VOICE Charter School Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
VOICE Charter School Principal Franklin Headley
Franklin Headley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great School to Learn and Grow"

Former Employee - Elementary Classroom Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Elementary Classroom Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at VOICE Charter School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The school has a major emphasis on collaboration, particularly within grade teams. As a new teacher, I felt extremely supported by the members of my team and learned a tremendous amount about writing curriculum and delivering instruction from them. Collaboration among teachers makes coming to work each day pleasant and also drives forward our planning, implementation, and reflection on curriculum. Particularly in the lower grades, no classroom or teacher is an "island," working alone. There is a very friendly culture among teachers/staff etc. and a feeling that we are all working together.

There are many opportunities for growth and development, even for newer teachers, such as opportunities to lead your grade team or participate in the selection of new teachers.

The student body is extremely diverse and many parents are very involved.

The emphasis on music education is very unique, the music teachers are really phenomenal, and the concerts are a wonderful way to celebrate all that the students have learned.

The administration seeks feedback and is interested in making changes for improvement.

Cons

VOICE has been a "growing" school, with a new grade added each year. This growth has been challenging with people taking on new roles, new curriculum being built each year, and shifts from less formal policies and procedures to more formalization. 8th grade was added in the 2015-2016 year, so some of the growing pains may subside in the coming years.

Administration asks a lot from teachers, including writing curriculum, holding many team meetings, and following a lot of different policies and procedures. It can be hard to keep track of everything and it can sometimes feel overwhelming. While there is a lot of informal coaching and support within grade teams, some teachers express a desire for more formal coaching.

"Classroom/Office Assistant"

I worked at VOICE Charter School full-time

Pros

- Experience in the classroom
    - Ability to volunteer for extra hours (more pay)
    - Strong music program for students
    - Many teachers in the process of furthering their own education and obtaining advanced degrees

Cons

- High teacher turnover
    - High Classroom assistant turnover
    - Lack of sensitivity and understanding regarding issues of diversity and inclusion
    - Not respectful of classroom assistants - student are not taught to respect them and we were often asked to do things that were not a part of our job description i.e. shoveling snow/ice and cleaning the cafeteria between lunch periods
    - Classroom assistants are expected to spend the most time with students without proper support

Advice to Management

Reconsider behavior management strategies, Love & Logic is not effective with all groups of students especially in the higher grades.

"Solid intermediary step in education"

Current Employee - Classroom/Office Assistant
    Current Employee - Classroom/Office Assistant

I have been working at VOICE Charter School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is listening to employees and trying to make positive changes; lots of professional support for those who want to become teachers; pathways for those who want more student support or admin related roles; great staff

Cons

Longer work day, poor ventilation in the school, not much space in the buildings (e.g. no teachers lounge or dedicated space for staffs to work and relax during their breaks or preps as many specials classes are push into the classroom)

Advice to Management

Do your best to find a space that can be used for teachers to eat/chat/work quietly during preps. Perhaps a room on the third floor that is always closed off?

4. "Assistant"

I worked at VOICE Charter School full-time

Pros

Great Staff that are always willing to help if you ask.

Cons

Constantly changing policies and staff

Advice to Management

Appreciate your wonderful staff more

"Caveat Emptor"

Pros

Top notch coworkers who are extremely supportive.

Cons

1. During my time at voice I was witness to a lack of planning that resulted in many last minute projects being a regular thing. Management would often decide on a new policy, assign the teachers to design and implement it, and then decide it wasn't working a few weeks later. This resulted in hours upon hours of extra work, including weekends.
    2. The job description is a bait and switch.
    3. Management often treats staff rudely and unprofessionally.
    4. Be prepared to work both 11-hour days as well Sundays.
    5. Asking questions is frowned upon.
    6. Health plan is not helpful.

Advice to Management

Be honest, treat employees with respect

"Not a good place to work"

Pros

Interesting concept of dual-immersion teaching.

Cons

No training whatsoever. They ask a lot more of you than provided in your job description. Everything is last minute.

Advice to Management

Train your employees better and plan ahead.

"Lack of support and development"

I worked at VOICE Charter School full-time

Pros

Watching the students perform in the concerts during the year and seeing them perform at different venues

Cons

Lack of development, some staff feels that they are not listened to or supported.

Advice to Management

Really listen and support staff members

8. "Learning experience"

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist/English - Spanish Translator in Long Island City, NY

Pros

Staff was friendly and helpful across the board. Organization of materials, brief descriptive introduction to computer programs used by staff and flawless teamwork made my days run smoothly.

Cons

I had no negative experiences in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Continue the positive reinforcement that appears to keep everyone productive and in good spirits.

9. "Assistant"

Current Employee - Assistant in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at VOICE Charter School full-time

Pros

Nice colleagues and tuition benefits

Cons

The school system is fairly new and still growing

"VOICE is a caring community."

Current Employee - Teacher in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at VOICE Charter School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the past 5 years, I have been a VOICE classroom teacher. I have had the opportunity to work with some of the most amazing people I have ever met. Every teacher cares for and values their students and their school. We meet regularly to design a curriculum that both fosters independence and nurtures growth. We believe in our students and they always come first.
     I have the support of my administration in my ongoing pursuit of excellence as a teacher. They often find professional development opportunities for me to increase my effectiveness. They push me to reach heights I never thought possible.
    At my school, I feel a part of something bigger. We are a family. We know each other, we care for each other, and we grow together. When people visit our school, the first thing they usually mention is the sincere sense of community. We are all in this together to help our students achieve the greatness that is inside all of them.

Cons

Because we design our own lessons, finding the time to do everything can be stressful, but it’s worth it.