VMware Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 13, 2017

Intern

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate
  1. "Very Good Software Engineering Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at VMware as an intern

Pros

- The work I was given was very interesting and relevant to my interests within software development, and the experience I gained as an intern here is proving most valuable in my search for a full time position.
    - As an intern, I was paired with a mentor who was highly knowledgeable in the area I was working.
    - Casual work environment and no dress code for employees who are not visible to clients.
    - Very reasonable and flexible hours (~40 a week for interns). I was never compelled to work on a late evening or weekend over the 12 weeks of the internship. I was also given the freedom to choose the hours I worked (as long as I chose to work enough hours to get the tasks assigned to me done), so I could choose to sleep in on days I didn't feel like waking up early.
    - Decent compensation for an internship, in my opinion.
    - The office where I worked had free coffee, soda, snacks, cereal, nutrition bars, nuts and M&Ms for employees.
    - There were a number of social events organized for interns.
    - VMware provided housing for the duration of my internship.

Cons

- The office space I was put in was a little crowded, although I am of the impression this is only a temporary issue that is expected to clear up once they finish expanding the office I was at to add an additional floor.
    - There was a significant issue with the housing I was provided for my internship during the final week of the internship which required me to move out of my apartment and to a hotel room for that last week. In particular, a work crew removed all the furniture that came with the apartment after showing up to the wrong unit. However, I attribute this to a highly negligent clerical error on the part of the apartment's management rather than any fault directly on the part of VMware.

2. "Interesting intern projects"

I worked at VMware as an intern

Pros

Good pay, Good perks and challenging work

Cons

Old technologies and Slow growth

3. "Good Company"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at VMware as an intern

Pros

Good Benefits, 401K, Medical and dental insurance

Cons

less chances of converting intern to full time

4. ""EPIC2" Wastage of my whole summer, Useless project, Scarce headcount for full time conversion"

I worked at VMware as an intern

Pros

Nice accommodation and shuttle. Other than that, absolutely nothing

Cons

No prior planning for intern projects. The team had lots of projects that were a perfect match for my skill set, but they somehow decided to assign me work that had absolutely no match to my skillset and interests, and was very low quality. Team interaction was quite poor. The manager was non-existent for almost the whole summer. Overall environment is not suited for free flow of ideas

Advice to Management

Hire managers who can actually manage, not engineers who have spent 10 years with the company. Don't hire interns if you know that there is no headcount for intern to full time conversion

5. "Great place to work at"

I worked at VMware as an intern

Pros

Talented peers who are always willing to help. Teams are mission driven to build innovative solutions

Cons

Need more alignment among different business units

"Great if you want to make lots of money and not do much"

Former Intern - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware as an intern

Pros

Great pay, great work-life balance, nice campus, good intern benefits and fleshed-out intern program

Cons

Note: all this applies to the internship program -- I don't know much about the full-time experience.

1) Kills ambition. If you're a smart and driven person like me and most of my other co-interns, then you love being challenged and thrown in a fast-paced environment of learning and growth. The VMware internship experience provides the opposite. You'll basically roll in at 10:00am and leave at 4:00pm and still struggle finding enough work to do to fill those hours. The office is basically DESERTED by 4 or 4:30, and it's common for people to leave earlier. Me and my co-interns felt like the work of 2-3 interns could've been done by one intern. It's not a place where interns can make a large impact or grow a lot.

2) Extremely hands-off management culture (generally). Myself and many of my co-interns would go several days--and sometimes even weeks--without having our manager check in with us. Managers don't do much to make sure interns are learning and having a fulfilling experience. (There were definitely exceptions to this, some managers were very active and helpful).

3) Not a team-based organization. No team outings. "Meetings" are always people calling in from home or their cubicle. Aside from the few people you work directly with, you won't get a chance to get to know other people unless you make a very intentional effort to do so. The "Welcome to VMware!" email was the first and last time I heard from most of my team.

Advice to Management

Make sure you're only hiring interns that you really need. There's nothing that turns off ambitious college students more than an internship that doesn't challenge them or teach them anything. Hiring 200+ interns just because you have enough money to do so is a terrible, terrible idea.

Maybe consider that your focus on work-life balance (leaving early, working remotely) has actually been detrimental to the culture at the office. Focus more on team outings and building a team-based culture so people can build IN-PERSON relationships at work.

7. "Commercial Sales analysis Intern"

Former Intern - Student in Penn State University, PA
    Former Intern - Student in Penn State University, PA

I worked at VMware as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Experience! A lot of hands on work within the different sectors of the company. More than competitive pay, and paid relocation was a huge benefit as well.

Cons

The only con was having to leave!

8. "Summer Intership Review"

Former Intern - Member of Technical Staff Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Member of Technical Staff Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware as an intern

Pros

Great manager and team.
    Complete learning experience.
    Excellent work life balance

Cons

HR could be more professional.
    Frugal when it comes to reimbursements, travel allowances etc.

9. "Great summer intern experience"

Former Intern - , Member of Technical Staff in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - , Member of Technical Staff in Cambridge, MA

I worked at VMware as an intern

Pros

- Helpful intern mentoring
    - Fun intern events
    - Friendly coworkers
    - Snacks, drinks, occasional lunch provided
    - Focus on workspace ergonomics
    - Global communications infrastructure (telepresence/videoconferencing)

Cons

- Cambridge office seemed a little empty
    - Lacks a distinct & widespread company culture as a global company

10. "Palo Alto Intern"

Current Intern - Business Analyst Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Intern - Business Analyst Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware as an intern

Pros

Great work environment, hands-on experience, great campus, encouraging team.

Cons

I didn't have any bad experiences.

Showing 119 of 3,475 reviews