VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California Reviews | Glassdoor

Marsha Fox

1. Featured Review

"Feels like family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I have been working at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoying working for the VNA. We have 2 offices. When I come to work it is like I am working with family. Co workers really care about one another. I feel we are the best hospice and do amazing work with our patients.

Cons

With hospice there is a lot of competition. With competition that means less patients and less patients means budget cuts.

Advice to Management

Try to give something back to the staff. Everyone has given up something during tough times. An increase in pay would be appreciated.

"Wonderful clients, poor management."

Former Employee - Private Duty HHA in Claremont, CA
    Former Employee - Private Duty HHA in Claremont, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients I got to take care of were always nice and the families were great. I rarely had any problems.

Cons

The people in the office are relentless when it comes to trying to get you to accept a job. It doesn't seem to matter to them if you have to drive 3 miles or 30 miles. They guilt trip you into taking clients, even after you tell them you can't. If you have a full time job and use this place as a second job, beware. They would call me early in the morning when I was still asleep (I worked nights at my full time job) and they'd call me while I was at work. They'll call you 8 or 9 times and then text you if you don't get back to them right away.

Advice to Management

If an employee fills out a paper with hours they are available to work, don't call them and ask them to work hours when they are unavailable. Otherwise that paper is pointless.

"Management Team Difficult to work with"

Former Employee - Community Liaison in Claremont, CA
    Former Employee - Community Liaison in Claremont, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent, close to home, the position was one that made you feel good about what you were doing at the end of the day.

Cons

No creativity, their way was the only way.if you want to be micromanaged, this is the place for you. A very high turn over.

Advice to Management

You hire someone to do a job, let them do it. There is more than one way to do something and someone may bring you an idea you never thought of.

5. "LCSW"

Former Employee - Hospice Social Worker in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Hospice Social Worker in Redlands, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California (More than a year)

Pros

enjoyed colleagues i worked with

Cons

no where to move up in company, RAISE FREEZE for SEVEN YEARS

Advice to Management

none

"Burned out Nurses"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

Good benefits for full time employees, have a lot of patient referrals, provide nurses with supplies needed in patient care, good pay.

Cons

Just keeps accepting patients even when there is not enough staff/nurses to cover the need/demand, too wide of coverage are, high patient acuity. No room for professional growth, quick turn over because staff overwhelmed with schedule or patient assignments.

Advice to Management

The company should look into scheduling, when to stop accepting patients when there is not enough staff.

"going down hill"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Hemet, CA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Hemet, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexibility in your daily work

Cons

horrible moral, complete turnaround of staff, wage freeze for several years, low and declining census, staff unhappy

Advice to Management

start over

"Disappointing Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

Pros

Great benefits, patients, and location.

Cons

Managers don't support staff and favoritism over other employees. Layoffs are frequent. No thanks for service to you as a worker if you get laid. This place doesn't value your hard work.

Advice to Management

Please value your employees. Don't favor one employee over another. Value their hard work. Upper management keep educated employees and not the trashy/uneducated ones.

"Employee of approx 1 year now in High Desert location and don't regret the decision to work here for even one second."

Current Employee - Staff RN in Apple Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Apple Valley, CA

Pros

Great team work, flexible schedule, minimal on call or weekend shifts, manageable case loads make it easy to be highly productive while giving excellent care. Ray Vick the director empowers the staff without micromanaging. Being able to provide excellent care to patients knowing management thinks of the patient first and not the bottom dollar.

Cons

Pay scale seems low. Veteran staff feel raises are slow in coming with poor recognition from CEO on meeting goals and providing excellent care. I have yet to be employed a year to voice an opinion on this.

Advice to Management

Low level management keep up the great work. Upper management beware of losing experienced staff for lack of recognition. Keep on track with making great decisions to progress this great company.

"RN Case Manager"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The patients are wonderful! Professional coworkers share a true compassion and care for the patients!

Cons

Supervisors are micromanagers and constantly demean the professional staff! Recently changed company name and website address to avoid bad reviews.

Advice to Management

Show the same care and compassion that you expect the professional staff to provide the patients. Stop micromanaging and bullying the nurses causing more stress, resulting in an unprofessional, negative, and toxic environment. Wake up! Its not the employees!

"Wonderful people and service provided by co workers...in spite of upper managements micromanaging."

Current Employee - Hospice Social Worker in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Hospice Social Worker in Claremont, CA

I have been working at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great patient service provided; wonderful co workers.

Cons

Upper administration is extremely rigid and micromanaging.

Advice to Management

Please, trust your employees to be professionals...there will always be individuals who are poor employees, cheating the system...that's why you have supervisors and annual reviews! When policy is created from every ridiculous employee low life screw up-you divide us all by the lowest denominator! It's demoralizing to be treated as children...we are highly skilled professionals working in a difficult field, requiring all of our emotional reserves...can't you just trust that we will do the right thing...?