Vacations To Go Reviews | Glassdoor

Vacations To Go Reviews

Updated September 25, 2017

R Alan Fox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great travel perks and potential to make good money (in 10 reviews)

• Travel agents can make a lot of money if they work more than 40 hours a week, no cold calling which is a plus for inside sales (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Biggest con is that agents were not set up for success from upper management (in 11 reviews)

• This is a 100% commission job, so anything that does that costs you money (in 10 reviews)

"Depends on your department"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few departments of the company. If you're going to be successful in the Ocean Cruise department, plan to put in a lot of hours. You will have to almost live there. If you're willing to do that you can make upwards of $80K

Cons

If you're in the River Cruise or the Tour departments, work schedules are based on seniority, so expect a strange work schedule for at least 4 years.

Advice to Management

None

Oct 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We work very hard to create a positive experience for our employees and we are sorry to see that you would not recommend Vacations To Go. As with... More

"Agent"

Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leader in industry. Pay is only once a month, but is dependable.

Cons

Limited income potential, have to work a lot of money to make 50K. Uncontrollable factors like weather affects your earnings potential. You required to work horrible shifts for the first 3 years.

Advice to Management

Get someone with solid sales experience to train and coach agents. Robert Baker has the management capacity of a sloth.

Oct 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your experience at Vacations To Go and earned less than your desired income. Commission-only sales jobs can be... More

3. "Nice Job But Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Supervisors do not micro-manage. Lots of vacation incentives.

Cons

Salary is tied to many factors beyond your control.

Advice to Management

Fix your intranet as it has many bugs in the system and getting worse each day

May 24, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We are always looking for ways to improve and some of our most valuable feedback comes from our current employees, especially those with such tenure. We are pleased to... More

4. "Fun atmosphere for a while, but you can get burnt out"

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere, free or reduced travel perks

Cons

100% commission, it can become monotonous, managers are former sales people who couldn't sell but had good customer service records

Advice to Management

n/a

5. "Okay company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Good schedules, win prizes and trips

Cons

Average pay, long hours and no paid vacations.

"Call center sales job, nothing more."

Former Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code. Good travel perks. No cold calls. Other employees are friendly and eager to help if needed. Managers are also very helpful.

Cons

Money can be made, but you often have to work overtime to achieve desired numbers. VTG measures the number of calls that come in while you are on your off days and vacation time. So the only real way to eliminate the numbers of calls you miss is by coming in.

The company tends to side with the customer a majority of time. This is easy for them because any money comes out of the employee's bank.

They measure everything. I'm surprised they didn't measure how often I used the restroom. As a result, I feel the company loses focus of its goals.

"Rocky beginning. But if you can stick it out,great."

Former Employee - Master Cruise Counselor
    Former Employee - Master Cruise Counselor

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the team you're assigned to, the people can be the best part of the job. My team usually made a bad day better. Not a hard job,just very detail oriented.

Cons

The hours are super tough. No work/life balance at all. Having your weekends taken away AND getting home past 10pm everyday is the worst.
    In order to make any kind of money, expect to be there ALL the time; 40hrs. a week will not cut it.
    I do feel they have some very unreasonable expectations of their agents,which in turns makes for VERY HIGH turnover rate. Seriously, the company hires new agents every month to replace the employees that quit or got fired. Revolving door.
    They really have no loyalty for their agents. I have had money taken out of my pocket just to keep a customer happy,but the issue was not my fault at all. Agents steal from other agents.
    Just know what you're getting yourself into.

8. "Resort Sales"

Former Employee - Resort Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Resort Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beginning of the year you'll make a lot of money.

Cons

Second half of the year, you'll struggle to make money.

9. "Master Cruise Counselor"

Current Employee - Master Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Master Cruise Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great travel perks. Great stress-free environment. Many different flexible schedules and tenured agents have a chance to work from home.

Cons

New changes to the bonus commission plan that focuses more on customer service than sales. Prior to the bonus commission plan change, all VTG employees were given advance notice of something new to monitor when clients have to call in to customer service. Agents were told not to worry that this merely a test. This new monitoring eventually became part of the bonus commission plan. It basically determines if you are eligible for bonus or not. Biggest con is that agents were not set up for success from upper management. Most were more or less set up for failure.
    Office break areas could be cleaner and there are not a lot of areas for agents to relax and take a break.

Advice to Management

Being more upfront of changes that affect agents. Working together with agents more to help them succeed. More agent incentives.

10. "Cruise Counselor"

Pros

Straight commission job on your resume looks great for sales

Cons

Sweat Shop, not flexible on hours