Valero Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Valero Energy Chairman, President and CEO Joe Gorder
Joe Gorder

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, management picks and rewards favorites regardless of work ethic or knowledge (in 11 reviews)

• traditional environment, traffic in san antonio is annoying (in 10 reviews)

1. "Sadly disappointed."

Former Employee - Process Operator in Texas City, TX
    Former Employee - Process Operator in Texas City, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was great, physical aspect of the job because it passes time, working outside because it allows you to be active and not sit behind a computer all day, how their were opportunities to do more and help with projects and get more experience, most of my co-workers were great and didn't mind being a team player, the benefits were excellent.

Cons

Shift work, getting forced to work overtime a lot, working holidays, the long shifts, relief time being so early in the morning.

Personally for me, the HR team at Texas City was TERRIBLE.

Advice to Management

Do something to mediate the problem when someone feels threatened by a co-
    worker. When someone says they are being stalked all the time, gets called deragatory names, feels scared for their life because the co-worker is so sporadic and nuts, and tells you this guy tried to run them over with a golf cart, TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

2. "EHSS Manager - Ethanol"

Former Employee - EHS Manager
    Former Employee - EHS Manager

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees try very hard to do the right thing

Cons

Hostile work environment
    Male oriented
    No independent thinking
    Hours are excessive 70+ for months

Advice to Management

Plant Managers are unqualified
    Endanger employees

"Asst Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The 4 1k was good and so was the insurance

Cons

The company is run by morons

Advice to Management

They need to be re trained

4. "cashier/customer service"

I worked at Valero Energy part-time

Pros

getting to meet different people and helping those who are visiting the store regularly

Cons

improper training by employee's who picked favorite new hire's to train properly

Advice to Management

management should follow up when putting training in the hands of another employee

"Will work you to death for barely a living income"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Valero Energy (More than a year)

Pros

The worst place because they expect so much and often take it personally when you are unable to perform.

Cons

Have to deal with the demands of an aging "manager" that has been probably with the company plus fourteen years and Valero is literally working to death just to pay rent and buy groceries

Advice to Management

Get a real job don't be scared to be what you want to be

"Valero Welcome Renewable Plant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Welcome, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Welcome, MN

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Valero Energy group provides good benefits and pay for their employees and if you are a member of an elite group of backside kissers you get paid even better than deserved.

Cons

I cannot speak for the relationship between management and employees at other facilities, but I can give my perspective of the Welcome, MN facility.

At this facility you will find some really good people, some really good friends and a career that you may want to take pride in. The good people and hard workers are unfortunately; leaving or are being blackballed out of a job at this facility. I believe it has everything to do with taking pride in your work. Those people that you can count on, that take pride in their work and would ultimately just like to put in an honest day’s work to earn a living, plain and simply aren't being appreciated. There is a good deal of favoritism shown to people that are truly lazy or just have poor work ethics because they know how to "schmooze" or kiss hindquarters. Alternatively, those people that show up every day on time and try to do their best seem to get no recognition at all. This has lead the Welcome facility to a point where a large number of the experienced staff are looking to move on or are being forced to move on; as they question management or are tired of being treated poorly by management because they know more about the position they hold than management themselves. They have tried and tried to move up based on merits, but this doesn’t work as the “schmoozers” are really good at being ‘Yes Men’ and not thinking for themselves. The hard working employees have tried to make improvements to the everyday work life only to have it all demolished by those that really do not care or by poor choices made by management for which they never take credit. I have witnessed such things as a member of management making changes which produced wasted product and then they knowingly let someone else take the blame for the mistake. I have witnessed certain managers turn his/her cheek on a safety issue that he/she was involved in, but others are fired for much smaller issues by comparison.
    Although most people would choose to do right by the community and donate to a good cause; you will be forced to donate to the United Way and also to volunteer a certain number of hours the Valero only approved events each year. You will be badgered by the administration until you do both of these things and if you make the decision not to do either of these things your raise and bonus are threatened.

Suffice it to say that I could go on and on about these issues, but I won't. Just keep an eye open for all of the job postings that come open over and over again and again. The amount of turnover should speak for itself.

I wouldn’t not recommend applying for a job at this facility unless you have absolutely nothing in your background check and if you are the type of individual who would have nothing in your background check; you’re too good to work here and will grow frustrated very quickly because of the things I’ve mentioned above. If you do decide to apply for a position at this facility; keep in mind that if you are the sort of individual that likes to take ownership or pride in his/her work, you will be sorely disappointed here as I see no improvements being made at this facility with local or corporate management.

Advice to Management

I pretty much summed things up in the cons section of this review and hope that people read through this and keep this all in mind as employees leave this facility because of the local and corporate management.

"working for working at the Valero"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Valero Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice clean store to work at

Cons

Management is rude and not friendly

Advice to Management

They need to hire a manager that knows how to treat people and be drama free

"Disappointed"

Pros

Great employees excluding current management team.

Cons

Management from the top down.

Advice to Management

Find your happiness in ways other than firing people.

"Avoid working here at all costs"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Old Ocean, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Old Ocean, TX

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation and health insurance benefits are the only perks. Sometimes a kind customer will slip you a tip.

Cons

Managers treat CSR's like crap, yell and insult you, complete nepotism and corruption in every facet of upper management including HR, extorting CSR's for money when product is damaged or for drive-offs, they don't care if you're sick while working, I could go on forever about the hell of working here.

Advice to Management

Stop letting store mangers treat employees like crap, provide better oversight and ethics reviewers, hire more workers for shifts, quit covering the butts of corrupt evil managers

"Worst Job ever!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Valero Energy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Co-Workers and the regular customers

Cons

Everything else from management, dumb cameras everywhere, mindset and mentality of the workplace, no breaks, no discount for purchases which is unbelievable, long hours (my weekends never existed), low morale, and this place is just horrible!
    Never Again!!!

Advice to Management

Wolves in sheeps clothing. I aint no sheep Im a guard dog! Never met people who are so senile! They appear friendly but will doublecross you when it suits them!