VWR Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "review"

I have been working at VWR full-time

Pros

it has flexible working hours

Cons

not a lot of compensations

"good people bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the people that work there are good people and hard working and dedicated

Cons

management sucks they don't care about the employees only to make themselves look good to there bosses. the sealing is low and not much room for growth

Advice to Management

learn to respect the people that work for you and treat them like people not slaves

"Senior Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, flexible schedule, good support from Customer Service, good products and customers. The work was interesting and varied.

Cons

Low pay is a huge de-motivator. Poor management at lower levels. Manager revolving door which leads to management accountability issues. Some bosses do not care about you at all personally and are only interested in their numbers and personal career advancement. It is difficult to get promoted from within. The same few people seem to be able to move around within the company while others are stuck in dead-end jobs. I have also had bosses lie to me about vacation, salary, position title...

Advice to Management

Be careful who you place in lower management positions. A good boss understands that if his/her people do well, he/she will do well. Employees know when a boss is only interested in their own personal gain & does not care for them. Do not lie to your employees. Stating that sales reps do not get vacation is not only incorrect as far a company policy goes (I had to ask HR) - it is illegal! Pay fairly and in line with comparable jobs in the employees work area.

"Worst company in the world"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at VWR (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing. This company is not a place anyone should work for. There are no positive comments I can honestly say about this company.

Cons

Where do I start. This company does NOT care about you or anybody. If you have an emergency and are laying in the hospital they will write you up for an unexcused absence. The supervisor and the manager at the suwanee facility are unprofessional, uneducated and they won't care about you. All they care is a about customers. This company has a number system in which you have to achieve 100% everyday. If you reach 99% you will get written up. This number is so hard to achieve. They will suddenly change your schedule without notice, if you have kids and a family they don't care. They will try to strong arm you into believing they told you that overtime is mandatory which they have never mentioned it to you before the hiring. Personally I heard them lie to a candidate to their face saying we don't work overtime. Since I started 6 months ago every day we have overtime and we have to work Saturdays too. The manager will never help the employees he will hide and stare at you via his window in this office or he will hide next to some products and watch you! It is really creepy. He will stare for 1hr or more. I caught him staring at employees multiple times. The supervisors instead of helping they will be playing soduku in the office and when you have a question they don't know how to work it because they are not trained on the part they supervise at. Example: receiving supervisor does not not how to receive the products, but yet he will write you up if you don't have 100% in numbers, and he will coach you. I have 0 errors in receiving since I started but they don't care about that they rather you be at 100% EP which is a labor management system that counts your daily work. HR IS A JOKE AS WELL. THEY DON'T HELP YOU IN ANY WAY.
    DON'T WORK HERE

Advice to Management

Get new managers and supervisors at the suwanee facility. Get rid of number and care about employees first

"Not a bad place if you can find your niche"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at VWR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable work environment (well, mostly). Good benefits. A lot of great coworkers with phenomenal attitudes who really are passionate about doing good work, keeping customers happy, and supporting the business. You are part of a big team, and there is a lot of support to get the job done. Finally - there is a lot of opportunity for lateral transfers and growth - if you meet the right people and can find the right path. ("If" being the important word there...)

Cons

There are a lot of people who have been with VWR for 10, 20, 30 years. In this day and age, there aren't many places where you can see that - but, that also means a lot of situations where you get the standard "well, I've been here for ____ years" and/or "well, that's just the VWR way". I'm sorry guys, I respect your experience but when you're in the bubble that long sometimes you start to forget that the rest of the world might be trying to do things a little differently.

Advice to Management

If you really believe in this "Team VWR" stuff then enable your employees to really act like a team and not have department/division goals conflict with one another. Allow the best qualified/best fit people do their best work and don't defer to tenure/title just because it's "just how we do things at VWR". Take advantage of the stability/experience of the staff but please, please, please challenge the status quo.

And, finally - please decide if it's all just about selling stuff or there really is more to offer to customers. And if there is more, give those teams some better tools/support.

6. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at VWR full-time

Pros

Nice office, good perks, near public transportation

Cons

Good place to work, not many cons

Advice to Management

Would like to incorporate a few days to work remotely

"Good place to work IF in the right department"

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Radnor, PA

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule for the most part and good employees

Cons

Horrible management. They hire unqualified managers just to fill the seat. Feel they need to promote up because they have been in the organization for x years not because they are qualified. No processes or processes improvement. As an organization they need to learn to work smarter not harder.

Advice to Management

Dont hire people for management just because of tenure. Please look into quality and value the potential manager can bring.

"great foot-in-the-door"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, potential to earn

Cons

you wear every hat in the company. not only are you supposed to sell product, but also be customer service, technical support, pricing management, business development, legal contract developer, and public speaker

9. "Local Buyer"

Pros

The other staff was very nice and they appreciate when their employees go above and beyond. VWR allowed me to come in at an entry level position with little experience and begin to learn the industry.

Cons

The opportunities for advancement were not very apparent. In many cases people viewed the job as a 9-5 without putting forth extra effort.

Advice to Management

I would recommend putting place more career development plans, especially for those employees that are at a high retention risk. This would help highlight the areas for career growth and provide a stable future vision for high performing talent.

10. "Buyer"

Pros

Calm work environment; interact with people

Cons

Limited opportunity for future growth