VSCO Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

VSCO Co-Founder and CEO Joel Flory
Joel Flory

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VSCO is rare in that it genuinely cares about its employees. It's not just lip service. Everything from the way stock is structured, to vacation time, to perks, to the 1-1 conversations you have with the managers and leadership team really proves it.

In addition to that, the biggest pros are:

- Phenomenal leadership team.
    - Focus on building a sustainable business.
    - Talented, friendly, and humble coworkers.
    - Competitive pay, benefits, not to mention the awesome food.
    - Opportunities to grow in your career, which is rare in my experience among young companies.

Cons

The only thing worth mentioning is that the time and cost of large projects are underestimated. There are lots of big, exciting projects being worked on, but some of them don't receive the attention/resources they need to be successful within the allotted timeframe. It's not a huge problem in my opinion, but it's something worth keeping an eye on.

Advice to Management

Thanks for all your hard work. VSCO has a bright future ahead of it thanks to your leadership. You are my heroes.

"Pains felt in engineering department"

I worked at VSCO full-time

Pros

- The people are humble, very down to earth and nice. Every coworker could be a friend you'd want to hang out with after work
    - Leadership makes effort to hear from you
    - Office is beautiful
    - Delicious lunches
    - Lax policy on working from home even though most people opt to be in the office

Cons

- Engineering salary not competitive
    - No matching on 401k
    - Management/leadership especially in engineering is lackluster
    - Leadership makes effort to hear from you but whether or not anything actionable comes out of it is questionable. Engineering retrospectives don't appear to change. Lots of talking and less acting. No one is held accountable for change here.
    - Product design process is not great. Not enough testing and emphasis on user experience. Not enough collaboration between engineering, design and product together from the get go.
    - Felt like an engineer was at the end of the product process and was there to build products. Our opinion was not weighed as much as other teams. This fact has been acknowledged in the company but change has been slow.

Advice to Management

Product design process needs to be rethought and a more serious process needs to be outlined. Don't leave it up to the product managers to lead the process however they feel is correct for their individual projects/features. Worked with various product managers and some had better processes for group collaboration than others. A good process should be shared between all product managers. Have engineers in the room from the early stages of a product idea.

VSCO Response

Oct 4, 2016 – VP, People Operations

Thank you for your perspective and feedback - we're listening and are actively taking steps to set the team up to be the most impactful (across product, engineering, design - and operations ... More

"Great People, Great Place, Great Leadership"

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is on point, pay is competitive, the people are great.
    Phenomenal free food included every day.
    Interesting technical challenges!

Cons

No 401k match.
    There is sometimes a disconnect between engineering and design, and occasionally there are a litany of unneeded meetings.

"I love working at VSCO"

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you care about visual art like I do there aren't many other places like VSCO that are genuinely dedicated to it and that successful at it. VSCO is a company that has discovered its identity and purpose, and the users have responded.

The project is awesome and very ambitious.

The execs are pretty low key and not egotistic, which is huge in my book. Notice how they don't their face and bio on the company website? How awesome is that. VSCO aims to be a very employee oriented company and they mean it.

It's a young company so there is a wealth of opportunity for people joining now.

The benefits are great.

Incredible work environment, from the amazing office, the food, the perks, the benefits, the project, the quality of the people.

The downtown oakland location works great for me.

Cons

What makes VSCO great come at a price: It's still a young company with long term uncertainties, things change very quickly which can be unsettling for some people.

The location works for me but can be an issue if you leave in SF or the peninsula. Downtown Oakland is still "transitioning"...

Salaries are good but not industry top.

Advice to Management

Keep at it, it's amazing company and culture you are building.

"Great Company with Awesome Culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

Pros

- Great company culture
    - Lots of room to grow
    - Inspiring atmosphere
    - Awesome food

Cons

- Work/life balance could be hard

"It"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time

Pros

1. Company Culture — People are down to earth, hardworking and humble. They really follow through with the "Can I have a beer with this person?" hiring criteria. There's real camaraderie.
    2. Leadership — They're the main factor for #1. After working for selfish and arrogant people in the past, it's night and day. Even when you make mistakes, they don't chew you out or flip out. They're calm, measured, and reasonable and it's brought the best out of me. I've never worked harder and loved doing it.
    3. Food and drink selection — In-house kitchen, top notch chef. Coffee, beer on tap and all the healthy snakes you could ask for.
    4. Technical Challenges — Lots of interesting problems to be solved.
    5. Career Mobility — There's a lot of flexibility on what you get work on.
    6. Beautiful Office — It's like a art museum. Joel is a architecture-phile, so the office is just zen.
    7. Impact — VSCO has a lot of respect in the art and photography community and it's amazing to meet people for the first time and you tell them you work here and they're blown away and go on about how much they love the company, not just the app. I've always worked a B2Bs before and have never experienced anything like this.
    8. Oakland — The city has come a long way from when I was a kid. This would have definitely been a con before I started spending time here.

Cons

1. Process — There's still a lot of process that's being developed. So typical growing pains from a small company to mid-sized.
    2. Design Separation — Most of the design team is in New York, so there's a bit left to be desired in terms of communication.

Advice to Management

Don't try to do everything, stay focused (product-wise). Increase the amount of communication opportunities between design and engineering.

8. "Massively ambitious"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People really care about what we're working on, and about empowering artists.
    It feels more like a creative movement than a startup that is just building value to be acquired.
    If you want to own a project, it's yours.
    Good work/life balance.
    Low-ego engineers.

Cons

Still iterating on programming methodology.
    Growing fast.
    Lots and lots of work to do, but that's good also.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Stick to your ideals. Don't sell out. Don't compromise.

9. "Meaningful mission, great balance"

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flat Hierarchy, everybody is on the same level including the executives.
    - Employees are highly valued, you will be treated great. Great food.
    - Fun and creative, but never selling out on principles
    - Quickly growing user base

Cons

Somewhat chaotic because of the lack of strong hierarchy. You need to have some level of initiative to get things done. This can make things stressful if you don't like juggling multiple projects.

Advice to Management

Spend more resources on making the engineering process more streamlined.

"I've worked at a lot of startups and VSCO is by far the best experience of them all"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

Pros

- Excellent balance for creative and technical work
    - Build something that people truly love
    - Company treats you like family

Cons

VSCO is growing fast so people who don't enjoy an environment that rapidly changing may not enjoy it here

Advice to Management

- Keep valuing your employees
    - Keep making sure that employees have a sense of ownership so that they take pride in their work
    - Keep allowing employees to have a voice and cater to the different ways each employee is comfortable in expressing that voice

"I feel lucky to work at VSCO."

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I genuinely like my team and everyone in the company with few exceptions are amazing. The engineers are pretty big bad-asses, and we have very high ambitions, and super high standards for our work.

The food is pretty great. I almost only eat at work.

Cons

The issues that insanely fast growing companies have like scaling the engineering work flow and methodology when the team doubles in size every 4 months.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Keep sticking to your principles. It keeps us different and makes all the hard work worth it.