Vail Valley Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Vail Valley Medical Center President & CEO Doris Kirchner
Doris Kirchner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Employer!"

I have been working at Vail Valley Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, coworkers, providers and administration are all world class!

Cons

Cost of living.

2. "Nursing"

I worked at Vail Valley Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The staff are great. It was like working with extended family. I worked at VVMC for over 10 years and that's what kept me loving my job was my coworkers and patients. The valley is a great place to live.

Cons

Administration has a heavy hand and the hospital board is way too involved in operations. I wouldn't call it hostile but it's a think before you speak organization in terms of voicing concerns. HR has always been administration focused and not employee focused. Top heavy in leadership positions. They've always had the attitude we are the only game in town which has changed with the arrival of Centura and Kaiser to the valley. There was always a lack of transparency and currently a lack of sincerity from administration related to employee challenges or voiced concerns.

Advice to Management

Employee engagement and staff satisfaction should be a focus. Transparency, Transparency, Transparency!!!

3. "Nice place"

Former Employee - Manager in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Thornton, CO

I worked at Vail Valley Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vail Valley Medical Center is a nice place to work, surroundings are beautiful, the clinical staff are welcoming and friendly.

Cons

Administrative team, are very disengaged with staff, and do not realize how important staff are to the success of an organization.

4. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - EMT in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - EMT in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Valley Medical Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for cross training and picking up shifts in other depts. Real good pay compared to other areas. Education/ tuition reimbursement.

Cons

High management turnover. High cost of living. Bad parking conditions.

"Snowblind Continues"

I worked at Vail Valley Medical Center full-time

Pros

Job itself is optimal. If you are looking for a nursing job that you don't have to work extremely hard.

Cons

Toxic work environment. Management has very little managerial experience. It is very sad because I think the manager I had has a great deal of potential and is a good person. Due to the lack of experience and fear of job loss, they are easily manipulated by upper management. If you have any opinion at all you will not succeed here. Even if the opinion is regarding patient safety. They take feedback as a personal attack. Keep your mouth shut and you will do fine. It is known among employees that you do not write occurrence reports because they will be held against you and included in your yearly review. Even if it is a system problem. I have never experienced that at other jobs. I learned quickly. They provide "Just Culture" education, despite the fact that it is upper management that needs trained in Just Culture. There is a lot of back stabbing and finger pointing. This is what the management seems to want. Vail Valley Medical Center I am so sad for you. It is a horrible place to work even though it's in the middle of paradise. To add to the stress, housing is incredibly difficult to find especially if you have a pet. Living alone if you have a pet is almost impossible, even if you are willing to $1600/month. Most of the HOA's do not allow pets if you aren't the owner. I hope things improve someday.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop pointing fingers at the employees and actually fix the system problems that keep occurring over and over again. Do not encourage back stabbing. Encourage employees to try and work out there differences prior to coming to management. Realize that employees are dealing with as much stress as you are during the construction. Recognize that. Let the employees know that they are important part of the company. The impression that you give is that all of them are replaceable.

6. "RN"

Former Employee - Nurse in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Nurse in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Valley Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty place that is trying hard to keep up with the new competition of Centura Hospital urgent care and clinics and Kaiser Permanent

Cons

Very Disorganized, there is no formal training program in the clinics (don't know about the hospital), no accountability for actions by employees or docs. favoritism

7. "Front desk"

I worked at Vail Valley Medical Center full-time

Pros

Gorgeous views, great co-workers, cafeteria was wonderful

Cons

Expensive cost of living in area

8. "Good employer"

Current Employee - PFS in Rifle, CO
    Current Employee - PFS in Rifle, CO

I have been working at Vail Valley Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good job in the mountains

Cons

You have to try to find a place to live in the mountains

9. "Clerical"

I worked at Vail Valley Medical Center full-time

Pros

Beautiful area, good co workers, most lower level supervisors easy to work with, benefits are good, co offers transportation during winter months

Cons

Change slow to happen, Managent does not listen to front line team members. Too quick toake knee jerk response to complaints

Advice to Management

Get to know your team, work on trust culture. Get all the facts before you make so many changes,

10. "Vice President, Diversified Services"

Former Employee - Practice Administrator in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Practice Administrator in Aurora, CO

I worked at Vail Valley Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

Terrific work environment and great people.

Cons

Frequent administrative changes from the top down. Employees never know where they stand so job security is a concern.