Vacasa Portland Reviews

Updated Sep 4, 2020

3.3
Vacasa Interim CEO Matt Roberts (no image)
Matt Roberts
  1. "Supportive and Compassionate Management"

5.0
    Current Employee - Learning Partner in Portland, OR

I have been working at Vacasa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management leads with core values

Cons

I don't have any right now.

Team Vacasa

Thank you for your review, and we are so glad to hear the Town Halls are being received well. We will continue to host them as long as they are useful to employees!

2. "Great job, low pay."

Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Vacasa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tech-forward, rapid growth, stellar culture.

Cons

Rock bottom salaries, poorly organized data.

Team Vacasa

Thanks for sharing your review! As a current employee, we hope that if you are concerned about your salary, you feel comfortable speaking with your manager or contacting HR@vacasa.com.

3. COVID-19

"A great place to work, always growing and improving"

5.0
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Vacasa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great teammates, interesting product and exciting industry. Vacasa's new senior leadership came just in time to really take the reins and help lead the company throughout a black swan year for the travel industry. The company's new leadership is investing heavily in strategically aligning products, services and efforts across the business. As a high growth start up maturing into an industry leader, it's exciting to see the direction the company is going and be a part of it.

Cons

It's been a crazy year adjusting to the impact of COVID-19 on our industry, but I think we are positioned well to grow and evolve as an organization from it. We are also working back to correct a lot organizational development issues that are long overdue. Moving in a good direction.

Team Vacasa

Wow, thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled to have Matt and the SLT coming together and building a strong future for our business—especially in the challenging environment we are currently in. We are glad to hear that the transparency and communication efforts to all employees are resonating.

4. COVID-19

"Overall Great Place to Learn"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Portland, OR

I worked at Vacasa full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good option to learn and grow in sales. Appreciated my time here.

Cons

Cut short due to Covid

Team Vacasa

Thank you for your review! We appreciate it, and glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

5. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Reservationist in Portland, OR

I worked at Vacasa full-time

Pros

Management was very responsive, organized organization

Cons

I don't believe there were any cons

Team Vacasa

Thank you for your review, and glad to hear that you enjoyed working with us at Vacasa!

6. "Great job, not career"

Former Employee - CX Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Vacasa full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers. Some of the best people I have connected with in my professional career. Exceptional benefits including commuter reimbursement, 100% insurance coverage (medical, dental, vision), and 401K matching. The kitchen was always fully stocked and the coffee bar was a huge perk while working there.

Cons

No growth opportunities or pay increase unless you want to pursue management. High employee turnover.

Team Vacasa

Thank you for sharing your review! We couldn't agree more; we have some of the best people around! We are sorry to hear that you didn't feel there was an opportunity for growth and hope that you felt comfortable discussing your path forward with your manager. If you have any other feedback, please reach out to HR@vacasa.com.

"Overworked, underpaid, under appreciated"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Vacasa full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a good relationship with my direct manager.

Cons

Upper management has no regard for their employee’s well-being. Here are some bullet points: -Extended a $300 “work from home bonus” to every employee EXCEPT the customer experience department who are the lowest paid. CX spent all spring taking abuse from angry customers who Vacasa was refusing to refund. - Zero communication about pending promotions - No raises ever - not even the yearly raise each employee is promised - Complete disregard of “Vacasa Values” by upper management and executive board - Vast discrepancies between individual management styles - No “low deductible” health plan - Workplace culture is toxic, drama and gossip breeds here like bacteria. - Office perks were great until they shut the offices down and didn’t account for the loss of employee satisfaction. -PTO is “use it or lose it”, but individual managers don’t know this and will advise you that your PTO will be paid out upon resignation.

Team Vacasa

Thank you for sharing a review and providing feedback. We know how hard our CX team worked—and continues to work—during the spring shutdown, and we appreciate all of your efforts during that time. We are working to improve upon some of the things you mention, and would love to have a larger conversation around your experience. If you are open to it, would you please contact HR@vacasa.com?

