Vaisala Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 22, 2017

4.0
Kjell Forsén

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They are usually very flexible with work/life balance and have great benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, smart and interesting all around (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of mid-senior level managers are completely ineffective (in 2 reviews)

• There was a lack of trust outside of the head office (individuals were obvious exceptions but overall this was true) (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Vaisala full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees I worked with during my time there were great and it had a great environment. There is not a huge turn over rate from my experience. A lot of employees had over 5+ years working with the company.

Cons

Unfortunately, they moved the a large portion of operations to another state which caused small layoffs.

2. "Giant Leap Intern"

Current Intern - Giant Leap in Boulder, CO
    Current Intern - Giant Leap in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Vaisala as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Given ownership of an entire project, would not normally have received that kind of responsibility at an internship at a "bigger" company
    -I can confidently say that they have some of the smartest engineers I have worked alongside in my short career, they definitely have a high bar for quality of personnel
    -My manager was also one of the coolest individuals I have met
    -Colorado in the summers is great place to be
    - The president of the company gave us lessons in business and we got to present our work to the entire executive level management at the end of the internship. This kind of attention and focus could not have been provided in a larger company and that is one of the strongest reasons to consider Vaisala for your internship.

Cons

- Being paid 25$ an hour was significantly lesser than what my peers were making in other tech companies. If there was one thing that would turn people away from this internship it would be this.
    - Housing assistance should be provided to non local interns. It is really challenging to find a place to stay for just 3 months when you do not know anybody in Colorado.
    - I wish there were more opportunities to return full time after the internship but I wonder how much of the hiring decisions are made in US vs Finland

All things said, given a choice I would definitely pick Vaisala for my internship again over other opportunities for the high quality of work.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the Giant Leap program in US. It is definitely a great experience for the interns!

3. "Overall a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vaisala cares about their employees and it can be a fun and rewarding place to work. They are usually very flexible with work/life balance and have great benefits. They are fair and management tries to help and mentor their employees. They really care about customer service and always strive to improve it.

Cons

Everyone can be overloaded with meetings, so it can be difficult to talk to people when you need to. They have a very diverse product offering for a relatively small company, and they re-organize quite often, so things can be confusing at times.

Advice to Management

Things seemed to change so fast there - with new products, acquisitions and re-orgs, that everyone had trouble keeping up. Try to cut back on the number of meetings and the need for a consensus on everything, and let people focus on their strengths more.

4. "Comfortable place to work"

Current Employee - PMO Project Manager in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - PMO Project Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Vaisala full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being a European company, they have great work/life balance. Lots of paid time off. There are also opportunities to travel domestically and internationally depending on your position.

Cons

With most of the major corporate decisions coming from Helsinki, it can sometime feel like the North American offices don't have much say in the direction the company is going. It would be nice if each region could work a little more autonomously. Also, you can only go so far within the company since most of the senior level positions are in Finland and there is little turnover for the management roles.

5. "No complaints..."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Vaisala full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good work environment, stable company, interesting work.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to change or advance careers. Frequent restructuring over the last 5+ years has caused some organizational dysfunction.

6. "I enjoyed the work, the people and my direct management a lot (based on 2006 - 2010)."

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Louisville, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt as though my direct management was very supportive of my efforts. They provided appropriate tools as needed. My office was really nice and there was ample opportunity to learn. They put together company organized events which were really great. I only left because I had an opportunity to work on a project with really great people, which I could not pass up.

Cons

I didn't get the impression that there was a lot of room for moving up the chain of command. I was really there to be an engineer, so I wasn't so concerned and I only worked there for 4 years. Their industry is a difficult one and at the time, I think the upper management was not very imaginative. Upper management has been "restructured" since then and I hear good things.

Advice to Management

Support your lower management well. They are key to your success because they interface with the majority of employees directly and therefore the customers. Happy workers are a happy company. Put a lot of thought into every reorganization, because they are very stressful for the employees and there seems to be a reorganization every few years.

7. "Entry Level to mid-management in ~9 years"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Vaisala full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong benefits package, flexible schedule, relaxed work atmosphere

Cons

lost of mobility for anyone accept Americans. slow moving, reluctant to change.

8. "Solid company with good benefits, but very frustrating environment."

Current Employee - Process Expert/Business Systems Analyst in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Process Expert/Business Systems Analyst in Louisville, CO

Pros

- Treated very fairly as an employee
    - Benefits are not spectacular but are above average
    - The company intends to provide a good work environment and has good values

Cons

It is a very chaotic company. Processes are lacking and the business leadership to fix the problems is also lacking. This sometimes creates a very unfulfilling environment because it's difficult to accomplish what you want.

"A Great Place to Learn"

I have been working at Vaisala full-time

Pros

Great Products and Great Benefits

Cons

Working with product managers and other parties in Finland is challenging. Lack of training for new positions. All training is done by the employee on there own

10. "Solid Company"

Pros

Vaisala is an 80-year old company that is still doing business which means they know what they are doing. It has strong sustainability and customer practices. Fellow employees are kind, supportive, easy to reach, and believe in their hardware and services.

Cons

At 80-years old, they are firm in their ways, and relatively slow to innovate. A matrix organization, Vaisala seems to be regularly shifting leadership, leaving a little bit of confusion in the ranks.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and customers. Some management was good, but weakly supported. Some management was skilled in their particular field, but not knowledgable in the segment they were leading.