VWR Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
VWR President and Chief Executive Officer Manuel Brocke-Benz
Manuel Brocke-Benz

Cons

1. ""We enable science"...by running the employee in to the ground"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k company match (after 3 months hired), good fellow employees

Cons

Run in to the floor for pay not adequate, only care about reaching "numbers" , no advancement

Advice to Management

When an employee has proven (through your number system! ) that he/she wants to be pushed further and wants to learn more (to grow with in the company ); don't keep them simmering I'm a mule position where they are being used and expect them to want to stay. Don't give false promises and hang an apple in front of them when the apple can never be obtainable ( figuratively of course).
    The list goes on and on but I must walk now in the " we enable science " vortex some call hell or other now as VWR

"good people bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the people that work there are good people and hard working and dedicated

Cons

management sucks they don't care about the employees only to make themselves look good to there bosses. the sealing is low and not much room for growth

Advice to Management

learn to respect the people that work for you and treat them like people not slaves

"Senior Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, flexible schedule, good support from Customer Service, good products and customers. The work was interesting and varied.

Cons

Low pay is a huge de-motivator. Poor management at lower levels. Manager revolving door which leads to management accountability issues. Some bosses do not care about you at all personally and are only interested in their numbers and personal career advancement. It is difficult to get promoted from within. The same few people seem to be able to move around within the company while others are stuck in dead-end jobs. I have also had bosses lie to me about vacation, salary, position title...

Advice to Management

Be careful who you place in lower management positions. A good boss understands that if his/her people do well, he/she will do well. Employees know when a boss is only interested in their own personal gain & does not care for them. Do not lie to your employees. Stating that sales reps do not get vacation is not only incorrect as far a company policy goes (I had to ask HR) - it is illegal! Pay fairly and in line with comparable jobs in the employees work area.

"Worst company in the world"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at VWR (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing. This company is not a place anyone should work for. There are no positive comments I can honestly say about this company.

Cons

Where do I start. This company does NOT care about you or anybody. If you have an emergency and are laying in the hospital they will write you up for an unexcused absence. The supervisor and the manager at the suwanee facility are unprofessional, uneducated and they won't care about you. All they care is a about customers. This company has a number system in which you have to achieve 100% everyday. If you reach 99% you will get written up. This number is so hard to achieve. They will suddenly change your schedule without notice, if you have kids and a family they don't care. They will try to strong arm you into believing they told you that overtime is mandatory which they have never mentioned it to you before the hiring. Personally I heard them lie to a candidate to their face saying we don't work overtime. Since I started 6 months ago every day we have overtime and we have to work Saturdays too. The manager will never help the employees he will hide and stare at you via his window in this office or he will hide next to some products and watch you! It is really creepy. He will stare for 1hr or more. I caught him staring at employees multiple times. The supervisors instead of helping they will be playing soduku in the office and when you have a question they don't know how to work it because they are not trained on the part they supervise at. Example: receiving supervisor does not not how to receive the products, but yet he will write you up if you don't have 100% in numbers, and he will coach you. I have 0 errors in receiving since I started but they don't care about that they rather you be at 100% EP which is a labor management system that counts your daily work. HR IS A JOKE AS WELL. THEY DON'T HELP YOU IN ANY WAY.
    DON'T WORK HERE

Advice to Management

Get new managers and supervisors at the suwanee facility. Get rid of number and care about employees first

5. "Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Warehouse Material Handler in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Material Handler in Batavia, IL

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Popsicle's and Free food, shirts

Cons

Low pay, benefits are sub par. Management not engaged, HR and safety are poor. employees are not respected. Lack of direction, no leadership.

"So Disappointed"

Current Employee - Onsite Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Onsite Coordinator in San Diego, CA

Pros

The ability to work independently without a supervisor hoovering over my shoulder 8 hours a day, 5 days week .

Cons

Their health benefits are at the highest rate from all the other companies I worked for in the past. They deduct the Health Coverage every pay check. They automatically enroll you into a 401K with a 12% deduction at every pay check, On top of all the deductions we are deducted. Their pay rate for the state of California is so low, compared to the cost of living. They are so big, that everyone points the finger at everyone else for answers.

Advice to Management

If this company is grossing as much as you say you are. You should be able to pay 100% of health benefits, then maybe more people could afford to enroll into a 401K without breaking the bank. Or just give pay increases to certain cites and states that have a high cost of living. LIKE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!

"Region Sales Dir."

Former Employee - Region Sales Director in Montgomery, TX
    Former Employee - Region Sales Director in Montgomery, TX

I worked at VWR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a little autonomy.

Cons

This company has a pack mentality. Your either "One of the boys" or you get ousted. I was the number #2 Director in the company and got axed without any explanation. Work for Fisher instead they are ethical and pay more.

Advice to Management

Get rid of top sales management.

"Adminstrative Coordinator"

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Radnor, PA

I worked at VWR (Less than a year)

Pros

Work hours, direct supervisor communication, work life balance, day one benefits, wellness program on-site. Good co-workers. Company match 401k, employee stock option

Cons

Pay, micromanaged, impossible workload, no career advancement opportunities. HR is not professional. More tenured employees are incompetent. People fired for the smallest of things. High turnover rate

Advice to Management

Increase the pay for the all employees. Stop allowing your tenured employees call all the shots while management is hands off. Mid management is horrible and needs to be completely revamped.

"Do your research and ask questions"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Cambridge, MA

I worked at VWR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You receive a cell phone and computer when you start working for them and when you work at customer sites you get their benefits.

Cons

I unfortunately do not have much by way of the positive things to say about actually working for VWR. The job was not clear to me when I was hired. It actually changed multiple times in the course of the interview process. By the time I got here I was so confused to what my position was. Their benefits are terrible, from their health insurance to their commuter benefits I was again told one thing and then another thing happened. Management was so messed up that they had little direction. THEN when I finally felt comfortable in my role my manager decided that she didn't like me and therefore made my life miserable at work.

Advice to Management

Maybe get to know your employees and get your stories straight before you tell something to a person.

10. "Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are good hard working people.

Cons

It's all about metrics, what it ($$$$) looks like on paper. No career advancement discussions, just blanket goals for everyone, some of which might not even be possible due to location or position.
    Upper management has no visibility of front line operations and when they do they make things worse by making decisions without knowing the history of the site or client.
    Benefits and pay are lower than direct competitor. Frontline employees are under appreciated which leads to high turnover. Employees are rated on a 1 to 5 system. On a 5 point system 3 should be average and anything less should be below average . The highest rating I know of is a 3 and it was considered awesome. Most receive 2.4 - 2.7 which is considered average.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, raise salaries, and provide more career development not more blanket goals.