VTech Electronics North America Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Allan Wong Chi Yun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to be"

Pros

Great company to work for - happy employees, some schedule flexibility (varies by department), fun activities throughout the year, professional development provided

Cons

Less than desirable office space, but the company is actively seeking to address that

2. "Not a nice place to work"

Former Contractor - Account in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Contractor - Account in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at VTech Electronics North America as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of ppl are decent

Cons

I worked there for 6 months, temp in acct. You are definitely considered an outsider, because of the lack of room, you are pu t off into a little corner where you usually are ignored and definitely not a part of the team. And there seems to be a different working with certain ppl in the acct Dept, continued mistakes seemed to be no big deal to the acct Dept. Seems to be more socializing than doing the job correctly. Ppl cover others mistakes and management has no idea what s happening day to day. There's one person there seems to sabotage because she makes constant mistakes, she doesn't want anyone to notice so she intentionally messes with your work. You constantly waste time doing thing over, re checking stuff, because you can not trust who you work with there's a lack of experience within the acct Dept but that doesn't seem to matter.

Advice to Management

Treat ppl the way you wish to be treated. Take a day to day interest in what's going on behind the scenes. Ask questions, how is it going, how are things working. Hire more experienced ppl that know what they're doing to avoid problems with missing invoices, messed up check runs, wasting time, hours reviewing stuff, re entering, un doing things. Tha should not be time consuming because ppl can't trust co worker they are working with. Know what's going on in your own Dept so ppl hate coming to work and end up quitting. I. Not giving this company any ratings because I would not advise anyone to work there and the management really sucks as far as what's going on in this own Dept, not all but definitely accounting

"IT Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at VTech Electronics North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

very supportive company culture, the company seems to be moving in the right direction

Cons

somewhat limited opportunities in some departments to advance

4. "Mixed Bag"

I worked at VTech Electronics North America full-time

Pros

Forefront of children's educational entertainment.

Cons

High rate of employee turnover.

"Strongly Reconsider Working at Vtech"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at VTech Electronics North America (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits they offered were pretty good. The 401k match and paid time off were reasonable to above average when compared to industry standards.

Cons

Where do I start...

Systems - Vtech runs a major ERP system. But the way that they integrated it, at least into the supply chain and customer service functions, has resulted in a never ending cycle of inefficiencies. The piecemeal processes underscore Vtech's incredible turnover rate. From day-to-day transactions to major projects, you will immediately feel as though you're working in a system that was started by employee A, added to by employee B, amended by employee C, etc, etc. There is no logical workflow, because nobody can stick it out long enough to structure it. Your typical week at Vtech will involve long days/nights and unfathomable frustration.

Management - Vtech tries to bring in good people. There are an abundance of degrees, both bachelor and graduate level. However, Vtech North America is not managed by the leadership group domestically. All decisions are made by the corporate headquarters in Hong Kong. The stress and frustration that this structure places on management, trickles down quickly. Which brings me to my next point...

Culture - Being managed by a group of Chinese executives that have never met you, is a lot like you'd think it would be. You're essentially a number, and the company culture reflects this detachment. I have never worked in, or heard of a workplace that was so filled with fear, frustration and contempt. In my two years working as a supply chain "business analyst", I saw over half of the entire company turnover. In a roughly 60-person office, nearly 40 people had quit or been fired from the time I was hired to the day I gave my notice. The turnover rate was so outrageously high, that it actually became a joke among the employees. People would save phone lists and cross names off as people dropped out. In a years time you'd be looking at a company directory riddled with scratched off names. I would ballpark the average term of employment somewhere between 12-18 months during the time I worked there.

Advice to Management

You guys are beyond advice. Leadership fire sale? I don't know. Vtech's systems and culture are so far from the mark that its hard to know where to begin. I am a supply chain professional, not a corporate heart surgeon.

6. "Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at VTech Electronics North America full-time

Pros

HR run from Oregon with a progressive employee friendly mentality. Summer hours are great, work an extra 30 minutes M-R and leave early on Friday during the Summer is great. More company recognized holidays than "normal". General feel from the company is positive and outlook for the future is good.

Cons

Some of the management could be stronger with better understanding of the business and processes. Hong Kong can tie your hands too much and limit what you can do because they don't want to give up control to the US.

"It was a good opportunity to learn a lot of things as things were not very organized."

Pros

You learn to find out solutions on your own which gives you a great experience to be problem solver and a leader.

Cons

The management is very ad hoc, doesn't not have a long term vision and hence does not give you specific goals.

Advice to Management

More trust, more delegation,

"Beware of Hong Kong management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at VTech Electronics North America full-time

Pros

The US team is great to work with. Everyone is helpful and supportive. Compensation and benefits are good.

Cons

Hong Kong is compulsively hands-on and cares very little about real experience from US employees. Despite being removed from the market they feel they know it better than those working in it everyday. So much time is wasted on work that ultimately gets overridden by the overseas team.

The Marketing team is grossly understaffed. Hong Kong gets frustrated that our competition has much stronger market awareness, yet they are content with a marketing department of only 2 personnel.

Advice to Management

You have a great opportunity with your team in the US. Either invest in them and see your US presence rapidly grow, or take the entire business back to Hong Kong since you seem to feel like you can do everything better anyway.

"Poor management, poor treatment of employees at VTech Kids"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I worked at VTech Electronics North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work in the learning division is varied

Cons

Employees are treated sub par, expected to work very long hours, get berated by upper management and in the area I worked in I was exposed to environmental hazards. There is an I don't give a darn attitude toward one's concerns and most suggestions are thrown on to the scrap heap.

Advice to Management

Learn some Western world better practices, learn how to treat employees as people, not disposable
    pieces, listen up to what the employees are trying to tell you, don't expect workers stateside to have the same standards as those in Asia.

10. "Good place to learn"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at VTech Electronics North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Richmond BC office is really family-oriented. They have a kids Christmas party plus the regular office Christmas party. The work atmosphere also feels like a big family. Company BBQs, monthly socials. Software Engineers have a lot of freedom to explore various things, from low-level to high-level software. Good place to learn if you are able to learn by yourself and apply it to the project. There are also trainings once in a while. Good work-life balance.

Cons

The technology used is a bit dated (for low-cost products), never cutting-edge. A lot of the big decisions are driven by the Hong Kong headquarters, which sometimes don't make sense here.

Advice to Management

Should enforce real focal reviews for all employees.