VMware Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • They really mean it when they say they are committed to things like work/life balance (in 287 reviews)

• cutting edge technology, Friendly environment, safe to work, great salary (in 89 reviews)

Cons

"Amazing company with bright future"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aggressive sales team, innovative people. Amazing place to work

Cons

Issues common to all big companies.

"Fast pace and challenging"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific benefits, culture and talent.

Cons

Currently undergoing reorganization, customer experience will suffer.

Advice to Management

Retain IP.

3. "Great benefits/culture, I had an inexperienced manager but believe I would have loved my job under a different manager"

Former Contractor - Human Resources Source Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Human Resources Source Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Team was very friendly
    Free drinks and snacks in a stocked kitchen daily
    Lots of onsite events and provided lunch or breakfast occasionally
    Overall culture was very positive
    Nice building/location in Austin

Cons

Lack of training or expectations, granted I was put under a new manager. Training mostly consisted of me sitting with team members and watching what they do and having my manager micromanage the reviews of all my cases. I was provided with no constructive criticism or ways to improve and develop for future job success. It took me proactively scheduling a meeting with my supervisor to discuss where I was at (bc he never made an effort to have meetings with me to discuss progress or areas for improvement) During this meeting, he listed at least ten things that he thought I was doing wrong. -- most of which were absolutely insane for him to wait until I scheduled a meeting with him to discuss. Example: He thought my case responses sounded robotic yet we had scripts I had been told to follow and at this point I had already been there for three months and this was the first I was hearing of this. Wasn't until I scheduled the meeting asking for feedback that he pretty much ripped me apart. It was one of the most bizarre and unprofessional experiences I have ever had with a manager. He was just not capable of providing constructive criticism as things happened -- which is how employees learn what they need to change or improve on to be successful in their position. If a manager is incapable of giving criticism, they are not management material. Period. In addition, he told me that I had not "earned my place on the team to joke with them the way they all joked to each other". Had this not been a contract position, I would have gone to internal Human Resources because of his complete lack of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Good employees don't always make good managers. If you can't straight up tell someone when they need to change or improve upon an area of weakness, you should not be in a management position. Also telling an employee they haven't earned their place to make jokes or talk casually to their team like everyone else does (and everyone else made very inappropriate statements and f bombs -- all of which I would never do) is seriously setting yourself up for a future discrimination lawsuit should this manager not understand the basic concepts of both Human Resources and management.

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - SE Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - SE Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

VMware is very supportive of career development. Internal transfers even between completely different types of jobs are very easy to accomplish. In the 6 years I've worked there, I've had 4 completely different kinds of roles - Internal Datacenter Ops, Sales Engineer, Professional Services, and now Management. I never feel the need to leave VMware to move to the next step in my career or to branch out into emerging technologies. Before coming here I always had to leave a job every 2 years to be able to move up or get involved in different things.

The highest levels of leadership constantly impress me with the strategic decisions they make and the way they are able to monetize and promote new technologies. I've never seen a leadership team as good at making money. This translates to solid commissions for Sales Engineers / Account Reps and general company health/growth if nothing else.

They also take their corporate culture pretty seriously. They really mean it when they say they are committed to things like work/life balance.

Cons

There are pockets of people within VMware that are beyond comfortable. These people barely do any work at all. But due to their tenure, the way some orgs are structured, and VERY forgiving HR policies, they will never get fired. I once literally caught someone snorting drugs AT WORK and HR wouldn't do anything. Said it was my word against theirs as to what the substance actually was. Unbelievable. It can be frustrating to deal with such types when you are highly motivated to get things done. I'd say maybe 10% of the company is like this these days, but it is there.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The new focus on investment in customer success is absolutely the right move.

6. "Inside Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enthusiastic employees, in-demand products, free food, great money.

Cons

May be harder than expected to move from inside sales to the field.

"Round & round we go, slowly getting absorbed by Dell until no one without a Director + title is gone"

Current Contractor - Global Marketing Operations in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Global Marketing Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great kitchens with ample snacks.
    - WFH options
    - Will never go out of business since Dell acquired the company

Cons

- Absolute confusion among the same teams. One GEO has no clue what is happening in any other GEO. Any successful programs will not be replicated and failed programs are not identified and will be replicated several times among the many GEOs thinking their program will be the one to succeed.
    - Too many chefs in the kitchen. Unless you are a new hire pee-on, everyone will be more than happy to talk about ways to improve efficiencies but not lift a finger. Rather, all that sh*t rolls downhill and lowest person on totem pole will have to identify & analyze what went wrong.

Advice to Management

Where are you? Climb down from your ivory chambers and meet the people who do all your work.

8. "Incredible Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VMware is a great company to work for. It is very collaborative and inclusive. So much to say about their EPIC values.

Cons

Sales operations and reporting is very weak. It still surprises me how bad it is.

Advice to Management

Fix sales operations. It's a big wart in an otherwise awesome company

9. "Great culture and benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

You'd have a hard time finding better benefits. Medical, Dental, life insurance and 401k match is top notch.

Cons

If you have issues with hard work and some long hours on occasion this is probably not for you. We do play hard and you are appreciated and we'll compensated for your hard work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. If it's not broke don't fix it. Consider bringing back the insurance plan with no deductible.

10. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, very communicative, open to suggestions of process improvements, team environment.

Cons

company going through too many transitions, many positions were moved out of the Americas to other countries and put people out of jobs.

11. "Contracter"

Current Employee - Business Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware (Less than a year)

Pros

A great place to work, positive environment and great mentor's to help you build your carrier path

Cons

Nothing really, love the company

Showing 106 of 2,980 reviews