VMC Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

VMC Consulting Reviews

Updated February 3, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • nice people, co-workers from all of the world (in 5 reviews)

• Nice people, good environment and flexible hours (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management changed frequently (in 12 reviews)

• Competitive work environment as the company only hires a limited number of full-time employees (in 5 reviews)

"manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and easy parking.

Cons

The scope of work is narrow

"Would avoid if you can"

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Issaquah, WA

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had great co-workers
    It was a good opportunity to work for a large software company.

Cons

They treat you more or less like a commodity. VMC took a high ratio of my bill rate compared to other contracting companies. The benefits are minimal and what they do provide forced either by law or by the company they are vending for. Had a ridiculous policy regarding holiday pay making it very difficult to qualify for it. The only reason that I had a chair when I started was because I took one from a conference room. Had to fight to get ergonomic equipment. Ended up buying my own keyboard to use. Had to use reams of paper as monitor risers. I received a working headset for the phone only because someone else was let go and I inherited his.

Advice to Management

I think it would be difficult to improve unless there is a serious change in policy regarding benefits. Though a good start would be to provide the necessary equipment for the job. Also make it easier to obtain ergonomic equipment.

"Technical Advisor"

Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will sometimes work with your schedule if you are a student.

Cons

Management is extremely poor in this company. Not only are they never present, but the individuals who are employed as "managers" are extremely inept and unprofessional; they lack the necessary leaderships skills. They will accuse employees of doing things "wrong" however, they are so uneducated and unprofessional that they can't even tell you what it is that you are doing wrong; thus leading in a lot of unfair terminations of good employees who truly are doing their job and going above and beyond for their customers.

For what they pay, which is $9.50/hr, they definitely are exploiting their employees by expecting so much out of them with very little pay and no incentives. If a company expects stellar service out of their employees, pay definitely needs to be increased and better management to correctly lead their employees; especially when working for such a major telecommunications company.

The center lacks the proper equipment to do your job right. Not only are there no headsets, the very few headsets available are either broken or malfunctioning. Management has been promising new headsets for over a year now but the employees are yet to find those new headsets to properly do their job. Amongst management it is more about socializing amongst each other and what they will be doing for lunch rather than fixing the issues in front of them.

Advice to Management

Hire better qualified individuals who actually have leadership experience and will be present rather than just wondering and socializing around the site during their work hours; extremely unprofessional and unethical. Make sure that they are educated as to why they are terminating individuals so a lot of employees won't be left in the dark when they are told "we don't know what you're doing wrong sorry."

5. "Technical service advisor"

I worked at VMC Consulting full-time

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours, good management

Cons

No time off, no incentives

Advice to Management

Work with peoes schedules across the board

"Employee Experience at VMC"

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time

Pros

VMC has established great service offerings and value to our customers. The focus on core service offerings in the last few years is refreshing and will play well in the future success of VMC.

Cons

The current leadership is more focused on issues that do not provide the ability to grow revenue that company is not focused on the right things value to the client and growth

7. "Lots of potential"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

while working for VMC it is possible to advance fast if you have the drive.

Cons

some of the employee tools could use some updating

Advice to Management

None

"Not the worst, not the best either."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The people I work with are supportive & kind. The job is easy & fairly laid-back.

Cons

Management has zero concern for employee morale. Compensation is poor. Raises? What raises? Have gotten none since moving to my current role & my performance has been excellent.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Give them a pat on the back if they do well. More money would be even nicer.

9. "SDE"

Pros

The do provide vacation pay ...2 weeks a year

Cons

Pay is not current with the times. They do not honor promises they provide to employees.

10. "Only my coworkers keep the review up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworker were, for the most part (there were a few slackers/drama stirrers), were absolutely wonderful to work with. My manager was excellent, and I felt confident talking honestly with him in one-on-ones, and he actively worked to resolve any issues I was having, and to give me feedback on my work. Granted, I did have to chase him down a little bit, but that's because he's fulfilling about 4 job roles right now. Work hours were flexible, at least in regards to having to be elsewhere occasionally; as long as my projects were completed and I made 40 hours, I could leave early for (for example) a doctor's appointment without any trouble.

They try to promote from within, and there is tons to learn, especially if you're looking for it. The benefits, for an FTE at least, are pretty good

Cons

There is almost no communication from the top down. Most of the time, my manager, who has been here awhile and is in the know on a lot of things, didn't know what was going on in regards to project initiation, projects getting put on hold for indeterminate amounts of time, changes to systems or departments, etc. We've gone almost 3 years now with no offical org chart, so who knows who reports to whom or who is in charge of what, aside from your immediate manager.

The company doesn't really value its employees, it feels like. Merit increases are small to none, and irregular. In the last few years, we've gone from several company-sponsored employee events (company picnic, Christmas party (which has been gone even longer), etc) to pretty much none, except for a couple of potlucks. Morale is not great, and higher-ups don't seem to care.

It takes months to get approvals for the smallest process changes, and processes are not assessed or revamped for efficiency, which makes for a lot of repetitive and in some cases, conflicting, work.

One caveat on my not recommending to someone else is, it's actually a pretty good place for an entry-level position. I just wouldn't recommend it if you have a solid skill set, and don't stay more than a year or two.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Show some leadership instead of letting the departments flounder around trying to keep their area of business afloat while having no structure, support, or guidance. People in the lower and middle ranks with suggestions to improve things pretty much go unnoticed, and this makes things very inefficient. Treat the employees better. Act like you actually care that there are people here, as opposed to just your bottom line. Of the people I know, if they had better acknowledgement, you'd get a ton more productivity.

11. "Service Analyst 4"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at VMC Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

Not many opportunities if you are carrer oriented

Advice to Management

.....