VWR Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
VWR President and Chief Executive Officer Manuel Brocke-Benz
Manuel Brocke-Benz

Pros
Cons
  • Communication gaps in upper management, affecting lower levels adversely (in 13 reviews)

• Micro Management, needs work on work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move up within the company. Great atmosphere to work in. Flexibility & good benefits.

Cons

Not really any cons. I'm a long time employee & have seen a lot of change. While it seems like a negative at first, it usually turns out positive.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the employees engaged & informed. We've come a long way as a company.

2. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Lab Support Technician in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Lab Support Technician in Malvern, PA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for VWR, is the ability to learn different skill from different dept,

Cons

I have worked for VWR for 1 1/2 years. I really cant find any cons to this job.

Advice to Management

I have seen many employee go off to management positions.

3. "DFS Buyer"

Current Employee - Buyer in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Radnor, PA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you work in the corporate office the hours are extremely flexible. The DFS team works from home one day per week. Get to set hours within reason.

Cons

People are very judgmental. The company cares more about hiring individuals with college degrees rather than promoting from within and moving up people that have years of company experience.

Advice to Management

Try to not focus so much on hiring inexperienced people just because they have a college degree. There are so many very experienced people that deserve to be promoted. One woman I worked with that was with the company over 13 years stated she went to an interview that was set up by HR and the Manager told her, "I'm not going to waste our time, you don't have a degree, so I'm not going to bother." It seems as though the company does not care about losing good, hard working employees. The most important thing of all is they should stop outsourcing to India!! My day consisted of doing nothing but fixing India's mistakes. They do a terrible job and they are not held accountable. If they did a good job it would make sense, but they don't. Why pay two salaries to get a job done, when you can pay someone in the US to get the job done right the first time.

5. "Job satisfaction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working here or last 1 year as analyst. Although recruiting process was lengthy but it is worth the wait. My supervisor is nice, salary is competitive, you get yearly bonus and at our facility fruit delivery twice weekly.

Cons

Have not experienced any so far.

Advice to Management

have not experienced any so far

"good people bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the people that work there are good people and hard working and dedicated

Cons

management sucks they don't care about the employees only to make themselves look good to there bosses. the sealing is low and not much room for growth

Advice to Management

learn to respect the people that work for you and treat them like people not slaves

7. "Senior Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, flexible schedule, good support from Customer Service, good products and customers. The work was interesting and varied.

Cons

Low pay is a huge de-motivator. Poor management at lower levels. Manager revolving door which leads to management accountability issues. Some bosses do not care about you at all personally and are only interested in their numbers and personal career advancement. It is difficult to get promoted from within. The same few people seem to be able to move around within the company while others are stuck in dead-end jobs. I have also had bosses lie to me about vacation, salary, position title...

Advice to Management

Be careful who you place in lower management positions. A good boss understands that if his/her people do well, he/she will do well. Employees know when a boss is only interested in their own personal gain & does not care for them. Do not lie to your employees. Stating that sales reps do not get vacation is not only incorrect as far a company policy goes (I had to ask HR) - it is illegal! Pay fairly and in line with comparable jobs in the employees work area.

"Company Review"

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Facility is beautiful, free fruit & hot beverages, fitness center, intelligent colleagues who are willing to teach you so you can learn a lot, ESOP available, 401k available. Healthy lifestyle programs offered.

Benefits offered are broad but top offering was removed from the pick list.

Cons

Only the few chosen ones get to advance, no work/life balance, micro-managers, each department and team operates at the whim of its management.

Some management has been around their entire careers and know nothing but VWR.

High turnover. One year anniversary list of associates is always plentiful, but after that only a few remain for any period of time.

Increase in benefit costs has outpaced the yearly raise year after year and top medical benefit plan dropped from plans you can choose from due to cost to company.

PTO is, at best, average.

Advice to Management

Clean out your stale management team, bring in outside people who can bring fresh ideas and perspectives.

"Worst company in the world"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at VWR (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing. This company is not a place anyone should work for. There are no positive comments I can honestly say about this company.

Cons

Where do I start. This company does NOT care about you or anybody. If you have an emergency and are laying in the hospital they will write you up for an unexcused absence. The supervisor and the manager at the suwanee facility are unprofessional, uneducated and they won't care about you. All they care is a about customers. This company has a number system in which you have to achieve 100% everyday. If you reach 99% you will get written up. This number is so hard to achieve. They will suddenly change your schedule without notice, if you have kids and a family they don't care. They will try to strong arm you into believing they told you that overtime is mandatory which they have never mentioned it to you before the hiring. Personally I heard them lie to a candidate to their face saying we don't work overtime. Since I started 6 months ago every day we have overtime and we have to work Saturdays too. The manager will never help the employees he will hide and stare at you via his window in this office or he will hide next to some products and watch you! It is really creepy. He will stare for 1hr or more. I caught him staring at employees multiple times. The supervisors instead of helping they will be playing soduku in the office and when you have a question they don't know how to work it because they are not trained on the part they supervise at. Example: receiving supervisor does not not how to receive the products, but yet he will write you up if you don't have 100% in numbers, and he will coach you. I have 0 errors in receiving since I started but they don't care about that they rather you be at 100% EP which is a labor management system that counts your daily work. HR IS A JOKE AS WELL. THEY DON'T HELP YOU IN ANY WAY.
    DON'T WORK HERE

Advice to Management

Get new managers and supervisors at the suwanee facility. Get rid of number and care about employees first

10. "Good place to work IF in the right department"

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Radnor, PA

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule for the most part and good employees

Cons

Horrible management. They hire unqualified managers just to fill the seat. Feel they need to promote up because they have been in the organization for x years not because they are qualified. No processes or processes improvement. As an organization they need to learn to work smarter not harder.

Advice to Management

Dont hire people for management just because of tenure. Please look into quality and value the potential manager can bring.

11. "Sales Rep Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Representative Intern in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative Intern in Ithaca, NY

Pros

Great boss, flexible hours, learned a lot!

Cons

Cornell's campus is huge, so had to walk in the winter to get to all buildings

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!