VWR Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
VWR President and Chief Executive Officer Manuel Brocke-Benz
Manuel Brocke-Benz

Pros
Cons
  • There is little room for advancement and they typically look outside for upper management (in 13 reviews)

• Micro Management, needs work on work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sales Rep Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Representative Intern in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative Intern in Ithaca, NY

Pros

Great boss, flexible hours, learned a lot!

Cons

Cornell's campus is huge, so had to walk in the winter to get to all buildings

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Great old company, missing the mark in 2014"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Radnor, PA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, decent hours, not micromanaged, decent benefits, some room for growth, promised land if you're a self starter, death web if you can't think for yourself or think you can ride coattails.
    Can learn a lot from older reps, but don't expect a team friendly environment, this is a to each his own world so you are directly responsible for your own results, not swallowed by corporate jargon and bs yet, but the train is on the tracks and headed to the station which will weed out the dead weight top to bottom.

Cons

Commission structure means mediocre gets paid with minimum effort, dismal base salary- no raises or merit increases, no vacation so burnout and resignations are rampant, thank yous are non-existent for anything either within your team or higher up, poor customer service means sales spend half their time cleaning up and sorting messes.... company cannot see that investing in high level trained sales support would lead to greater field productivity and top line growth. Home office works 40 hours a week and complains when talking to reps working 75 & making less money than they are. Seems everyone is looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Pay for performance and retain people growing margins rather than schlepping accolades on the people that have high volume, but give away product at minimal margins. Stop hiring order takers and hire people that can truly sell, build loyalty and relationships.Learn what really drives people to want to make the company better. Indifference is deadly. Some want a career and often this feels like a job.

3. "Dont expect fair treatment"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at VWR full-time

Pros

OK compensation, but pay plan is often manipulated by management.

Cons

Management is subversive at best.

Advice to Management

Get better business development managers. The ones in place are a joke and usually make the reps look bad more than anything. Could also do a better job of enforcing contract compliance with the customers VWR manages to keep.

"Look Out For the Iceberg..."

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Radnor, PA

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are a few good people left working at VWR, although they are becoming fewer and farther between. The benefits are decent.

Cons

Management is destroying this company, from the top down. You can find the occasional good manager in the mix but as soon as they are discovered they are briskly shown the door.

Former management (which wasn't perfect) knew the industry and knew their niche in the market space. They are all gone and have been replaced. New management has taken what used to be a good, customer-focused sales organization and done away with the customer-service part of the business. They "threw the baby out with the bath water" and now have a sinking ship on their hands and either don't recognize it or don't care.

In my opinion, they have squeezed every dollar of profit out of the business that they can and now they are just hanging on, trying to run as lean as they can, hoping someone will buy this disaster from them. All the while, they are cutting back, applying pressure on their employees, making everyone worry that their job will end tomorrow and leveraging every tool they have at the end of the quarter to make sure that they get the biggest bonus check that they can.

Advice to Management

I suspect they don't really take advice but if they did I would say to move on and get some replacements in that care more about the customer and the long-term health of the company than the current regime.

6. "Great people...aimless management"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Radnor, PA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The very top is great....the folks doing the work are great

Cons

the managers in between don't have a strategy

Advice to Management

Upper management please go to many customers and understand what's happening...there's no customers in Radnor.

"Great people, poor direction."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Radnor, PA

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people really are the strength of VWR. There are plenty of helpful individuals that will encourage your professional growth and advancement. You just need to find them...

Cons

While all companies are in a constant state of change, VWR has had some wild swings in the past few years. Couple that with continually changing management and leadership, and the boat feels like it will never stop rocking.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales force. Engage them and be more transparent in your communication. Let category managers expand their portfolio in productive ways - bringing on quality products instead of competing on cost alone. We (as salespeople) were always warned to avoid dropping price to the point that it would damage the market, but receive mixed messages from our portfolio managers as they bring on the next "lowest-cost" option.

8. "VWR is on the decline"

I worked at VWR full-time

Pros

Great people and first level managers, strong product line

Cons

Low sales salaries. Company seems to have lost its long term direction, and changes every year.

Advice to Management

Develop a cohesive 5 year plan and stick to it.

"The best sales managers I have ever worked for. A great team."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent sales training and support.

Cons

Your sales territory can make or break your year, as with any sales job.

10. "Good company, a lot going on."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at VWR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid company, treats employees well

Cons

Change is constant so get used to it, accounts are always moving.

"Territory Manager of a broad base of customers, offering a wide selection of products"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule, and I get to work from my home office. I have a great manager and teammates. I have received high quality sales training.

Cons

It is not a 9-5 schedule, some of the work does come home with you. There are millions of products and thousands of suppliers that you have to have some knowledge of.

Advice to Management

I would suggest more "hands-on" product training. It allows the sales force to use the products as our customers would. We get to feel, touch, see the types of products that we are trying to sell to them.