Vacations To Go Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 14, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
R Alan Fox

Pros
  • Great travel perks and potential to make good money (in 10 reviews)

• Travel agents can make a lot of money if they work more than 40 hours a week, no cold calling which is a plus for inside sales (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Biggest con is that agents were not set up for success from upper management (in 11 reviews)

• 100% commission based but even if you make the sale your earnings are never guaranteed (in 10 reviews)

"4 months of training is a SCAM!"

Former Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None I can think of!

Cons

They throw so much at you in a 2 week period that no one can retain 10% of the training. Then they expect you to be ready to get out of training in a month not 4 months. The 4 month training period is told to you over and over. They also tell you that they are going to help you until you understand the process. That is a LIE! They fired me after 4 weeks. They treat their employees like dirt. I got nothing but a real good lesson about not ever wasting my time again. They appear so caring and then you find out that is just a front!

Advice to Management

Not everyone learns at the same rate. That doesn't mean they won't turn out to be a Valued Employee. Stop treating employees like the are expendable. You should really hear what your employees think of the Management there. They call you the Click and they say you rule with an Iron Fist! I can attest to that! I'm very displeased and ashamed I even consider VTG.

Apr 7, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your time at Vacations To Go was such a disappointment. We want every new travel counselor to be successful and graduate from training ... More

"Cruise sales"

Former Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX

Pros

Nothing positive about working for this company. It is a scam.

Cons

This company is a scam. They have almost 100% turnover within the first year of employment. Earning opportunity is grossly overstated, and job security is non existent. Their advertising is very misleading. Do not waste your time with this company.

Advice to Management

Stop scamming people. Be honest with expectations, get to know your employees and eliminate the revolving door.

Feb 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience at Vacations To Go left you feeling mislead. We appreciate your feedback and can certainly understand that this sales position ... More

"Not what I expected it to be."

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some decent managers, paid training, insurance and 401K available.... good hours during training. Get to talk to people from all around the world, booking their cruises.

Cons

The worst training I have ever gone through in my career. Too much to learn and they expect you to be perfect and know the one and outs of all the cruise line booking engines. Too many sales promotions, leads to confusion and room for error; therefore promising your clients something, them not getting it, and then having to pay a portion of the error out of pocket.

Getting paid once a month is HORRIBLE. Working on straight commission is HORRIBLE. They micromanage your time off, hours worked, and vacation time. They don't pay you a salary, so some flexibility would have been great.

UN-MOTIVATING!!! No one motivates you to work there. Managers don't come checking on the sales teams... no weekly emails with sales accomplishments. Directors or above don't come around checking on the hard working sales team. Never saw the President/CEO/Owner making rounds on busy sales days (like Cyber Monday, etc).

Metrics: the management needs to understand that NO ONE IS PERFECT (or excellent in that matter). Surveys are SUBJECTIVE. Not everyone thinks every little detail is "excellent". One walks on egg shells not knowing if they will still have a job because of a "poor" or mediocre survey. Guess what? Things happen, guests go through things and take it out on the agent. Take those surveys and learn from them, but don't judge an agent because of mediocre surveys.

Commission: 25%. Sure. It sounds great. But you have to work A LOT to make money. I don't understand how someone can survive and live happily working there. You get paid on final payment, so if the cruise is more than three months out - you don't see a dollar. Plus, you lose all that future earnings potential if you leave or get fired, therefore the company now doesn't have to pay you on your hard work.

The office itself is dirty, toilet seats disgusting in the restrooms, break rooms dirty, carpets dirty, desks broken, cubicle walls dirty and/or broken... constant smell of sewage or other on the different floors...

Overall - HR isn't there for you. Managers aren't there for you. No one is. It's an unfriendly environment, no team work, too many chiefs doing absolutely nothing.

I feel that I wasted my talent working there. With the knowledge and background I have in the cruise industry, no one cared and didn't value me. Never a thank you or a "great" job. The stress level was extremely high, very hard work with long hours, and the return was minimal.

