VWR Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

VWR President and Chief Executive Officer Manuel Brocke-Benz
Manuel Brocke-Benz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • All emphasis is placed on arbitrary metrics that for the most part are just falsified numbers to satisfy to satisfy upper management (in 16 reviews)

• Low pay for the demands we go through on a daily basis (in 11 reviews)

"great foot-in-the-door"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, potential to earn

Cons

you wear every hat in the company. not only are you supposed to sell product, but also be customer service, technical support, pricing management, business development, legal contract developer, and public speaker

2. "Sales Represenative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Radnor, PA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great starter sales job for someone looking to move into the industry.

Cons

You are not encouraged to grow in your career. Most of the region directors are act more as supervisors due to their fear for their own job. The HR department is non existent in the company. Outgoing CEO did a great job of trying to change the culture, but only succeeded in corporate. Field sales has a long way to go to create a world class corporate culture.

Advice to Management

Let your employees rate your management. Half of what you are hearing in your surveys are from people afraid for their jobs.

"Senior Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, flexible schedule, good support from Customer Service, good products and customers. The work was interesting and varied.

Cons

Low pay is a huge de-motivator. Poor management at lower levels. Manager revolving door which leads to management accountability issues. Some bosses do not care about you at all personally and are only interested in their numbers and personal career advancement. It is difficult to get promoted from within. The same few people seem to be able to move around within the company while others are stuck in dead-end jobs. I have also had bosses lie to me about vacation, salary, position title...

Advice to Management

Be careful who you place in lower management positions. A good boss understands that if his/her people do well, he/she will do well. Employees know when a boss is only interested in their own personal gain & does not care for them. Do not lie to your employees. Stating that sales reps do not get vacation is not only incorrect as far a company policy goes (I had to ask HR) - it is illegal! Pay fairly and in line with comparable jobs in the employees work area.

4. "Sales Rep Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Representative Intern in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative Intern in Ithaca, NY

Pros

Great boss, flexible hours, learned a lot!

Cons

Cornell's campus is huge, so had to walk in the winter to get to all buildings

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Sales representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, TONS of products, freedom for the most part, nice people. All my customers were awesome, why I stayed as long as I did!

Cons

Zero product training, supplier reps don't help, managers aren't much help either only watch #'s & if you have a question they just tell you to contact a peer for help. Not coming from a lab background I was clueless selling everything because there was zero help within so did what I could to make the most of it! Took me about 3 years to really understand the chaos! But I stuck it out but was happy to leave!!

Advice to Management

Get managers that know the products & that can help! Not just sit at their computers & watch our #'s! Maybe then the talent you hire would do better on #'s.

"Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great customers!! Decent benefits!!

Cons

Not much structure or training for new reps, so they feel extremely lost starting out. Low pay for the demands we go through on a daily basis. Don't ever go on maternity leave, whoever covers your territory while you're gone will make all of your hard work go down the tubes while you are gone.

Advice to Management

Need better training for new reps. And managers that help instead of constantly just checking numbers. And more opportunity for advancement.

"True distribution sales."

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with many distributors, freedom to set your own schedule.

Cons

Company is in a transitional position

Advice to Management

Advocate for your people.

"Used to be a great company, I hope it makes a comeback"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at VWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The non-executive level people. Everyone from the call center, warehouse, supply chain, sales reps, regional managers were really great people who cared a lot for each other. The sales rep position is what you make of it. The guaranteed salary was solid and the commission potential high if you're willing to put in the work and are good at managing your time working from home.

Cons

I was not interested in becoming a manager at the time, so this is not a spiteful comment but something was odd about the people they promoted to management and VP roles. They promoted people who looked good and were seemingly the best BSers. A lot of people got screwed and it was sad to watch. Had they promoted the right people, they may not be in their current distressed state.

Advice to Management

Promote the right people. Schmoozers, BSers, and the "good ole boys" should be replaced with genuine leaders who care about the business and the people, not just themselves. I believe that Manuel Brocke-Benz truly believes in the business and wants the best for everyone and I hope that he can turn things around.

"Great old company, missing the mark in 2014"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Radnor, PA

I have been working at VWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, decent hours, not micromanaged, decent benefits, some room for growth, promised land if you're a self starter, death web if you can't think for yourself or think you can ride coattails.
    Can learn a lot from older reps, but don't expect a team friendly environment, this is a to each his own world so you are directly responsible for your own results, not swallowed by corporate jargon and bs yet, but the train is on the tracks and headed to the station which will weed out the dead weight top to bottom.

Cons

Commission structure means mediocre gets paid with minimum effort, dismal base salary- no raises or merit increases, no vacation so burnout and resignations are rampant, thank yous are non-existent for anything either within your team or higher up, poor customer service means sales spend half their time cleaning up and sorting messes.... company cannot see that investing in high level trained sales support would lead to greater field productivity and top line growth. Home office works 40 hours a week and complains when talking to reps working 75 & making less money than they are. Seems everyone is looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Pay for performance and retain people growing margins rather than schlepping accolades on the people that have high volume, but give away product at minimal margins. Stop hiring order takers and hire people that can truly sell, build loyalty and relationships.Learn what really drives people to want to make the company better. Indifference is deadly. Some want a career and often this feels like a job.

10. "Dont expect fair treatment"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at VWR full-time

Pros

OK compensation, but pay plan is often manipulated by management.

Cons

Management is subversive at best.

Advice to Management

Get better business development managers. The ones in place are a joke and usually make the reps look bad more than anything. Could also do a better job of enforcing contract compliance with the customers VWR manages to keep.