"Pretty good"

Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Vacasa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, inclusive workplace, kind coworkers

Cons

Seems to lack direction, constantly changing what the overall business plan and structure are.

Team Vacasa

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. Our unlimited PTO program is an offering we're proud to provide to our employees. If you are having a tough time getting time off approved, please reach out to HR@vacasa.com so we can work with your manager on ensuring this is available to you.

9. COVID-19

"Good experience all around."

Former Employee - Marketing in Portland, OR

I worked at Vacasa full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have quite a few pros from my time at Vacasa which seems to not be the norm on reviews here. While I was let go during COVID, it was to be expected for the work I was performing as a "non-essential" employee; however, I was treated well during my exit process and I hold no hard feelings. My first pro for the company was that I personally felt there was great energy. People were excited to come into the office and overall the culture was great. Second pro is work life balance. This is a common theme, but I genuinely feel you get more productive employees when they feel they can take time when they need it. I met some fabulous people in my time at the Portland office which made for a nice day to day work life. I was also extended the opportunity to work remotely when I had to move out of state for my partners career which wasn't expected and I am forever grateful.

Cons

My cons started when management started to change for our department. I was getting so much mixed messaging with no actual responsibilities being delegated to me. This all happened right before COVID and it really put the stamp on the dismantling of the Marketing department. I feel that during my time at Vacasa I couldn't make decisions without putting them above me first which felt frustrating at times when it would be simple decisions and would be pushed further back in timelines since approval was required. Lastly, communications between departments was AWFUL. One team would be working on the same project as another because open communication wasn't always encouraged. I want to end this with Matt, the new CEO, he took on this responsibility in one of the worst times possible and for that I can't hold ill will towards him. I hope Vacasa can return to its prime again soon because I truly did love this company.

Team Vacasa

Thank you for sharing this review. We are glad to read about all of the positive experiences you had with us, and feel the same way about the energy in the office and our ability to offer work/life balance--both are very important to our culture. It seems you experienced some communication issues both in your department as well as with others. This can occur when there are so many exciting things happening all at once, but we appreciate your feedback and will take the necessary steps to ensure we are as transparent as possible between departments. We are committed to working on it. Thank you again and take care.

10. COVID-19

"A Hot Mess"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Vacasa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance - this was pretty manager dependent, as some people I knew were working 60-70 hour weeks. The people! For all of Vacasa's flaws, somehow they managed to hire some amazing people. Stepping stone - they are a great place to gain set of skills that you can take to a company that will treat you better. And, they did do a good job of taking a chance on people a lot of companies wouldn't have. Free healthcare - this was great as someone who only had the occasional medication but was pretty healthy overall. Terrible for people with multiple/expensive health conditions.

Cons

Incredibly underpaid - we were jerked around constantly in terms of pay. There was no consistency between titles and pay and attempts at creating pay bands was a joke. The CEO at the time was only interested in the % when it came to pay increases so proposals to get employees to market rate were slashed frequently. Many people I knew had a 30-50% increase in pay when switching to other companies IN Portland. People were also heavily discouraged to talk about their pay with each other. Layoffs - While I understand that COVID and its impacts were unexpected, the way everything was handled felt terrible. I left the company with a bad taste in my mouth and was incredibly disappointed by how little they did for those they laid off compared to many other companies that did the same. For example, many people were forced to scramble just to find a laptop for job searching as we weren't allowed to even buy ours from the company. Lack of Focus - It often felt like Vacasa had no idea what they really wanted or the direction they wanted to go which was pretty frustrating. I agree with another reviewer here that said they felt like COVID was a way to restructure and lay off entire teams they didn't know what to do with.

Team Vacasa

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We will provide this feedback to our HR team, who is working on improving many elements of the employee experience, including normalizing titles, pay bands and work/life balance across the company. We do have great people and we want to retain them. Feedback from employees like you is valuable and we appreciate your thoughts.

Found 160 reviews