Valence Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Steve Wigginton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • they also allowed us to work from home often (in 9 reviews)

• Pay is decent, Health care is a joke (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing fast and has had challenges but overall Valence supports their front line teams (including mine) (in 7 reviews)

• High deductible for Health Insurance (in 5 reviews)

1. "Case/Disease Management Department"

Current Employee - Cm/Dm in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cm/Dm in Austin, TX

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supporting management. Flexible work schedules. Remote from home capability. Transparency. Merger and transition going smooth. I feel supported, cared for, and see growth potential in my continued journey with Valence/Evolent. Great pay and benefits! I LOVE my JOB!

Cons

Austin onsite meetings twice monthly over-doing. Make it monthly instead.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job! Thank you for your support.

2. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Valence Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provided free drinks, and wine/beer was served to us on Fridays! they also allowed us to work from home often

Cons

There is a lot of gossip, people are not friendly, they expect work over life sometimes

3. "Great COmpany"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work in, nice environment and everyone is nice and helpful. I would recommend this company to all.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be a little overwhelming, but over all the workload is fine and the hours are also good.

"Claims adjudicator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valence Health (More than a year)

Pros

Can work from home. Nice co-workers, for the most part. Advancement opportunities. Pay is decent, Health care is a joke.

Cons

Liars. They state that Illinois law requires that employee's must take a lunch within the 1st five hours of their shift. That is a California law, not a law in Illinois. The law in Illinois is - you must offer an employee the OPPORTUNITY to take a lunch if scheduled to work more then 6.5 hours. It is not a requirement that you MUST give them a lunch. Be ready for a write up if it is not taken within 5 hours.

Everyone is overworked, but upper managements has time to run reports to see if you are punching out for lunch within the 1st five hours of your shift.

Raise production to a unattainable number, again, just so more reports can be done in order to write people up. To many people running departments that do not know their head from their butt..

Managers should not be allowed to socialize outside of work with people they are in charge of.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging everything. Have the same rules for everyone, whether they are salary or hourly. Stop the attitude of "I AM GOING TO PROVE THAT I AM IN CHARGE". People get into a management position and they want to change everything, so they can prove, I AM IN CHARGE". Stop hiring friends/family members of management, who don't know what they are doing

"Case Manager"

Former Employee - Health Plan Case Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Health Plan Case Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Valence Health (More than a year)

Pros

CM worked very well together, Physicians worked well with CM team and would coordinate d/c planning together

Cons

Chaos on the floor, nursing staff unaware of patients needs for d/c

Advice to Management

Coordination of all health care providers to facilitate snd achieve a positive d/c for the patient

"Chance to work on some successful projects"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valence Health (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Valence was my first experience with Agile Development tools and techniques. Our implementation of Agile resulted in software that delivers real value, with better functionality, and quality. I can’t say that about other IT projects I’ve worked on elsewhere; so it’s very nice being part of a success.

My colleagues are rewarding people to work with. We’re a focused and motivated team with good leadership.

PTO is good and there are opportunities to work remotely. Location in the West Loop near Metra makes commuting convenient.

When I was hired two years ago, HR told me everyone who interviewed me said I was “one of them”. After two and half years, I feel very much a part of Valence, and very glad I am.

Cons

Healthcare’s going through plenty of changes so anyone not comfortable with change might consider a different industry. Otherwise Valence is very good place to be part of what’s coming next.

Advice to Management

It's been a very open work place and I've never hesitated to question, and share my thoughts. Please keep that culture going.

"Software Development in Chicago"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been on staff in our software development organization here in Chicago for about 18 months. Overall I have been impressed with this company. There is a willingness by all to learn, grow, and try new things. Mistakes are not handled with a hammer, but by taking accountability, finding root causes, and addressing them. Management is often in the trenches with the teams and has a strong technical understanding of the issues.

We are growing fast, so there is not a lot of hand-holding. Employees are expected to perform, often with some level of self direction. If you are the type who sit in waiting for someone to give you an assignment and micromanage you ever step of the way, this may not be the place for you. Strong thinkers and problems solvers will excel in a company with tons of room for personal, skill, and career growth.

Cons

Some of the processes are still in the maturation process. Again, if you are the type who like to be spoon feed your workload, you might have some trouble adapting here.

Advice to Management

Keep the environment light and fun as it is today. Our strength is in our ability to adapt to challenges through flexibility and creative thinking.

"Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Valence Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offer's WFH option for claims department, insurance options, 401k, HSA

Cons

Deductible on insurance is quite high, $2600.

"CLAIMS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Flexible schedule, the pay is okay

Cons

High deductible for Health Insurance
    Pay schedule not good...every 15th and the last day of the month...need every 2 weeks

"Valence is Growing"

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant/Office Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Valence Health full-time

Pros

It's a good company to work for. Our leaders are very knowledgeable and are always there to support us. Our staff is great, everyone is friendly and we have a lot of fun at work. We are getting new contracts and moving to the top in our field. We have extravagant parties! We get yearly bonuses! Who does that anymore! They have value awards for staff, I won!

Cons

We are growing and with growth comes changes... Changes to the way we do our jobs to keep up with the new demands of our contracts. I see this as positive but some don't understand that change is necessary. My 4 stars is because we do have a high insurance deductible.

Advice to Management

Keep us informed so people who don't grasp your visions don't make up things in their minds then twist them into something negative that's not true.