VMware Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3,191 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance often difficult to achieve (in 139 reviews)

• Middle Management needs to improve to take VMware to the next level (in 89 reviews)

1. "Staff Technical Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Technical Support Engineer in Raritan, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Technical Support Engineer in Raritan, NJ

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

Excellent Culture, Great managers and nice accolades.

Cons

No proper direction for career paths

2. "TAM"

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

It's a flexible role, and an open, challenging company to work for.

Cons

It's unstructured and for people who require a lot of clear paths it will be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Experiment more.

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

Awesome pay and awesome benefits are of course two wonderful reasons to work somewhere, but they rarely cancel out the reality of working for a terrible company. Thankfully, VMware is a great company so you get the trifecta! Everyone gets to do their own calculus when evaluating potential employers, but I suggest focusing first on the work you'll be doing, second on the person who will be your manager and third on the values of the company that pays you.

My team is majority male but our female employees are some of our best, many of them getting well-deserved promotions (and, I think, resulting in our most senior team members being mostly women). My team celebrates EVERYONE's birthday, everyone's work anniversaries, everyone's promotions. Our team's email group receives sometimes 25 questions a day from our own team members, yet I've never seen one of them go unanswered. That's the culture of my team (fostered by my manager) and it's a direct result of the culture of the company.

Anyone who's concerned about the future of the company (in the face of competition from the public cloud) should take time to familiarize themselves with VMware's strategy. Leadership isn't just riding the coattails of ESX and sticking its head in the sand, and I would say our view of the public/private cloud future is a lot more honest than the views of our competitors.

Cons

If you're looking for a company that has a tool and process for everything, this is not the place for you. Many old companies have gone too far in the direction of tools and processes, but VMware could probably stand to add some more.

The Dell acquisition of EMC (which owns VMware) is definitely an opportunity for things to change. Some of the "synergies" (that are always the subject of much hype in an acquisition) have yet to happen and history shows the acquirer usually fares better than the acquired.

Advice to Management

Allowing VMware to remain culturally independent from Dell should be a priority, and it will require a delicate balancing act to ensure that extracting increased efficiencies (i.e. reorganizations) don't harm our culture.

4. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

Good compensation, great benefits and great work life balance

Cons

Slower release cycles - like any other large enterprise companies.

5. "Sales"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture for employees and customer focused

Cons

Stress of the always existent sense of urgency for everything

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing

6. "Staff Engineer"

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

Work with smart people and using new technologies.

Cons

Have to on-call sometimes during weekend.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the most ethical, smart, and fun group of people I've worked with!

Cons

Dog friendly environment translates to some bringing in their pets daily or frequently which can be an issue with the air quality/odor and working environment.

"After 11 years of consulting at 20 companies, I found a GREAT home"

Current Employee - Senior Manager Adoption Change and Training in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVE THE PEOPLE and I LOVE working at a place where your effort translates into outcomes with a minimal amount of bureaucracy and politics. Great culture and great people. Super green company that is a major player in the digital transformation/cloud space. Also, huge focus on innovation and that seems evident on a daily basis. Also- it's a good time to be at VMware with our recent upswing in the market.

Cons

Can be a little bit chaotic... 8 billion dollar company that's < 20 years old still has the "heart and soul" of a startup. That can be really good and refreshing-- also there can be organizational silos and some churn.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of our people. Keep making amazing strategic acquisitions (Airwatch, Nicira, etc) to stay ahead of the curve. Kind of like Boulder and Austin -- "Keep VMware weird (and a little bit nerdy)". Thanks for creating a place with such a vibrant culture. One change would be to intentionally and strategically manage the global workforce better-- meaning, let our colleagues in India have more flexible work hours so they don't spend hours stuck in traffic. Bangalore is a little too chaotic and I think we could differentiate ourselves ever further in the talent market if we made some bold bets in terms of their work-life balance in terms of scheduling.

9. "VP of Sales"

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clear Strategy, Focus on Execution, Outstanding Commitment to Values

Cons

Collaboration tools need improvement, Communication needs continuous improvement

10. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture. Very interesting problems to solve, good engineers, who are collaborative

Cons

Some orgs feel slow - takes a while for code to reach users. But that is improving

Advice to Management

Focus on developer productivity

Showing 3,191 of 3,420 reviews