Vacations To Go Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
R Alan Fox

Pros
  • Great travel perks and potential to make good money (in 10 reviews)

• Travel agents can make a lot of money if they work more than 40 hours a week, no cold calling which is a plus for inside sales (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Biggest con is that agents were not set up for success from upper management (in 11 reviews)

• 100% commission based but even if you make the sale your earnings are never guaranteed (in 9 reviews)

"Travel Counselor"

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, one of the best kept secrets out there for a sales job. Amazing earning potential, and yes you can make $100k+ your first year!

Cons

Team manager and directors really have no say or any authority! If you are a top producer there really is no benefit other than the money as the ALL-STARS stay the same so they don't have to shift schedules around. It's very political at this company!

Advice to Management

Reward the ones who are making your paychecks and not the ones at the bottom of the barrel!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with VTG for 7 years and this is by far the best company I've ever worked for! Great employees from the Owner all the way to the agents.

Cons

Can't think of a bad thing that I could say about Vacations To Go. They are great in everything they do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You guys are amazing and have changed my life for the better.

"Decent place"

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, uncapped commissions. You have to put in your 40 hours, but if you want to really make money you can work as much as you want.

Cons

They get you in the door by talking about making a 6 figure income. It is possible, but only a select few actually do it. Those that do usually burn themselves about after a year or two. I bet the average sales person there probably makes about $50k a year. They have a very high turnover the place is a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic in the hiring process

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at Vacations To Go for over 10 years and the experience has been great and rewarding. I was hesitant to take a commission sales job but was glad I gave it a chance. Management does a great job of keeping leads coming in (instead of cold calling). The employees and management are all easy to get a long with. I wouldn't trade this job in for anything else. Who can say no to free and discounted vacations which are provided to all the employees.

Cons

The assigned hours/schedule when I started was not the best. I had to work weekends or I could have chosen a late evening shift. After some time, I was offered a Monday to Friday shift. It does take time to get a favorable schedule, although if you are a top producer, you can become an All-star and pick the hours you want to work.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees and continue having great company functions like the picnics and Christmas parties.

"Great Job"

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time

Pros

If you are in sales Vacations To Go is a great company to work for. As we all know when working in sales product is important, is there a high level of desire and/or need, which travel has. I find travel to be a very interesting industry – which is an added plus.
     But just as important to what you are selling is working for a company that respects and supports their sales staff, do they provide a platform for success and opportunity, which Vacations To Go does. No cold calling and an abundance of pre qualified customers. You can’t beat it. In addition the company has a strong training and support staff, the best in the industry. Another bonus is their strong relationship with suppliers.
    The financial compensation is up there and impressive, the income possibilities have a high ceiling - work smart while in the office and the financial rewards are defiantly there – actually outstanding. Out of 1 – 5 stars, I give Vacations To Go 5 stars.

Cons

When you first start the schedule might not be what you are expecting but if you give it time is works itself out.

Advice to Management

Always keep up the company's positive outlook and looking for the best ways to promote. Plus continue to support your employees.

"You get out what you put in"

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time

Pros

No cold calling and warm leads. You can work extra to earn more if you want to. Fun product.

Cons

The hours can take some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Excellent!!"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go (More than a year)

Pros

-Awesome company culture!
    -Free vacations!
    -Consistent schedule!
    -Upper management is great to work with! Very open and willing to listen!
    -Huge earning potential
    -Inbound leads!

Cons

-Nights and weekends
    -I can't think of anything else!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

9. "Okay company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Good schedules, win prizes and trips

Cons

Average pay, long hours and no paid vacations.

"Cruise sales"

Former Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX

Pros

Nothing positive about working for this company. It is a scam.

Cons

This company is a scam. They have almost 100% turnover within the first year of employment. Earning opportunity is grossly overstated, and job security is non existent. Their advertising is very misleading. Do not waste your time with this company.

Advice to Management

Stop scamming people. Be honest with expectations, get to know your employees and eliminate the revolving door.

Vacations To Go Response

Feb 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience at Vacations To Go left you feeling mislead. We appreciate your feedback and can certainly understand that this sales position ... More

"Not what I expected it to be."

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some decent managers, paid training, insurance and 401K available.... good hours during training. Get to talk to people from all around the world, booking their cruises.

Cons

The worst training I have ever gone through in my career. Too much to learn and they expect you to be perfect and know the one and outs of all the cruise line booking engines. Too many sales promotions, leads to confusion and room for error; therefore promising your clients something, them not getting it, and then having to pay a portion of the error out of pocket.

Getting paid once a month is HORRIBLE. Working on straight commission is HORRIBLE. They micromanage your time off, hours worked, and vacation time. They don't pay you a salary, so some flexibility would have been great.

UN-MOTIVATING!!! No one motivates you to work there. Managers don't come checking on the sales teams... no weekly emails with sales accomplishments. Directors or above don't come around checking on the hard working sales team. Never saw the President/CEO/Owner making rounds on busy sales days (like Cyber Monday, etc).

Metrics: the management needs to understand that NO ONE IS PERFECT (or excellent in that matter). Surveys are SUBJECTIVE. Not everyone thinks every little detail is "excellent". One walks on egg shells not knowing if they will still have a job because of a "poor" or mediocre survey. Guess what? Things happen, guests go through things and take it out on the agent. Take those surveys and learn from them, but don't judge an agent because of mediocre surveys.

Commission: 25%. Sure. It sounds great. But you have to work A LOT to make money. I don't understand how someone can survive and live happily working there. You get paid on final payment, so if the cruise is more than three months out - you don't see a dollar. Plus, you lose all that future earnings potential if you leave or get fired, therefore the company now doesn't have to pay you on your hard work.

The office itself is dirty, toilet seats disgusting in the restrooms, break rooms dirty, carpets dirty, desks broken, cubicle walls dirty and/or broken... constant smell of sewage or other on the different floors...

Overall - HR isn't there for you. Managers aren't there for you. No one is. It's an unfriendly environment, no team work, too many chiefs doing absolutely nothing.

I feel that I wasted my talent working there. With the knowledge and background I have in the cruise industry, no one cared and didn't value me. Never a thank you or a "great" job. The stress level was extremely high, very hard work with long hours, and the return was minimal.

Advice to Management

Training program is AWFUL! Learn how to motivate your teams!!! Also, listen to those agents that came from high sales careers in the cruise line business or elsewhere - they may have some good feedback.

Vacations To Go Response

Feb 9, 2017 – Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that your time here wasn’t what you expected. Selling vacations is a new industry for many people and there is a learning curve. It’s a challenging position with lots of ... More