KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.9
Valero Energy Chairman, President and CEO Joe Gorder
Joe Gorder

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits for full time employees(in 92 reviews)
  • "Good pay and they frequently offer jobs to their Co(in 60 reviews)
  • "Most people were great to work with and wanted to help you succeed(in 38 reviews)
  • "Valero truly values their employees and have a great culture based around safety and community.(in 17 reviews)
  • "Good work environment.(in 15 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Valero Energy and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

love it!

Apr 19, 2022 - Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

amazing culture, great people, loved the work

Cons

not very many, can be repetitive in an analyst role

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great pay, great benefits, amazing culture

Mar 24, 2022 - Tech Support Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Valero offer competitive benefits, pay, opportunities to develop and grow. Working at Valero began as a big culture shock. Never had I ever felt as appreciated and a vital contributing team member in any workplace prior to Valero. Plus my pay was amazing and the training was always available and very beneficial.

Cons

Anyone working at Valero is blessed because employees are taken care of. However, there was a lot if favoritism for family members, or friends creating cliques and some who advance are poor leaders. The pay keeps people happy, but some poor relationships with leaders created toxicity at times, resulting in lacking performance.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good Comapany

May 10, 2022 - Materials Coordinator in Albert City, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, very simple work.

Cons

There is some beuacracy, seeing it is a large corp.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Hardworking Office

Apr 26, 2022 - Software Developer I
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good teammates. Beautiful Office

Cons

Hardworking workplace, feels discouraged to socialize with coworkers because it may be considered slacking off

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great job

Apr 28, 2022 - Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Its easy and you meet people

Cons

Long hours and average pay

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good people

Apr 28, 2022 - Planner in Texas City, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I like the people and the location

Cons

organizational changes from management changes

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Such A Good Company to Work For

Apr 2, 2022 - Multimedia Production Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

They really care about their employees and go to great lengths to show it. There is also a strong culture of teamwork. Hard work is definitely recognized and rewarded, but working only for yourself gets you nowhere.

Cons

Not much to say here.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Internship for anyone looking to pursue a job in the energy industry

Mar 13, 2022 - Internship in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Valero there was always someone to talk to and someone to help you discover more about yourself. As an intern, I was assigned 2 projects to complete throughout the summer and had a great time doing so!

Cons

At times I would be sitting there with no work to do waiting on approvals for the work I had done. This left me with a lot of stagnant time looking for things to do.

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

cash handling, stock, customer service

Apr 10, 2022 - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hands on with customers, rewarding work and you gain experience.

Cons

can be dangerous working alone at night and can get busy at times

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don’t work here

Apr 13, 2022 - Intern in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is no amount of money that Valero could pay me to work at this company. If you want to age rapidly and develop health issues from the high stress, then be my guest.

Cons

At Valero Energy, it’s not about your skills but rather who you know. You could literally have a non-technical degree and become a refinery scheduler and go on to be a trader (met someone like this and he straight up said he got the job through connections). There is nepotism at every corner. Most of the interns got there through connections. Whether the CFO is your uncle, you have a family friend high up in HR, or your dad manages a refinery, most of the interns got there by knowing someone. The amount of sexism that was present was overwhelming. I felt like I was in the 1900s and I might as well be a secretary. Many of the female interns would complain about their partners stealing their ideas and presenting them as their own (happened to me too), or being cut off while talking. My male partner for the group internship did not pull his weight at all and this also happened to several other female interns. I basically did the entire project. Could I complain about this? NO. Management does not provide constructive criticism, but rather criticism that is subjective and not helpful in any sense. “You’re too technical/analytical,” “we don’t know how you’ll fit in” Many of the jobs for newcomers are 24/7 so if you care about having work life balance then this is not the place for you. Everyone seemed on edge and fake here. They require you to attend an excessive amount of social events, and guess what? You don’t get paid for them. And by require, I mean there’s social pressure to attend and if you don’t, you probably will not get promoted or get a job (intern). I kid you not, they wanted us to attend an event on Father’s Day and then looked down at us when we did not show up. Um, hello? Some of us would rather spend Father’s Day with our fathers !!! Expect several events lasting upwards 8+ hours on your days off. On top of this, you are expected to handle issues on your own. For example, one of the interns complained to her supervisor that their partner was playing computer games instead of helping with the project. This intern happened to have an uncle who is very high up so guess who ended up getting in trouble? That’s right, the person actually doing their job. Another intern had her project completely deleted by another intern and she took this to her supervisors, again guess who got in trouble? Bingo! The person whose project was deleted. 🤡 Another intern was sexually harassed by her partner but she did not feel comfortable going to anyone about this. You may ask why? Because the people who complained or went to management with their problems didn’t get the job. What baffled me is that many people in upper management openly talk about how there is no such thing as global warming. Uhm, okay there is scientific evidence that states the contrary but let’s just ignore all the scientists that actually went to school to study that. No mask mandate was lifted shortly after the interns joined, mind you, this is when covid was still at its peak. I felt forced to not wear a mask because I would not “fit in.” Many of the interns ended up sick and had to take off. Time and attendance. Even the HR people were quite something. If you forget to clock in your time and attendance expect the reminder to get cc'ed to your boss, your boss’s boss, and expect messages from practically the whole HR team. They say there’s not a ranking system but that’s not true. There’s not a formal ranking system but you’re still ranked. If you don’t mind working with bullies or are a bully yourself then this is the place for you.

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 585 Reviews

Valero Energy Reviews FAQs

Valero Energy has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 725 reviews left anonymously by employees. 72% of employees would recommend working at Valero Energy to a friend and 70% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Valero Energy employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Valero Energy. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

72% of Valero Energy employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Valero Energy 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Valero Energy to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, management.

Popular Careers with Valero Energy Job Seekers