VSP Vision Care Customer Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
VSP Vision Care President Kate Renwick-Espinosa
Kate Renwick-Espinosa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work/life balance, professional development" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great benefits, medical dental & vision" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Supervisor Title is the same classification and salary band whether you manage a call center team, analyst team, or developer team" (in 8 reviews)

• "Self-serving children occupy the upper management of this company" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at VSP Vision Care as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never had a more helpful group of supervisors that want you to succeed and give you every tool you need to set you up to be successful. I have no complaints. EVERYONE here is happy to come to work everyday and you are surrounded by professional people who reach out to help you whenever needed, whether it be a coworker, a team member, or your supervisor they are ALWAYS there. There isn't a better feeling in life than loving and enjoying to come to work everyday, and serve our members while working for an outstanding company. I couldn't be any happier.
    If you are struggling in an area, the supervisors make sure you get the coaching needed to become a better rep, and a better "you". It truly is a blessing.

Cons

The pay could always be better no matter where you go, but it is pretty competitive, and I have no complaints. Although the health benefits could be better since there is no longer an HMO PLAN FOR MEDICAL. But other than those little things, the company is amazing.

Advice to Management

I have not been here long enough to have an opinion other than when you express interest in a position, your supervisor will set up a plan for you to work towards to reach any goals you have for advancement. If you reach out to your supervisor they are right there by you side to help you become successful!

2. "Not bad for a call center"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at VSP Vision Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay ...top notch benefits....great staff...lots of food...great work environment

Cons

Shift bid sucks...payroll hours are manually submitted by the employee on a timesheet and I don't see why this has not been upgraded with all the technology available today.

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at VSP Vision Care (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Facility, Great Cafe, Great Training!

Cons

I started in peak season and literally couldn't take breaths in between calls. I felt like a dog on a leash with my headset and cubicle. Once training was over I really had to fend for myself, the floor was so busy other co workers were not really available to help and the supervisors have such big teams it was kind of a sink or swim method there.

"Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Whitehall, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Whitehall, OH

I worked at VSP Vision Care (Less than a year)

Pros

It's one of the greatest companies you could ever work for and great pay good for a career

Cons

Nothing bad to say about this company at all

"Consider the pros and cons of applying carefully"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

Great opportunites for advancement in a highly competitve enviroment. Ability to move in as soon as 6 months from hire date

Cons

Major Con: Benefits, specifically medical. Starting Jan 2016, VSP no longer offers an HMO option for insurance. All plans are High Deductible. Great if you have no medical conditions that require regular doctors office visits or multiple medications you're essentially paying for everything out of pocket until your deductible is met and if by chance you don't have enough office visits that qualify you to meet your deductible then you are paying full price for office visits as well as medication each year what's the benefit of having insurance? You'll never build up and hsa savings if you're constantly having to use it to cover your office visits and your medications deductible plans are only good for those individuals who maybe go to the doctor once or twice a year

Advice to Management

Most employees wouldn't mind paying higher premiums for HMO plans if it meant smaller out of pocket cost for their office visits and co pays for medications

"Vision Care Advisor"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at VSP Vision Care full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great fellow employees, Cake Day, Every call is different and the day goes by quickly.

Cons

VSP replaces higher paid employees with temp employees. They are constantly changing program software and policies and procedures, Computers would go down daily, especially after updates.

Advice to Management

If you don't want to pay the higher paid employees and replace them with temps you should offer them to negotiate their salary rather than force them into early retirement or set higher expectations of them so you can terminate them .

"Good Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at VSP Vision Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful Supervisor, Good Pay, Good Benefits, Cake Day, Customer Service Week, and Co-Workers

Cons

Volt! The WORST thing that has EVER happened to VSP! It's time to go back to the days of the call center simulation test and good old fashioned in person interviews.

Advice to Management

My advice to the powers that be who do the hiring of call center supervisors, MAKE THEM GO THROUGH THE SAME TRAINING A CSR GOES THROUGH SO THEY CAN APPRECIATE THE AMOUNT OF KNOWLEDGE WE ACTUALLY RETAIN AND SO THEY CAN TAKE OVER SOME OF THE RIDICULOUS CALLS WE GET FROM TIME TO TIME! MAYBE, just maybe we will get a little more respect....

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA

I worked at VSP Vision Care (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, some good Supervisors, and convenient location.

Cons

I worked for VSP for 8 years. First few years under older management were great, newer management started a spiral for the company. Decided to go global, and that is when the you know what hit the fan. Work Force Management was implemented, suddenly the values that kept VSP as one of the better companies to work for went down hill. Insurance is very complicated and in this call center environment you never know what the next call will be. The Work Force Management that was implemented was basically a way to sift out the more tenured employees. Anybody, who reads this will know that insurance is very complicated, when a client, customer or provider calls the call center they almost always are requesting information on how, where and how much is this going to cost me to use this insurance. We use to have ample time to explain (pre workforce management implementation) all the aspects of using the insurance. With the new program implementation that time was cut in half, yet VSP was still expecting you to hit all the key info notes on using the insurance. This is what finished me with this company.

Advice to Management

I hope you will reflect on all the good employees you let go, and use it as a means to go forward as opposed to backwards. You have some great employees now don't ruin it with your greed to fill your own pockets. Roger Levine never would have let this happen.

9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at VSP Vision Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Very indepth training. Open door policy. Great pay.

Cons

the customer service department is very busy in January and February. At times the callers in queue is over 200.

Advice to Management

Management is great

"Stressful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

Pros

Cake day and very friendly atmosphere

Cons

The company doesn't hire directly so you have to go thru a temp agency. At the end of four months you're supposed to know if they're going to hire you on or not but that hasn't been the case. Some training classes along with mine have yet to hear about our hiring status. At this point its either your in, out, or given a 30 day extension.

Advice to Management

Direct honesty is the key