VMC Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

VMC Consulting Reviews

Updated September 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very lax work environment, nearly no punishment for violating company policies (in 6 reviews)

• Good experience for entry level IT workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management changed frequently (in 12 reviews)

• Competitive work environment as the company only hires a limited number of full-time employees (in 6 reviews)

"No conversions, bait and switch"

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time

Pros

They have repetitive contracts and a long standing relationship with Microsoft for myriad projects and groups. If you are an A-grade talent not getting the opportunity to show your stuff at MSFT, this may be a useful way in

Cons

Too many to list. They pay far below industry standard and bid for functionary jobs that are blown up inasfar as responsibilities go. VMC hires you through Volt and promises conversion to full time VMC (meaning, you'd get benefits) within six months and almost all jobs are advertised as C2H which are all lies. When pressed about conversion or actual chances of being converted, your VMC management gets short with you and tells you not to discuss it any more. Most insultingly, it is corporate policy to never disclose your Bill Rate to you, as an employee. The most telling sign that you are working for a bush-league firm is refusal to be transparent about the profits you are generating for the company. No respectable Consulting firm witholds their CFW's bill rate as it becomes a significant portion of their Annual Review, STI and LTIs.

Advice to Management

Your attrition problem stems from systemic hiring practices. Stop underbidding and going for C or D grade positions. Start offering real health care and other benefits. Be fully transparent with candidates about Bill and Take Home rates and fire any PM or Recruiter that states positions are C2H when there is no chance they are.

"Lacking leaders with experience or skills"

Former Employee - Game Tester in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Game Tester in Redmond, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of free parking and coffee. Some good worker bees who care about their work product and are fun to work with.

Cons

Management is so poor that it's pointless to try hard. No reason to want to move up or take on more work.

3. "Good experience, but not long term"

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time

Pros

great experience that can leader to advancement opportunities at other companies

Cons

No room for advancement at the company itself. Lack of communication from management and a naturally stressful work environment makes it someplace you don't want to be long-term.

Advice to Management

Increase the communication

"Only good as a stepping stone, not a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good projects, if you're lucky. Ability to learn a lot. Pay is better than that of a sweatshop.

Cons

Pay below Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing etc.. No stability. Constant turnover. Too many empty spaces. High insurance premium if eligible for benefits.

Advice to Management

Sell.

5. "VMC Consulting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great teamwork environment. Good overall.

Cons

Leadership changes and re-orgs happened 3 times in 6 years.

6. "If you're a good employee, you will be overlooked and belittled"

Current Employee - Chemist II in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Chemist II in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I don't really have very many good things to say about this company.

Cons

During my first month there, a woman in upper level management asked me what high school I went to when I am pretty sure that you need at least a Bachelor's to work in a lab setting. Then again, I only applied to and acquired the job. She had a complete disconnect with her employees, and it showed.

We were told from day 1 that we would be converted to the main contracting company (VMC) after 6 months. We asked our team lead, who asked our project manager, who asked the incompetent woman in upper management when we would be able to start the conversion paperwork. 18 months after starting there, I was finally able to start conversion paperwork. We were told by this woman that conversion was being held back because they had just let a few people go on another project. That makes no business sense whatsoever. The only correspondence we received from this woman were generic emails that barely pertained to current situations. Our project manager told us that he was continually playing phone and email tag with her because she seemed to be incapable of communicating. Before our conversion, this idiotic woman pushed for us to get our raise from the contracting company before the conversion. Then, after the conversion we were pushed back to our original pay grade and told "sorry, there's nothing we can do." We were told we'd have to wait months AGAIN to be able to have any vacation and personal days after building them up for 18 months.

Don't even ask them to fire an employee who deserves it. 2 of my coworkers had been at the job for a few years. 1 guy was working at a different location and threatened to quit unless they transferred him to our location. Not a single person on my team (this was before I was here) wanted this guy to work with them. He didn't have very good references. However, the team was told that they had to take him or he would quit. Their opinion didn't seem to matter at all. This guy would get paid to sit on his butt and play video games on his laptop! We complained for months before management finally said that employees were not allowed to bring in laptops. That's it. No push to contribute just "Don't bring in personal laptops." He eventually got himself fired.

Another employee had been on our project for about 5 years. When I arrived about 2 years ago, he had clearly lost interest in the job. We work a standard 40 hour week, but this guy would do about 8 hours of work a week. That was during a good week. He was asked many, many times to step it up or he would be fired. However, in order to fire him, there were multiple, idiotic steps that they needed to take to fire him. We kept data for about 6 months proving that he did less than 5% of the work on a 6 person team. 6 months and ZERO PROGRESS was made. We just kept getting told to wait. That's all they do. They make you wait. And in the end, you get nothing worthwhile.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. People don't enjoy working for companies that belittle and outright ignore them and their opinions.

"Tier 1 Mac+ advisor"

Current Employee - Apple Tier I Support in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Apple Tier I Support in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its pretty lenient with the attendance policy and most co-workers are great to be around.

Cons

Management hasn't done the job in months/years so puts unrealistic expectations on new advisors.
    Raises? What are those?
    Puts more emphasis in your stats than your actual tech ability or ability to deal with a customer.

Advice to Management

Take a few calls here and there, actually do the job form time to time to stay down to earth and not set expectations so high that most new advisor leave or quit within the first few weeks.

"Worst place I have worked."

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours other than that nothing.

Cons

crappy place with crappy management. VMC is another IT body shopping company. one of the worst place I have ever worked.

9. "BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at VMC Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

OT is available sometimes sometimes!

Cons

low pay meaningless policy and procedure that is chosen to only follow for a few
    not about a client or customer it is about the almighty dollar
    no room for growth no real management

Advice to Management

look at the employee experience with your organization

"Soul Crushing Managment"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are lucky, you may get a good manager that buffers you from the upper management team. Benefits are good PTO and Insurance.
    Prefect opportunity for a white male sociopath, those are the folks that get promoted .

Cons

Upper Management uses an authoritarian leadership style, this wouldn't be so bad if they made sound business decisions.
    Employees are treated like any other asset (PC, Desk, Software) Not valued as people
    They are the good ole boys club...If you are a minority or female good luck in moving up I the organization!
    When they have a good manager, they fire them. And promote the awful mangers.
    Males make more than their female counterparts.