Valencia College Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sandy Shugart

Pros
Cons
  • Very few full time opportunities, it's adjunct or bust (in 19 reviews)

• As a part-time employee hours are limited to only 25 hrs per week with no opportunity for increase in hours at all (in 13 reviews)

1. "Just ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Valencia College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful colleagues, value-driven mission and vision, fabulous principles, and a school to stand behind.

Cons

Hard to get tenure since so few positions open yearly. There's no room for growth once you're in a four or eight month contract which means no raise (except standard of living, if that) to long-time, stable, good professors who have been going along with the grind for years.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring adjuncts fresh out of school into tenured positions, give professors who have patiently waited their turn the positions that weren't available when they started.

Evaluate deans and administrators yearly based off department morale as well as other institutional criteria. If you have unhappy employees working under you because you simply don't understand the needs of the department, they're more apt to leave when better opportunities present themselves.

2. "decent"

I have been working at Valencia College (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, continuing education opportunities, great co-workers

Cons

job satisfaction depends on your supervisor and departmental support, not enough work-life balance

3. "Retired"

Former Employee - Security Field Supervisor/Manager in Kissimmee, FL
    Former Employee - Security Field Supervisor/Manager in Kissimmee, FL

I worked at Valencia College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All the time off given due to students spring breaks and holidays. They also pay for the employees health insurance.

Cons

My department hired who they wanted. It appeared they don't consider who the best candidate or best fit would be.

Advice to Management

Talk to, lead, and appreciate your employees.

5. "Love it here"

I have been working at Valencia College full-time

Pros

Professional environment. Everyone is super positive and nice. They fully cover individual employee health care. They also pay competitively.

Cons

None really. It was difficult to get in as a full time employee. But I don't necessarily think that being particular about who you hire is a bad thing. :-)

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

6. "Excellent work environment"

I have been working at Valencia College part-time

Pros

Everyone is laid back and extremely fun. I could not ask for better supervisors or coworkers.

Cons

The pay is good for a new tutor, but you quickly realize that many would pay a pretty penny for the experienced tutor you will become. I stay for the convenience, fantastic atmosphere, low pressure, and leadership opportunities, while occasionally taking on a non-Valencia student for higher hourly pay.

Advice to Management

Pester those higher on the ladder in order to give the ASC more funding to higher more tutors. Also, we should have a meeting devoted to our whiteboard markers situation >.>

7. "I took transient courses here while I was at UCF and Valencia is definitely a great college."

Pros

The location in east Orlando if just far enough from the city to feel like "home" but still close enough to enjoy everything Orlando has to offer. All the amenities of a big university but there comfortable feeling of smaller class sizes.

Cons

From my experience at the university, there are no cons that I can speak to. This is a great college.

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Curriculum Assistant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Curriculum Assistant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Valencia College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Valencia won best community college in the nation for a reason. They care about their students and about their employees a great deal. There are always workshops for employees to grow and better themselves in some aspect, if they so wish. There is a newsletter, and plenty of meetings and get togethers that make you feel like you're a part of the community. They care about your thoughts and opinions. They acknowledge when you've reached a milestone with the company, etc. You feel valued, which, to me, is very important in a job.

Cons

I've only had one bad experience with Valencia, and it was at the east campus. This specific group of higher-ups were very clicky and did not treat their employees very well. I choose to think that was an exception, not a rule.

Advice to Management

Clearly management across all campuses have been doing the right thing, because Valencia is amazing. My only advice is for deans to make sure the people who answer to them don't get clicky, or aren't sweeping problems under the rug, hiding them and not dealing with them properly in order to make themselves look good, which is what happened to me. It felt like the dean was far too removed and the management under him did as they pleased and did not deal with issues like a mature management would have. We are all adults and I'd like to see that reflected across all departments and campuses at Valencia.

9. "Good"

I have been working at Valencia College full-time

Pros

Good opportunities to improve career

Cons

Nothing is bad about it

10. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Valencia College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

everyone is extremely friendly and willing to help.

Cons

Be prepared to do more than your job description.

11. "Adjunct Faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at Valencia College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organized, welcoming faculty, great students to work with

Cons

The pay is the same a floor nurse makes, but this is typical of most adjunct positions in the area.

Advice to Management

None, they are great to work with.