VMware Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 12, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "I can't recommend it"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At least the parking is free :)

Cons

Oh, my. Poor sales training, capped commission

Advice to Management

Why on earth would you ever cap commission?

2. "Poorly run sales organization"

Current Employee - NSX Sales
    Current Employee - NSX Sales

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to scam your way to revenue credit by getting access to purchase credits meant for others

Cons

Shady business practices. Too many lines of business without any method / process / benefit to work together. No work / life balance. No support from lines of practice management.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to blend the sales organizations so that they will find ways to work together vs acting like separate companies. If I wanted that type of atmosphere I would have stayed at Oracle.

"Go at your own risk"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to learn new skills

Cons

Bad work life balance
    Stagnant Growth

"Talent Acquisiton Organization"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great benefits
    - a lot of work
    - okay pay
    - great company vision
    - great CEO

Cons

- the Talent Acquisition team is falling apart due to high turn over
    - recently implemented a new ATS and it has made it really hard to get candidates through the system or there are so many glitches you can't do a good job documenting or pushing the right candidates through
    - Business units we support aren't happy
    - lack of support from leadership in Talent Acquisition make it hard to be happy here
    - We have a TA COE that is supposed to be running the Talent Acquisition backend and I think that leader either doesn't know what is going on or was promoted too quickly from the channels/field side to the COE.
    -highly political. if you aren't in the in crowd then you get treated really bad. If you join make friends fast because if you don't then your career is negatively impacted.

Advice to Management

There are some leaders that either got promoted too fast or are bad eggs. When you have leaders yelling at people or sending nasty grams via email to those under them something is wrong. That is not the VMware culture to treat people so awful. Please stop treating lower level folks so bad. We do a lot of work and we deserve better. Also, just because we have all new leadership within the last few years doesn't mean that everyone before you was bad so please stop talking about them in all hands meetings. We don't want to hear you talk bad about our old leadership. Honestly, We want to know what we are going to do about our current situation. Finally, when talking about other people/peers/ICs/management please use their names and refrain from referring to them as a level or pay grade. In fact, please don't mention our level out loud at all unless we are having a comp/career conversation. It's no ones business if someone is a P something or an M something and shouldn't be talked about in the Austin office in the middle of an open environment or on a conference call. It's not appropriate. the one positive thing i can say is I know there is hope now that we have a leader that has been her for awhile. I have high hopes for her and hope she gets this org back into a good place. we really need it.

5. "not the best around"

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

An easy hiring process as a contractor

Cons

Agents from India who are greedy and not able to communicate efficiently.

Example: When you ask for a raise, they let you walk to your manager to fill out a form. Then you have to fill out a form to send both to Akraya.
    So they come and tell you they have no room right now for anything like that.
    Why did they have you complete all that work? They dont care, that you wasted a lot of company time for nothing.

Their employees are neither efficient or qualified and pretty much rip you off at the end.

Advice to Management

Pack up your stuff and do something else. Walmart is probably hiring.

"Nepotism rules the day"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First class benefits and very low expectations. Unlimited vacation.. Good for South Indians with management aspirations.

Cons

Clueless management, nepotism and racism. The engineer quality is low and this is only a good company for those that negotiate a good package and vest in peace.

Advice to Management

Get a clue - cut layers of useless managers!

"Run Away- this company has lost it's way."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people you work with are team oriented and generally believe in VMW's direction.
    - VMW does a lot of charity work, so they at least get credit for that.

Cons

- Pay scale for commissioned employees has been completely rigged against them, with ZERO explanation. They pay you at a rate of 0.75 until 50% of quota is reached, and only pay on 60% of vSphere sales. Despicable. Even worse is how they tier Inside Sales reps- they weigh them to the tune of 70/30, meaning 70% of commissions paid are sub 100k business, only 30% of your variable is paid out above 100k business. Completely stacked to position you to make less. This leads to a majorly demotivated workforce. There's so much tension and angst regarding these comp changes its palpable, and it's forcing people to leave. Completely and utterly disappointed leadership would allow such draconian changes that directly affect them and their families.

-Leave policy for all ISR's completely changed from "unlimited", gave employees no real "bank" of days off to compensate, and now are considered hourly employees. Wonderful.

- Zero guidance or direction for career advancement. Good luck.

Advice to Management

- Look around, the talent pool vs 2 years ago is quite noticeably less. Fix comp and maybe people return, otherwise people will continue to pass and brain drain will continue.

"One of the top 100 companies to work for? Not even close."

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide free chips, sodas, snacks and often bring in catered food. They pay fairly well and the benefits are decent. They try to fatten you up so they can catch you if you try to run away screaming from the overly burdensome stress.

Cons

They run skeleton crews in order to maximize profit at the expense of their customers and their employees. They give you far more work then you could ever be expected to handle in a 40 hour work week and then they ask you why the work isn't getting done. They will deny you the right to visit a doctor if only ONE other person is expected to be out of the office on that day! They do not care about your health or well being. They give you 80 hours of sick leave because they know you are going to need them! They blame you because they do not have enough people to do the job. They seem to be continuously hiring new people even while laying off existing people that are qualified to do the jobs for which they are currently hiring. They PAY a LOT of money to designated as one of the top 100 companies to work for. The attrition rate is incredibly high, one of the highest in any company world wide. After 1 year and 11 months I had been been with VMware longer than 44% of everyone else!! This alone tells you how bad management is and how stressful it is to work for this company.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect your employees and treat them like adults. People don't need cheap & stupid little Valentine's day gifts from all of the managers! Allow employees to visit doctors and specialists to cope with the massive amounts of stress when recommended by a primary care physician. Don't lay people off while recruiting new people. It takes 6-8 months to "spin up" a new employee but instead of offering a different position to someone already employed and qualified, you decide to lay them off and hire new people. This is the epitome of idiocy & stupidity.

9. "Services Sales"

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

Good salary and benefits, commissions

Cons

Coddle engineering, other positions people worked like dogs. I know several on leave for exhaustion. Unlimited vacation is really no vacation. Need a corporate sponsor/mentor or you will be fodder if something goes wrong.

10. "Lost all my money (over 3,000$) in dependent care flexible spending account after I left VMWare"

Pros

smart, nice and easy going co-workers!

Cons

I claims my dependent care flexible spending account on January for the previous year. But when I was trying to claim it for year 2016 today, they told me the money is gone (back to VMware) since I didn't claim it within the 90 days starting the date I left VMware last year. and, they told me this is not IRS rule, it is the VMWare rule. And, I didn't remember HR told me this rule when I left the company either.

From talking with other friends, this is not rules from other companies either.

Showing 156 of 3,189 reviews