Vacations To Go Reviews | Glassdoor

Vacations To Go Reviews

Updated January 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great travel perks and potential to make good money (in 10 reviews)

• Travel agents can make a lot of money if they work more than 40 hours a week, no cold calling which is a plus for inside sales (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Biggest con is that agents were not set up for success from upper management (in 11 reviews)

• 100% commission based but even if you make the sale your earnings are never guaranteed (in 9 reviews)

"If you're ok with 75/25 split"

Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The dress code is casual and even more casual on the weekends. Occasionally you'll get a chance at gift cards.

Cons

Not flexible hours. Work holidays unless you've been there 4+ years. 75/25 split is horrible. No opportunities for advancement. Once you leave they take what you have on deposit and give 25 to another agent per booking and they keep the rest.

Advice to Management

Flexible hours to compensate for the little commission agent's already receive.

Vacations To Go Response

Feb 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your schedule and our compensation plan. As with most companies, the best schedules are given to those employees with the ... More

"Sales Representative"

Pros

Very friendly staff. Supervisor is very supportive.

Cons

You must work long hours to make good money. This is a commission only job.

"Travel Counselor"

Pros

Casual dress code, your coworkers are usually nice

Cons

Too many to list, even on the internet. Eventually you'll burn up and they prefer it that way. The company should receive some sort of award for figuring out how to make money from having such a high employee turnover. Over 70% annual turnover and they actually make money when you leave. There is something inherently wrong with that in this day and age.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to at least appear less like a multi-level marketing company and more like a place you'd actually prefer people working at for than 3 years, through thick and thin.

"Travel Counselor"

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting 6 month salary with option to go straight commission. Low stress. Supposed level playing field of availability of new business. Control of the sale/transaction as long as the company is not losing money. Company seems to be quick to make adjustments and wants insight from employees.

Cons

Basic training is given but not enough training to cover gamut of situations and obstacles unique to industry. Business is seasonal. Wave season January through March, famine during the summer without previous and /or referral base.

Advice to Management

There is a flaw in your computers' random selection of agents with the tour bell. There are agents who consistently get more calls than everyone else. Random means random!

"Call center sales job, nothing more."

Former Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cruise Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code. Good travel perks. No cold calls. Other employees are friendly and eager to help if needed. Managers are also very helpful.

Cons

Money can be made, but you often have to work overtime to achieve desired numbers. VTG measures the number of calls that come in while you are on your off days and vacation time. So the only real way to eliminate the numbers of calls you miss is by coming in.

The company tends to side with the customer a majority of time. This is easy for them because any money comes out of the employee's bank.

They measure everything. I'm surprised they didn't measure how often I used the restroom. As a result, I feel the company loses focus of its goals.

"Travel Agent"

Current Employee - Travel Agent
    Current Employee - Travel Agent

Pros

I have been here 13 years. That should say it all. Earning potential is very favorable.
    Upper management is the best I've ever worked under.

Cons

There are no paid vacations.

"Best job i've ever had"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Friendly working environment
    2. Very high earning potential
    3. Awesome travel benefits
    4. Managers and directors are always willing to help and give advice
    5. Potential for promotions and moving up in the company are very good
    6. The bonus structure that they have in place is very rewarding

Cons

There is a lot of information to learn upfront, but when you finally get the hang of everything then it is smooth sailing.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see the faces of upper management on the sales floor more often.

"A+ Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go (More than 10 years)

Pros

I cannot say enough great things about Vacations To Go. I have been here over 13 years and to this day I walk in to work with a smile on my face. Everyone is very friendly and easy to work with but most importantly, management cares. Each and every day they strive to make performing daily tasks easier for every employee. It takes special dedication and perseverance to build a successful business and management at Vacations To Go has done it. I am not only happy to have this job, I'm honored.

Cons

I cannot think of any.

"Team Manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy going with great vacation time. Decent pay and no real stress. Overall a pleasant job.
    Perks are good however not always available.

Cons

Upper management tends to selectively micro manage. No real authority aside from basic duties that an RA might have in a dorm.

Advice to Management

Be seen more. Give authority and trust your managers by action.

"Good, friendly, fun place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

Potential to make good money if you don't mind working extra hours. All sales are incoming phone calls -no cold calling.

Good health insurance, matching 401k

Excellent training

Relaxed dress code

Discounted and even free trips called "Fam" trips, or business trips to familiarize yourself with resort locations all over the world are available.

All of the managers and most of the directors have moved up from sales positions, so they promote from within if that's what you're looking for,

Barbecues, softball games, frequent vendor-supplied lunches and lots of other such things were appreciated.

Cons

Due simply to the nature of this industry and its sales cycles, the great bulk of your income for the year will be made in the first 4-6 months. Fall is absolutely dead, things pick up a bit late in the year and explode again in January during what they call "wave season". You must plan for this. Working extra hours during the dead period can be very demoralizing, so my advice is to work as many extra hours during the wave as you possibly can, knowing that its short and sweet.

New hires will work nights and weekends for a few years, unless you really excel and are then given a preference for upcoming shift openings.

Some easy bonuses are available, but most are very difficult to obtain.

On their website, they still say "Earn up to $100K selling fun". This is technically possible, and a few people do achieve this, but I can tell you that not only are these people motivated superstars, they're "motivated" to work 6-7 days a week, several hours beyond their shifts every day. If they're selling fun they can't possibly be having any themselves after work.

Lots of meetings -usually vendor updates on their new product, so probably necessary but it still takes you away from the phones. This is a 100% commission job, so anything that does that costs you money

Advice to Management

Honestly none that I can think of. I've rolled my eyes at a few of the changes as the company got bigger, but I suppose that's pretty normal. They're good people. If you know what you're getting into here you should be happy