VMware Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

Cons

1. "Lost all my money (over 3,000$) in dependent care flexible spending account after I left VMWare"

Pros

smart, nice and easy going co-workers!

Cons

I claims my dependent care flexible spending account on January for the previous year. But when I was trying to claim it for year 2016 today, they told me the money is gone (back to VMware) since I didn't claim it within the 90 days starting the date I left VMware last year. and, they told me this is not IRS rule, it is the VMWare rule. And, I didn't remember HR told me this rule when I left the company either.

From talking with other friends, this is not rules from other companies either.

2. "Trump Admin mirrors VMware leadership"

I worked at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a tremendously talented and smart group o of people within the org. Engineers and tech staff are happy as per other reviews - largely in part to their in the resource rich bubble.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement within of women to executive or leadership team. Check out e-staff list and VPs on LinkedIn. If your not an engineer, your function is not valued or empowered.

"Illegal H1bs"

Pros

No pros at all. Deport all the h1bs

Cons

Lots of illegal H1bs who dont know anything. They are hired because they are cheap labor

Advice to Management

Fire H1bs

5. "management is clueless"

Pros

beautiful campus and wonderful turtle pond

Cons

no working from home - manager thinks Yahoo is the ideal place to work because no one can work from home
    no equipment - no budget in the department for a new computer, not even for a new hire. ridiculous amount of time spent looking for a used machine because there was no budget for a new one
    no management oversite - manager continuously refuses to clarify tasks/goals, manager has no idea what is going on, hysterical management style, passive aggressive
    lack of HR support - HR admits there is nothing they can do about poor management at vmware

Advice to Management

allow people to get at least one new computer for their work
    allow people to work at home as needed if work and deliverables are beings met
    please give your management some training on how to be PEOPLE managers NOT dictators
    please allow HR to step in and handle bad managers

6. "Bleek future"

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

There are benefits of working in the head quarter in Palo Alto such as free bagels on Wednesdays and beer-bashes every other Friday.

Cons

As VMware is expanding in India, it appears the US staff is getting nervous and more defensive and competitive. Teams no longer collaborate and staff is backstabbing and stepping on corpses to climb the narrower corporate ladder.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, spread the wealth and help the staff grow both personally and professionally.

"Technology on the bloody edge"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

free snacks, crazy people with no direction

Cons

no organization at all, crazy people with no organization or skills. No training

Advice to Management

organize and communicate, don't just ignore problems

8. "Client Executive"

Former Employee - Client Executive
    Former Employee - Client Executive

Pros

Beautiful Campus. vSphere is a market leader.

Cons

Really bad management - the worst that I have ever seen in my 20 year career. RDs do not care about you, the customer, the obstacles faced.All that they care about is the roll up of a number. They be-rate you, and bully you into committing to a number with zero assistance with the sales motion. My team was subjected to horrendous verbal abuse on a daily basis, but yet my boss was non existent in the field.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the RDs and specialist RDs. Allow the AEs to roll the number up to the Sales VPs directly -as that is the ONLY function of an RD anyway. Hopefully Dell will bring their leadership in to take over. Get rid of the "Good Ole Boy Club".

9. "There's good and bad here"

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

great brand recognition and reputation; true work life balance w flexible work hours & telecommuting, culture of getting work done where & when you need, vacation, promote from within

Cons

sales org structure is/was major fail; terrible health benefits,

Advice to Management

fix sales org structure and support, improve sales leadership team, make it better for sellers to sell; improve health benefits

"Responsibilities constantly increase quarter after quarter."

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Good benefits. Corporate campus is really nice if you get a job at corporate. Lots of nice people work here.

Cons

Every quarter my job responsibilities changed. And I don't mean from "ABC" to "XYZ". I mean responsibilities for "XYZ" were added to "ABC". I was hired to be a specialist on "ABC" and after three years I was expected to be a specialist on so many different products there's not enough letters in the alphabet to represent how much my specialist responsibilities increased. Makes me wonder if the company even understands what specializing means.

Advice to Management

When you recruit people to be specialists, give them a job where they specialize. If your spouse had a heart condition, you wouldn't want them seeing a heart specialist today that is also a podiatrist tomorrow, a dentist the following day, a chiropractor next week, a psychologist the week after and a plumber every other month would you? Why then do you do that to your customers?

"Turmoil. Spending money on unnecessary software while laying people off."

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Snacks are great. Food is good.
    Parking has gotten better. Lots of charging stations!
    Co-workers are nice.
    Going Green and recycling is highly encouraged.

Cons

Upper management has made some bad software decisions. Why spend millions on a system and then lay off hundreds?

Not to mention unrest and uneasy folks waiting for the Dell shoe to drop.

Advice to Management

Cut out some middle managers that are just clogging up the real workers. Stop recognizing those types for taking credit of their direct reports!

Showing 139 of 2,871 reviews