last few years, we've gone from several company-sponsored employee events (company picnic, Christmas party (which has been gone even longer), etc) to pretty much none, except for a couple of potlucks. Morale is not great, and higher-ups don't seem to care.

It takes months to get approvals for the smallest process changes, and processes are not assessed or revamped for efficiency, which makes for a lot of repetitive and in some cases, conflicting, work.

One caveat on my not recommending to someone else is, it's actually a pretty good place for an entry-level position. I just wouldn't recommend it if you have a solid skill set, and don't stay more than a year or two.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Show some leadership instead of letting the departments flounder around trying to keep their area of business afloat while having no structure, support, or guidance. People in the lower and middle ranks with suggestions to improve things pretty much go unnoticed, and this makes things very inefficient. Treat the employees better. Act like you actually care that there are people here, as opposed to just your bottom line. Of the people I know, if they had better acknowledgement, you'd get a ton more productivity.