VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2019

2.6
VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California CEO Marsha Fox (no image)
Marsha Fox
  1. "Great Place to Work"

5.0

Pros

The company has improved over the past several years. This company is a great place to work. The benefits are good and the pay is reasonable. Management supports the staff and manages operations in an ethical manner. The patients are well cared for. I am so proud of the quality care the VNA So Cal lets us provide to the patients.

Cons

Hours can be long due to the nursing shortage. However, the company is always good about recruiting for staff.

"Stagnant low wage"

Current Employee - CNA/HHA in Upland, CA

I have been working at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Patient care, independence, employee camaraderie,

Cons

After many years with the company over 5yrs i only got a 2% raise. Due to low hourly wage I don't feel valued for what I do. I have to work overtime to make what others just entering are making. It's a nonprofit company with past budgeting issues. Even mileage is less than IRS average. I just want a fair wage. Maybe it's time to go!

"Worst Place Ever"

Former Employee - Administrative in Claremont, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Patient care is really the only great thing about working at VNA ....

Cons

Long term employees are not valued, low paying wages, administrative staff has horrible attitude and are not professional, upper management is unworthy and useless, no growth within the organization, over worked staff, no proper training for job success, company values are not ever met, no wonder so many great employees have left.

"Supervisor"

5.0

Pros

Management team has really stepped up to make this agency worth staying for.

Cons

There are still changes happening but they are to improve the overall agency

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upland, CA

I have been working at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time for more than a year

Pros

In my opinion, management has been very fair and supportive. They recognize people when they work hard and they also recognize individuals that do not. The work environment feels like family. People do not mind if you need help. Pay is good and also VNA is non profit so they allow more opportunities to help patients and families.

Cons

There have been some lay offs due to changes in company and contracts. Some good people were let go. However SOME of the individuals they have let go appeared to be the ones that were not doing their job well.

"Worst Place I Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The staff truly care about one another, where management clearly does not care. Employee recognition from employee to employee was awesome! The location is great with access to the metrolink and lots of great shops/restaurants in Claremont.

Cons

The management was the absolute worst. The CEO, CFO and VPs were constantly out on LOA, sick or vacation. This behavior was not acceptable by non-management staff. Additionally, when they were in the office, they were in very nice catered lunch meetings. Any additional food was packed up so it could be taken home to their families and not offered to staff. Also, a yearly raffle was held and often management won the big prizes. Some of the management were given company cars and they could be seen running errands in them during the weekend. All the desk and chairs non-management got were used and broken down - management always got brand new ones. Outside of the selfishness, management ruled with an 'iron fist' and were flat-out rude. They was micromanagement across all departments. The CEO literally opened every piece of mail sent to the organization instead of managing the staff. When in the office, the CEO would stare out of the windows to catch employees coming in late. The Home Health management team was known to talk over staff and undermine other departments. The CFO on many occasions walked off of site to the Claremont Village before lunch and was never seen until an hour before his time to go home. Human Resources was the hiring and firing team, nothing else. The pay and benefits were terrible! Some years no raises were given and others a 3% max, even when one reduced costs and streamlined other processes. The retirement plan offered very poor choices for investments. For being a health organization, the insurance was VERY expensive out of pocket. So much so, that my family opted to go to Kaiser directly to pay significantly less in premiums. If you were not an RN or manager, you were treated poorly. It often felt like RNs could do no bad. I understand they are 'bringing in the money'; however, favoritism creates a poor work environment. I felt really bad for the Businesses Development team, administrative staff and IT department.

Continue reading

"Wonderful clients, poor management."

Former Employee - Private Duty HHA in Claremont, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California part-time for more than a year

Pros

The clients I got to take care of were always nice and the families were great. I rarely had any problems.

Cons

The people in the office are relentless when it comes to trying to get you to accept a job. It doesn't seem to matter to them if you have to drive 3 miles or 30 miles. They guilt trip you into taking clients, even after you tell them you can't. If you have a full time job and use this place as a second job, beware. They would call me early in the morning when I was still asleep (I worked nights at my full time job) and they'd call me while I was at work. They'll call you 8 or 9 times and then text you if you don't get back to them right away.

"So Disappointed"

2.0

I have been working at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California

Pros

Some co-workers are real team players, love the patients and the families, Non-profit, get to provide a lot more than most hospices would to a family

Cons

We are not micro managed. Our new manager could care less the shape our location is in. Some people are allowed to give 40% and others are expected to pick up that slack all the time. She herself cares more about her paycheck than any of us.

Continue reading

"Management Team Difficult to work with"

Former Employee - Community Liaison in Claremont, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was decent, close to home, the position was one that made you feel good about what you were doing at the end of the day.

Cons

No creativity, their way was the only way.if you want to be micromanaged, this is the place for you. A very high turn over.

"LCSW"

Hospice Social Worker in Redlands, CA

I worked at VNA Hospice & Palliative Care of Southern California for more than a year

Pros

enjoyed colleagues i worked with

Cons

no where to move up in company, RAISE FREEZE for SEVEN YEARS

Found 23 reviews