VWR Reviews | Glassdoor

VWR Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Communication gaps in upper management, affecting lower levels adversely (in 13 reviews)

• Micro Management, needs work on work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Radnor, PA

Pros

Positive atmosphere, no micro-managing, great benefits, wellness focused.

Cons

I think the only con is the location; it is located in a pricy area so it is difficult to live very close.

2. "Category Manager"

Former Employee - Category Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun products, and the people you get to know

Cons

a very corporate driven company, used to be about the people, now its about the investors

Advice to Management

don't forget about who got you where you are

"Could be worse"

Current Employee - Inventory Coordinator in Phoenixville, PA
    Current Employee - Inventory Coordinator in Phoenixville, PA

I have been working at VWR (More than a year)

Pros

Steady schedule which allows for good work-life balance. Salary is on par with others within the biotech industry.

Cons

Company tends to be a little behind the curve on innovating. Advancing your career here is a bit more difficult than it should be.

Advice to Management

Be more open to the voices within your company. There are those who have ideas but are not sharing because they feel that management can be tone deaf.

"Contract Administrator"

Former Employee - Coordinator, Contract Administrator in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Coordinator, Contract Administrator in Suwanee, GA

I worked at VWR (More than 8 years)

Pros

My department fell under Corporate and NOT operations. I was not micro managed. The pay was nice the benefits where good.

Cons

If you report fall under operations. Pray because if you where not apart of the reindeer games / in good with the politicians of the call center you could never advance within this company. It's all about who you know and who does or does not like you. If you enjoy being watched, being micro managed or being monitored during your shift then this is the perfect company to work for.

Advice to Management

Your not running a state prison.

6. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL

I have been working at VWR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of support from associates and management. True team sprit. Excellent product and procedure training.

Cons

Lots of micro managing. Every call is monitored. Due to high call volume, call time is critical. If you have a personality, you cannot show it on the phone to the customer. Need to be a robot.

7. "Sales Rep Intern"

Former Employee - Sales in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Sales in Auburn, AL

I worked at VWR (Less than a year)

Pros

All my coworkers were very helpful. I was given a lot of freedom, I could basically work as much as I could/wanted.

Cons

They went public and were not looking for another sales rep in my area so I was not able to continue working with them in the area I was living.

8. "TECHNICIAN"

Former Employee - Technician in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Technician in Wayne, PA

I worked at VWR (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not much services for this particular region of the country.

Cons

None! Wished that the aparent company Abbott Vascular/Laboratories in Temecula would have keep the contract with us VWR for the services that were offered.

"Do your research and ask questions"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Cambridge, MA

I worked at VWR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You receive a cell phone and computer when you start working for them and when you work at customer sites you get their benefits.

Cons

I unfortunately do not have much by way of the positive things to say about actually working for VWR. The job was not clear to me when I was hired. It actually changed multiple times in the course of the interview process. By the time I got here I was so confused to what my position was. Their benefits are terrible, from their health insurance to their commuter benefits I was again told one thing and then another thing happened. Management was so messed up that they had little direction. THEN when I finally felt comfortable in my role my manager decided that she didn't like me and therefore made my life miserable at work.

Advice to Management

Maybe get to know your employees and get your stories straight before you tell something to a person.

"Information Services Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Meadowbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Meadowbrook, PA

I have been working at VWR (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people!
    Schedule is up to your discretion as long as you put in your 40 hours and do your work. I absolutely love working here. Everyone works as a team.

Cons

Lack of funding because they want to save money, so there is a battle between which projects get funded first and which get put off. Some of the hardware and software is in need of upgrading but wont be upgraded till broken because they dont want to waste money.

Advice to Management

Do not be afraid to empty your pockets to upgrade some of the equipment

"A lot of expectations with little pay"

Current Employee - CUSTOMER CARE EXPERT in Bridgeport, NJ
    Current Employee - CUSTOMER CARE EXPERT in Bridgeport, NJ

I have been working at VWR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

401k match. Various benefits and discounts such as wellness/gym membership, pet insurance, tuition reimbursement (after one year of employment and must maintain employment for 2 more years), cellular service. Recognition awards make you feel like you've accomplished something. If you do what you're supposed to do, you can succeed and be presented with new responsibilities.

Cons

Handle 50-60 calls per day during the peak months in the standard phone que (very overwhelming for those first starting out in a call center). The overall attitude is negative among co-workers. Tedious non-stop work. The quality monitoring process is built for failure as you are allotted virtually no mistakes (if you ask a customer to repeat their name you will get marked off, if you misspell a word in the notes of an order you will get marked off). Responsibilities continue to increase. SAP is a royal pain and very buggy. Pay is very low. Supervisors have several meetings/conference calls per week which makes them virtually inaccessible the majority of the day, causing workers to be forced to make decisions that are above their pay grade. If you aren't a teachers pet in regards to your relationship with your supervisor, you will get no where.

Advice to Management

Be more in touch with what goes on at the lower level. Realize that workers are often overworked and under appreciated which leads to high call outs, negative attitudes, and turnover.