Advice to Management

Training program is AWFUL! Learn how to motivate your teams!!! Also, listen to those agents that came from high sales careers in the cruise line business or elsewhere - they may have some good feedback.

Feb 9, 2017 – Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that your time here wasn’t what you expected. Selling vacations is a new industry for many people and there is a learning curve. It’s a challenging position with lots of ... More

"If you're ok with 75/25 split"

Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The dress code is casual and even more casual on the weekends. Occasionally you'll get a chance at gift cards.

Cons

Not flexible hours. Work holidays unless you've been there 4+ years. 75/25 split is horrible. No opportunities for advancement. Once you leave they take what you have on deposit and give 25 to another agent per booking and they keep the rest.

Advice to Management

Flexible hours to compensate for the little commission agent's already receive.

Feb 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your schedule and our compensation plan. As with most companies, the best schedules are given to those employees with the ... More

6. "Management is just mean"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Fun people to work with

Cons

Overrated in every way. Cutthroat to make any money

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and kindness

"VTG is a CALL CENTER...nothing more..."

Former Employee - Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some travel benefits, but the company keeps most and awards them as prizes.

Cons

I worked at VTG for about a year and I never met the owner of the company - he's on cruise-line sponsored vacations throughout the year. The president has his own "clique" and you're not in it! I never saw him on the floor while working there either.

When the Sr. Director of Cruises left (a tenured and very well-liked member of management), the president sent out a one-line email offering no positive comments.

Department management is usually given to anyone who will take the position - it's certainly not based upon people skills or educational attainment.

You are hired as part of a "training class" and fed into the various departments at completion. Upon arrival in the department, the tenured people told our class to look for a job immediately - they all had their resumes out. Our class of sixteen (March 2013) has three people still employed there. It is a revolving door - three new training classes are constantly running through new hire training.

All of the floors have various "lunch rooms" where most people bring their food for the day because most employees can't afford to eat out. Don't drink too much while you're working though - there's so many people packed into the departments that there's generally a wait to use the bathroom.

If you work a late shift, you will be walking through a dark, open (not fenced-in) parking lot late at night. Bring a can of mace or other protection.

Work here as a last resort...

Advice to Management

Learn some leadership skills...

"Horrible Horrible Horrilbe"

Former Employee - Master Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Master Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make money in exchange for your soul! There are a handfull pulling 6 figures with the average sales person making 30k .

Cons

Management is a complete joke. There is no company culture. Training is minimal. Team managers focus on team members that they will bonus from. If you work here you better document everything and I mean everything. If a customer says that they were supposed to get something and it is not documented that they in fact do not, even if they are not entitled to it management will give away out of your commission. Commission paid is too low. Bonus structure sucks. I mean I can go on and on. Hours are terrible when you are new and will not get better until you have been there for almost 4 years. Even though you will be hired as a sales person you will be the main contact for service as well. Servicing clients will take a ton of time. Then you will be "talked to" for not taking enough leads.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Your company culture sucks. Do something about that.

"Travel Counselor"

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to make money if you are in the right department and willing to work the crazy hours.

Cons

Upper Management is completely out of touch with employees. Middle Management is not hired based on talent or seniority...instead hired because they arent looking to move up past that position.

Advice to Management

Start taking a look at why employees are leaving and make changes.. Listen to your employees when they are unhappy and offer to work with them to keep them with the company. When I quit, my "exit interview" was simply HR asking me to return my garage key. They never once asked me why I choose to leave.

"Dreadful"

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours and shifts, extra vacation time, paid training, great managers, a lot of support

Cons

commissions the first year are terrible, dull work, repetitive, call center environment, no paid vacations, benefits are terrible, favoritism, you are simply a number in this company

"Not worth it unless your desperate.... keep looking for a job anyways"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the older employees were great to work with.

Cons

I have never worked at a company that has treated there employees so horribly. From not providing coffee cups to the President & COO, Emerson yelling and cursing at his employees in front of the whole company. The company only looks out for them selves and really doesn't care for the employee. You will be treated like its a call center and have noticed there has been a very high turn over.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your biggest assets. Start treating them better.